JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Did the paddle break off? I've had that happen, but on a standard forged AR. I just hammered out the pin (after taping everything up, of course) and replaced it with a new catch and new roll pin.

Does the Mega use a different kind?

Where did it break, got a picture? Huh after looking around some I found this pic which is supposed to be a MATEN bolt catch.
20130309_141853.jpg
Then looking around some more I see that this
p_231000273_1.jpg
Is a DPMS part https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...bolt-catches/308-ar-bolt-catch-prod43837.aspx

My AERO M5E1 is supposed to be DPMS and I use the V7 S7 BOLT CATCH NP3 308/DPMS/SR25
img_4209.jpg

So now everything is just clear as mud to me. Just went and grabbed my homebuilt LR/308 and my bolt catch looks just like the np3 coated version above. I'm definitely a little confused why some bolt catches have the extra bit of shelf built in and others do not?

FYI the V7's black or np3 are made from tool steel not MIM junk.

Did the paddle break off? I've had that happen, but on a standard forged AR. I just hammered out the pin (after taping everything up, of course) and replaced it with a new catch and new roll pin.

Does the Mega use a different kind?

This is what I do not know. I will have to look it up. Problem is Mega was bought out, and parts weren't being manufactured for a time. The catch came already in the lower, and I know that some of the items in the lower are specific to Mega. That is why I think it MAY be different.

Yep. Just buy the new bolt stop and install. You can use the roll pin, spring and detent over again. Tap the roll pin in gently with a roll pin punch. Easy to align and center the rest with your fingers. Lock down the receiver. Perhaps a learned skill but easy. Touch up any shinning surface on the roll pin with instant cold blue.

Or you can run your platform without the bolt stop. We have changed out busted bolt stops at the range sitting Indian fashion with the gun on our legs and laps. No big deal. Fun. Easy. You can fix this.

The Mega does not use a standard roll pin (That park I know). it is an allen keyed pin.

I will take it apart when I get back from hunting next week. To much to do this week.
If it is a standard bolt catch/release. Is there a company that makes one for the extra spring strength and BCG weight of a AR-10?

If it is a standard bolt catch/release. Is there a company that makes one for the extra spring strength and BCG weight of a AR-10?

I use Forward Controls Design, they make a 308 version but I know nothing about Mega nor it's compatibility. Give Roger a call, is a great guy and knows his stuff. He'll be able to tell you.

Roll pins are a one time use item, toss it and get another 50 cent part.

Not sure what the issue is here. How is a Mega bolt release any different than other 308 sized releases?

The bolt catch is specific to what kind of magazine the rifle uses. Cause the magazine activates the bolt catch after last round is fired.

Also if one choses to use a USGI spec. bolt latch then pretty much in spec. magazine would or should work. Also if you do not have a bunch of dinky small pesky spare parts including many proper roll pins then you can use that roll pin over again.

Cold blue for any remaining shiny marks on steel. Water rinse. Instant aluminum black on any nicks on any aluminum. Be sure to clean throughly with acetone immediately before applying the aluminum black. Aluminum oxidizes immediately.

My bolt catch broke on my 6.5 CM. Bad part, is it was on a Mega MATEN. Anyone know if there is a replacement bolt catch for this?

(Oh Please, oh please... do not let a $10 part take down my whole AR!)
Email Rainier Arms.
They are/were a long time Mega dealer. The original.
They should know which mag catch works in the MATEN.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top