JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Welcome! Everywhere in MT is rural. I haven't spent any real time in Billings or on the high plains east of the divide except maybe hunting in Big Hole/Wisdom. I spend most of my MT time along hwy 93 from Missoula to Conner, but mainly at my dad's place in Corvallis.

I used to live 2 hours south of Billings and my wife grew up in Billings and Laurel (15 +- minutes west of Billings) . Billings as a city isn't great, but you will have great access to the outdoors if that is what you are into. I don't know the specifics but I do know that Montana has some of the best access laws for hunting and fishing. If you like beer Angry Hanks is the best but Clear Creek is also good, also Clear Creek often has a BBQ truck on site that is just awesome. That's all the beta I can think of at the moment, good luck, and welcome to NWFA.

Hello,

Welcome to the forum!

I do not know much about Billings. I live on the other side of the Continental Divide and we may move further north or 'away'.

I am a transplant to Montana and a remarried widow to a MT born and raised man.

I can ask my husband for some suggestions if that will help you but I am sure things have changed greatly in SMALL and large towns not even counting super rural areas in the boonies since he used to travel all over the state for his work for a time frame. He is retired now.

I have seen things change in rural areas, small towns, and in college towns aka larger cities since I moved here too. He has seen the changes in 20 to LESS years himself and so did his family and friends who have been here for a several generations.

If you ever get to this side of the state (Western.) and want to shoot at a really nice range - try this out:

Western Montana Fish & Game Association - The WMFG is a membership based organization that privately owns and operates the Deer Creek Shooting Center in East Missoula Montana

We belong to Western Montana Fish and Game Association aka Deer Creek.

We have Deep Creek Range but I have not personally shot there. My husband has shot there in the past.

Yellowstone is nice when the tourist season ends.

Livingston, MT is close to Yellowstone National Park. We have friends who live there too.

Livingston's one sweet restaurant (The Stockman - great steaks!) closed up totally due to the VIRUS (!) garbage and many other good places and businesses have been harmed drastically too. OUT of business or going out of business ALL across this state.

A ton of tourist places, regular Montana events (Baseball games, rallies, running events, fairs, swimming pools, etc.) and recreation places on Federal, State and Local lands have been CLOSED, events are not going to be held this year and/or they are not opening up with all facilities open.

Glacier National Park is the same way. Wonderful!

We know many off the beaten path places but that most likely belongs in another section on this forum. We are NOT into crowds and most tourist type places ourselves.

I did an internet search on Google - TOWNS close to Billings, Montana and got a list of them but I have NO clue what is good or bad there. I have heard a few of the town names listed on my search.

Some places in MT and in many other states have cabins for rent on private ranches and they actually LIKE to have a reliable person stay there during the cold months too. Been there - done that myself. (Camped and stayed in a tiny log cabin too.) You may want to check that out on some internet search too.

Check out the newspapers online for Billings too. Check out CITY DATA too.

As another member asked you... do you shoot? What are your favorite firearms?

Best wishes to you.

Sincerely,

Old Lady Cate
PS: Thank you for your service. My late husband was a Vietnam Veteran.

Hello Cate.
I spend a lot of time around Vets. Heck, most of the guys in my group theraphy are Vietnam vets.
I also meet a lot of them when I update/issue them their veteran ID cards for their service connected disabilities or their retirement cards.
Yep I love to shoot. One of the reasons I immigrated to the US is because you have the 2nd Amendment!
I'm glad the Navy sent me to Billings, mainly because my gun collection would get me in trouble in states like Ca, NY, NJ, IL etc.
I use to shoot competitively (IDPA, NRA Service Rifle, Garand matches) but slowed down a bit. I'm hoping to get back into the game soon as I get settled in Billings.

V/R
HM2 Jaime Ferrer

I used to live 2 hours south of Billings and my wife grew up in Billings and Laurel (15 +- minutes west of Billings) . Billings as a city isn't great, but you will have great access to the outdoors if that is what you are into. I don't know the specifics but I do know that Montana has some of the best access laws for hunting and fishing. If you like beer Angry Hanks is the best but Clear Creek is also good, also Clear Creek often has a BBQ truck on site that is just awesome. That's all the beta I can think of at the moment, good luck, and welcome to NWFA.

Awesome info!
Not much of a beer drinker. I prefer whiskey.
Yup, plan on enjoying the outdoors soon as I get settled in.

Make sure the shocks and tires on your vehicles are in good shape.
I was told that MT is the only state where road work is a major industry.
When I went to Sturgis in '98 I was amazed at an unpaved on ramp well over 1/4 mi long.
Like I said - that was in '98.

Make sure the shocks and tires on your vehicles are in good shape.
I was told that MT is the only state where road work is a major industry.
When I went to Sturgis in '98 I was amazed at an unpaved on ramp well over 1/4 mi long.
Like I said - that was in '98.

There is a kind of inside joke in the area that goes, "There are only 2 seasons in Montana winter and road work"

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top