JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok guys and gals, I'm looking to purchase a suppressor or two. These will be my first experience with suppressors. I'm leaning towards the SilencerCo sparrow 22 for my ruger with the pac-lite barrel as well as my 17HMR bolt gun. The other I'm about to pull the trigger on is the Sandman S for primary use on my 9" 300blk AR. The sandman may see a little use on my 7.62x39 AR and probably the 5.56 as well. I realize the gains won't be substantial on the 5.56. The other possibility was a rugged razor 7.62. So what say you? Are these good choices, are there other options I should be more interested in?

I coat the interior baffle and clam shells of my Sparrow with high temp nickle Never-Seez, as it really helps keeping the .22 ammo lead from sticking.
Love the can, just not the cleanup.

My .02... rimfire suppressor a must. And a .30 caliber with quick mount so you can use on different setups. I have a sparrow with over 10k rounds through it and it's flawless. My .30 caliber purchase was a yhm titanium with quick detach. I have used it on many rifles up to 308, although rated to 300ultra mag. Since the yhm I just buy direct fit thread on's for my 300blackout and 9mm pistol ar. No sense needing everything to be quick. You will get the bug and but more after shooting suppressed

The sparrow @ $300 is a darn good deal. All steel construction, means cleaning is a breeze.

Im not sure if the silencerco buy one get one free is still going, but that might make for a SilencerCo 30 cal if it's still going. Might want to look into that.

Out of all the 30 cals I've heard, I would say the YHM offerings are incredibly hard to beat. The R2 and R2k are feature rich without the absurd cost of some of the others. Might want to look at those too.

I coat the interior baffle and clam shells of my Sparrow with high temp nickle Never-Seez, as it really helps keeping the .22 ammo lead from sticking.
Love the can, just not the cleanup.
I have an ultrasonic cleaner, hopefully that will help with the cleaning process.

I have an ultrasonic cleaner, hopefully that will help with the cleaning process.
CLR is the easiest way to clean 22 cans, or any can really (no aluminum). Just fill up a plastic container, throw everything in, wait. It dissolves everything without having to scrub or anything of that nature. Cerakote gets stripped eventually, so if you care about that don't dip those parts.
1641073402148.jpeg

Sandman S owner and it was part of the first batch of cans I purchased. I have shot it on 5.56, 308, 300blk and 7.62x39 with all of them being loud through this can. I have shot it on these same calibers next to a Rex MG7 .308, YHM R2k and YHM R2. The Rex and YHM R2 were far better with sound suppression at a much nicer price point. I would NOT buy my Sandman S again if given a chance to redo my purchase. Nothing wrong with the can but there are much better can's for my needs. The Sandman S is good if you are looking for a lower back pressure can to handle mag dumps or select fire use. The Sandman S plus muzzle device is a heavy pig on the end of your barrel.

If I were to do it over again, I would have purchased a Nomad 30 or better yet now, a Nomad Ti instead of the Sandman S. The Nomad Ti would suit my shooting needs much better and is a similar price point to the Sandman S. If it were me, I would spend less on your 30 cal can and put another $100 towards your 22lr can.

I have no first hand experience with any of the SiCo 22lr cans and am not a SiCo fan in general. I feel they have done little innovation in recent years and are living on their name and prior reputation. While other companies are pushing the boundaries with things like 3d printing, improved mounting devices, cutting edge design, etc... The 22 Sparrow is 14 years old and using an antiquated monocore design. I would look to some of the more modern 22lr suppressors like the Dead Air Mask (#1 recommendation if you will only have 1 22lr suppressor), Q El Camino, Rugged Oculus, Thunderbeast 22 take down, YHM Phantom 22, CGS Hydra SS or my favorite 22lr pistol can the Energetic Arms Nyx or Nyx Mod2. I have rounds down range with all these 22lr cans and they all do a great job. I would make my choice based on which features most appealed to me for my use case like reduced first round pop, weight, length/width, construction material, manufacturer warranty and online service/support reviews, availability and whether the company looked on track to be around well into the future.

If possible, go handle the cans your interested in at a shop, take them apart in the case of the 22lr cans, see how the Keymo mounting system and other mounting systems work, feel what they are like hanging off the end of a barrel, etc.... Your buying something with no resale value, long waiting period and each one comes with a $200 tax for your troubles. If you can find someone to let you put some rounds down range suppressed it will greatly help you in your choices.

You could look at the dead air primal. It's a .46 caliber model rated up to .338 lapua pressures and will take sandman end caps if you want to make the exit hole smaller. Can also get a keymo adapter. It won't be the best at anything but it will do just about everything. And you'll have much less to worry about a concentric thread set on an AK with the extra .16 bore

Alright, I like the looks of the dead air mask. Just moved that to the top of my list over the sparrow. Looking at the above mentioned 30 cal options. Is there an advantage to purchasing more then one at a time or does it make any difference?

Another thing to consider. As much fun and practical that suppressors seem. They are not all movie like with zero noise. They can be when combined with the correct caliber, bullet and powder selections. 22lr and blackout are the best for me as far as quiet. Hearing safe is the key to me and so I choose some suppressors to fit under hangaurd and such like on a 9mm or any short barrel configuration. That may not be super quiet but are hearing safe and compact

Alright, I like the looks of the dead air mask. Just moved that to the top of my list over the sparrow. Looking at the above mentioned 30 cal options. Is there an advantage to purchasing more then one at a time or does it make any difference?
No advantage to buying all at once other than the clock starts on your form 4 approval. Sooner you submit your form 4 the sooner you get it back. On rare occasions folks get a batch approval but they are very rare and the ones I know of weren't purchased all at once but over the course of weeks or months. Unless you are just looking to spend money, look at suppressors like tattoos, you spend a lot of money for them and you have them the rest of your life.

I am sure there is someone out there who regrets buying a Dead Air Mask but I have yet to find them. Its generally considered the king of the rimfire cans right now on most forums, video reviews, blogs and customer reviews. You won't be disappointed.

Others may feel differently but until you have shot and played with a centerfire suppressor of any type, you don't know what you don't know. I personally think it takes firsthand experience before you start to realize what you actually want. There are some centerfire cans where most folks don't have any regrets over purchasing them. Cans I would put into the no or limited regrets group would be the Dead Air Nomad 30 and Nomad Ti if you don't mind the premium over the Nomad 30, YHM Turbo T2 (5.56 can), YHM Resonator R2. I am not saying these cans are the best but they do represent great value and performance across a wide spectrum of hosts. They also offer a 1.375 x 24 threaded back end which is becoming the quasi industry standard/norm. Why is this thread pitch important? Because it opens up a wide variety of mounting options and doesn't lock you into any one vendor's proprietary mounting solution.

I just ordered my first can, and I settled in the Deadair Mask 22lr can over the Sparrow. My research indicated that it had a slight leg up. No first hand experience yet. Word on the street is that the new form 4 e-file will take 90 days. Here's hoping.

My first uniformed mistake/can purchase was the SC Omega 9K. If the shop owner would have pointed me in the direction of versatility I would have gone with the Omega 45K instead. The wait time for my Form 4 approval to stamp in my hand was 9 months on the Omega. My second can was a SC Warlock II. That one took 7 months to get approved but the turds at TJ's in MAC lost my stamp somewhere and lied to me for 2 months by saying the ATF hadn't sent out stamps to them in ages. 🤦‍♂️ Steer clear of them for your ATF NFA needs! I run the Warlock on a few semis and really like the CCI Standard Velocity, and CCI Suppressor ammo the best so far. I ordered the Volquartsen https://volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/1086 kit for my 22/45. With the lightest recoil spring installed and it eats the above two offerings like crayons. However it won't get the spent CCI Quiet rounds out of the way so I have to manually cycle the bolt. Maybe when things break in more the Quiets will run in the 22/45 eventually but I'm 100% ecstatic with the ammo that works. I even ran the Warlock II on a stock new Begara BXR and all I can say is that it's "Insanely quiet fun". My third can the Q Trash Panda is in jail at @HighLine until I get the phone call that my stamp is in. So with that let me preach this, get a can that is versatile so you can run it on multiple calibers. Go with direct thread and also look at Q's Cherry bombs and Plan B's and steer clear of the quick detach options. That route with the mentioned muzzle devices and accessories will save your pocket book and you from the embarrassment of sending your can down range in front of seasoned veterans. :D Also def. get set up on a SilencerShop kiosk. This will also put you in the cat bird seat to keep your passport style photo updated and also it keeps your fingerprints on file and in the event you ever decide to submit a Form 3 E-file down the road you can e-mail your ATF cover letter to Silencer Shop pay them $15 and they'll print and ship your finger print cards to the ATF. That will save you the trip to get printed or from you buying an ink pad and doing the messy task yourself. I've had those Form 3 approvals in as little as 3 weeks. Hate to be redundant but really consider buying a versatile can and not a one trick pony.

Last Edited:
I will definitely take the advice from you guys, thank you this is exactly what I was looking for. As far as versatility....my thought is in the long run I would rather have multiple cans then swap them around all the time. One will practically live on the Pac-lite 22. One will be almost always used on the 300blk with the occasional swap to the 7.62x39 or 5.56 AR. So that one I would prefer to have the 1.375 thread. Eventually I will get another dedicated can for the 9mm AR pistol as well. Other then the 5 guns I have mentioned I don't really have any interest in suppressing any other guns I have....of course that's subject to change once I start playing with them.

The Rugged Razor 7.62 is a good can for everything from 5.56 up to 300 WM. The supersonic crack still causes me to wear earmuffs, but if I was hunting I wouldn't bother.

Other then the 5 guns I have mentioned I don't really have any interest in suppressing any other guns I have..
Easy turbo! Just for starters.....

Cans: 599.99 X 5 = $2999.95

Muzzle devices/adapters: $65 X 5 = $325.00

Tax Stamps: $200 X 5 = $1000

Total: $4324.95

Hope you catch one of those Silencer Shop or Silencer Co. promos cause you are gonna be handing out some dough. That's $3999.95 paid up front that will be tied up for 9 to 12 months while your cans sit in gun shop jail waiting for approvals. How often do you shoot? Can you shoot 3 or 5 guns at once? :D
Take a drive up to Newberg and see David @HighLine He has an SS kiosk and he'll take good care of you.

Last Edited:
Well so far I'm really only effective with one at a time, that doesn't mean I should only have one thou! Lol To be clear one of the cans would cover 3 of the five guns I am wanting to suppress. Another will cover two guns, the AR9 will have it's own dedicated can. So really three will cover what I want, and that investment, or should I say expense, doesn't hold a candle to what's already in the safe so screw it. 😁 Besides that, the wife's on board so why you worried?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top