JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey im looking to buy my first tactical shoty. Was looking primarily at the mossberg models. I really want a 18.5" barrel, capacity i dont care so much about, i like the parkerized, price is huge if theres a big difference. My plans with it are to go pistol grip with folding stock get an extended top rail with red dot, flashlight under tube, and id like to try and find a rail for the front grip so i can put on a foldable vert handle.

Anyones .02 on which shotgun would be best? Im thinking 590A1 parkerized 18.5 but how hard are these to come by?

Any info would be greatly apprectiated

I had a Mossberg 500 that was my first pump shotgun that I used for bird hunting for many years, putting several thousand rounds through it. I purchased an 18 inch barrel for it for woods deer hunting which I never used for that purpose. Eventually the trigger housing broke, which is made from plastic in commercial guns (it is metal in military spec guns) and the action would not lock up as a result. So, by this time I had other shotguns and decided I would make a "home defense" gun from the Mossberg. I got a new trigger mechanism/housing and a new magazine spring from Brownell's which are easy to install yourself. Then I found a Mossberg manufactured adjustable ghost ring sight on the web and had a gunsmith install it on the action and the 18 inch barrel. He also stripped the paint off and anodized the receiver. He also put sling swivels on it. Made a pretty handy little gun that is very reliable. Down side is the conversion probably cost me more than I paid for the original Mossbrerg in the first place. I like it, but still prefer my 9 shot FN SLP, which is an awesome semi auto tactical shotgun.

Lot's of choices out there, not many bad ones.

I have had a Mossberg 500 for the last 14 years, and it's never missed a beat. No idea how many shells I have put through it.

I like the Rem. 870's as well, and if I was purchasing a new 12ga, good chance I would pick one of those up.

Something to remember, Mossberg has their safety on the top rear of the receiver, which is a great location if you are using a standard stock. But it's a bad position if you decided to get a stock with a pistol grip on it, like the Knoxx stocks.

The Mossberg is really nice but I prefer the action of the Remington 870. It just seems smoother. Nothing beats the realiability and psycological inpact of a pump shotgun.

A long time Deputy, who worked the seediest beat (because he liked it), told me that he could walk into a barroom brawl, fire a rounds with his sidearm and get about 1/2 the crowds attention. If he racked the shotgun he got everyones attention.

Thanks everyone for the replys! I happend to go to the gun show today and walk out with a brand new H&K FP6 hahaha got good plans for this one as well. Holds 7+1, 20inch barrel unfortunantly but i didnt find it a problem. Its already upgraded with rails and obviously the extended mag tube. I thought it was a good deal anyway.

This is my shoty as of tonight. Still more to come on this bad boy! :cool: haha cant wait to finish it up

shoty.jpg

In my experience, the Mossberg tends to loosen up after a while. Forearm slop is one of my pet peeves. Surprisingly enough, my Norinco 870 copy is holding up much better than my 500. Benelli's are a good choice too.

Benelli M1 is really nice but too high on price. I would buy stoeger (I think that is how it spell) it same company making M1 for cheaper price $450 at bimart 18" barrel with pistol grip.

I absolutely love my FN SLP and have nothing but great things to say about the weapon. (I also own 2 converted Saigas) Dis/assembly is so easy, I clean the bolt every time it is taken out. While tactical, I actually use it for trap out at Renton Fish & Game as well. Two friends who have shot it have subsequently bought it a few months later. If a gun action could be made as smooth as glass, the SLP would be it.

Tactical (3 Gun?), home defense, hunting and trap the SLP is something to look into. I don't mind the 590, I have used and like it--but use the SLP just once and you'll be sold.

I shoot my mossberg a lot more then my 870, its a bit lighter then my tact out 870, but for accessories and interchangable mag capacity. id get an 870, here's mine
1281883490.jpg

some four shotguns, two Mossburgs, an 870 and a Win 1300. For home/RV defense I chose the Win 1300. The action is short and smooth plus it works great with the ½ size Aguila rounds I use. I have 13 rds. loaded and the saddle has an add'l five 00's in it in case I need to "reach out" further with more power. I wish there was a Vang Comp barrel for it though!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top