JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know, there are probably dozens of similar threads but my circumstances are a bit different. Our club is going to host a raffle and when we were discussing prizes, one of the ideas was a knife. My knife knowledge is limited to the Boy Scouts pocketknife I have carried or forty years, so I am turning to the good folks here at NWFA for suggestions on an appropriate knife for a raffle prize. It needs to be something not too specialized, preferably upper-end quality, have a general appeal, maybe useful for hunting and as a kitchen knife?? Cost isn't as important as value, value in utility, quality and appeal as a prize. Perhaps once a few suggestions are made I will know enough to ask a few more questions. Thank you for your help!!

Budget drives a lot of choices; type of affiliation and reason for the awarded knife gives other focus.

Sometimes such decisions can be best handled by simply raffling a GIFT certificate to a particular knife company. There are several in the PDX sector. And sometimes that issuing card company will kick in a certain 'special deal' for their own promotional interests.

Don't be afraid to draw up a list of particulars and actually promote the raffle as a way to generate new business for a company's New Line coming out next month, etc.

One of my favorite utility/camping/picnic knives (a "kitchen knife" needs a sheath to bring anywhere but the kitchen remember) is a Mauser folder.. because serious bone saw and corkscrew. lol

1488246106_51_850_1.jpg

Esee Avispa folder.

Great knife and is very cheap at knifworks.com ($24.99 base last I looked). The one pictured below is the D2 steel with G10 carbon fiber scale.

If not a folder then I'd pick the Esee 6", my favorite fixed blade and also way under what Amazon sells them for at the above .com. Good for anything a fixed blade can be used for, from kitchen work to fighting.

Also the Esee's have a lifetime warrenty so they are worth the extra 10-20% over similar knives imo.

IMG_1618.JPG IMG_1619.JPG IMG_1617.JPG

I just got an Ontario RAT folder with Christmas money that I already love. I think it was $35.99 at Sportsman's Warehouse. It's not super heavy (to me at least) at exactly 5.0 ounces according to our baking scale. Fits super well in my big ol' monkey hands. Nice blade on it, sharpens well and comes razor sharp out of the box. The blade is 3 3/8 inches long from the start of the edge by the handle to the tip of the blade and the handle is 5 inches long and just over 1 inch wide. I personally love it, just my experience though.
B46288F3-0716-4C1B-B2FC-E5FC89C9ACDB.jpeg
93ADCC98-BDAF-4B40-84DD-8758D249AB23.jpeg
89ACF235-1A86-4750-8708-0B0C6AC822C6.jpeg
9CD3EA28-D25B-4F75-9F4F-E49C209B4DD1.jpeg

All the good knifemakers you will ever need are in the Portland Metro, my suggestion would be a fixed and a folder. Something like a black line Benchmade is high enough quality and limited quantities so they have a good chance of becoming family heirlooms which should help sell your tickets.

I know, there are probably dozens of similar threads but my circumstances are a bit different. Our club is going to host a raffle and when we were discussing prizes, one of the ideas was a knife. My knife knowledge is limited to the Boy Scouts pocketknife I have carried or forty years, so I am turning to the good folks here at NWFA for suggestions on an appropriate knife for a raffle prize. It needs to be something not too specialized, preferably upper-end quality, have a general appeal, maybe useful for hunting and as a kitchen knife?? Cost isn't as important as value, value in utility, quality and appeal as a prize. Perhaps once a few suggestions are made I will know enough to ask a few more questions. Thank you for your help!!

The 2 most useful knives a person can own IMO are a Swiss Army knife (the model with the scissors, saw, knife, etc) got one for $25 on Amazon recently.

Also the leatherman wave (use eBay to snipe them for about $45) as opposed to retail at $90

Apart from hand to hand combat. There isn't anything both those aren't extremely useful with.

All the good knifemakers you will ever need are in the Portland Metro, my suggestion would be a fixed and a folder. Something like a black line Benchmade is high enough quality and limited quantities so they have a good chance of becoming family heirlooms which should help sell your tickets.

Have to agree... Lots of great choices here, Portland is the knife capitol of the USA.

A high end Gerber would be a good choice. Also, a Kershaw Automatic or Zero Tolerance. Bi-Mart has the 0770CF and 0450CF for $149.
Leatherman does have some high end multi-tools, so you can't go wrong there. I have one from when I was on the sub and I have a MUTT in my range bag.

I only have one Gerber so I don't know their sharpening/warranty services, but Kershaw will sharpen any of their knives for free.

Also, Benchmade will also sharpen knives for free, and re-grind if there is an broken tip. I have an old Pacific Cutlery Bali-Song that they reshaped for me.

I don't have any but CRKT and Coast are also local companies.

Go high end for a good raffle.

Cool factor works too.

Check out Piranha Knives for some really attractive stuff.

What is your market crowd? Hunters, outdoorsmen, fishermen....you need to target the people that you want to sell tickets to. Oregon has some of the best makers on the planet but I love my German Puma knives and the only folder that always works for me is a Victoriknox Swiss Army. I am not a folding knife guy in general.

Thanks all for the help!! Lots to think about;
Originally planned on a fixed blade, after all aren't all real knives fixed?? Obviously not!! A folder looks like a better option.
Budget can be whatever we want it to be, originally thought ~$100 or less. Looked at Spyderco among others; Holy crap $550 for a knife??:eek: Lots of cheaper options of course, but wow!! I'll check out the other brands mentioned soon.
The gift certificate is not a bad idea, but I think we want something tangible to show people. I will still ask about some sort of promo though.:)
Maybe two knives together, one fixed, one folder,would be a good option.
I think we'll stick with a knife that is just a knife for now.
The knife won't be the primary prize in the raffle, probably third, maybe second. Still want something decent though.
Pointy and sharp got it. Definitely sharp.:D
Target market is mostly hunters and shooters, and the people that buy raffle tickets for them.;)

Thousands of knives will bring you thousands of opines on which is right.
Narrowing the field would make it some what easier.
You mentioned multiple duty which immediately brought to mind fillet knives.
A quality thin and flexible 6 to 8 inch Fillet knife might have more universal use and acceptance.
I use mine for a lot more than fish both camping, hunting and butchering.
Mines an old Solingen from Germany, but new others I've seen look real sweet, Maybe a Henckles or Wusthof?
I don't see how any sportsman can do without one myself.

Paramount; Make sure it has a case, sheath, or scabbard to keep it nice.

If the audience is hunters, shooters, and general outdoorsman, I think the Esee route Joe mentioned is a good route but I'd go with the Esee 4. It's a much more user friendly size for hunting or around camp. Can be used for batoning kindling, skinning, food prep, etc. Esee is a very respectable brand in the bushcraft community. It comes with a pretty good kydex and molle sheath.

Also look at anything from the Benchmade Hunt series. I personally have the Saddle Mountain Skinner and the Steep Country Hunter. Both great knives. And as mentioned for folders the Benchmade Griptilian or maybe a Benchmade Bug out.

I have all the knives mentioned above and would be pretty stoaked to win any of these knives in a raffle.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top