JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I usually tell people new to reloading to get in at their lowest cost. Quite a few try it and its not for them.
I on the other hand enjoy reloading almost as much as shooting!
About the least expensive deal in reloading kits are the LEE Anniversary kits. They have most everything you need to get started. But most all reloading company's offer a kit aimed at beginners.
If you stay with this you will add other tools to help you specialize your reloading.
After a house fire in 1990, I had to start over. I bought a single stage kit from Lee. I still use most of those tools today.
The press has loaded thousands of rounds and today still is a dedicated primer decaping station. It also does service when I'm resizing cast lead bullets. What it doesn't do well is swage or resize brass cases Or neck them down into a smaller cal. For that I use a RCBS Rock Chucker. It has a long throw that makes easy work of swaging projects. But its long throw and mechanical advantage mean that for light jobs like popping out primers I would have to move the handle about twice as far. In a long sitting that makes a difference in the wear on your arm. [ RCBS does have an alloy framed press that does the lighter jobs too]
So pick your poison, But know any of them will do the reloading job you want now. And you will add more tools later. Good Luck, And Enjoy . DR

Not meaning to be short with you, but this thread has good answers to your question....

The easy way is to find a kit online with everything you're likely to need, shipped to your door.

Here's how I did it back when I started: I picked up an old, used, cast iron, single-stage press and scale for next to nothing. I got an equally old reloading manual with it, read and reread it until I had a basic idea on where to start. I loaded some rounds, learning as I went, and picked up more tools as I decided I needed them.

If you're not in a hurry, you can get yourself set up with decent used gear for very little money.

Hello- I am looking at starting reloading hunting rifles. Anybody know of a starting reloading set/press for sale and maybe some supplies? I am reloading 6.5 creedmoor, 300 win mag, and 30-06. Thanks
I got into handloading a year ago just for hunting and enjoy it. All you need for hunting is a single stage press, I got the RCBS Rebel and its been a workhorse. I hear the RCBS Rockchucker is a classic workhorse too......
They sell intro kits that should come with everything you need to get started, though IMO dont get a digital scale get an old fashioned analog beam scale.

The only thing that doesn't come with a starter kit is a trimming tool, I would get one of those. And you will need a good chronograph IMO if hunting is the goal you want to know your velocity.

Be prepared to dedicate a lot of range time testing loads and going down rabbit holes learning what works for you. The basics of handloading is easy. The basics of accurate handloading is more detailed and takes time.

I'd get a quality single stage like :

Rockchucker Supreme
RockChuckerSupreme_9356_wDies_ThreeQuarter.jpg
Redding Big Boss II
redding_big_boss_ii_press_kit_copy_37_1.jpg

Hornady Classic
s-l600.jpg

They sell intro kits that should come with everything you need to get started, though IMO dont get a digital scale get an old fashioned analog beam scale.
Wow, they sure know how to entice sales, including 1,000 primers like that. With what most places are wanting for primers, that's almost like getting the reloading gear for free! :)

Wow, they sure know how to entice sales, including 1,000 primers like that. With what most places are wanting for primers, that's almost like getting the reloading gear for free! :)
I noticed that too, when I got started I didnt have that and it took me like 6 months to find primers from a private party sale meeting up in a parking lot....

I would say to buy something mid tier to start, rather than budget as the cost is fairly substantial regardless of quality but the experience is much more enjoyable with higher quality tools. RCBS is a wonderful and available brand to hang your hat on

I would say to buy something mid tier to start, rather than budget as the cost is fairly substantial regardless of quality but the experience is much more enjoyable with higher quality tools. RCBS is a wonderful and available brand to hang your hat on

This is sound advice.

Some things I found useful are
get a press you can prime with, upgrade the powder measure with a micrometer and use a good trickler with your scale.

My basic setup I still use today for small batch hunting and match ammo is,

RCBS Rock Chucker (older model that takes primer tubes)
RCBS powder measure with micrometer
Lyman trickler
RCBS 505 scale
RCBS lube pad and lube

With these items you can load anything with the right cartridge dies.

This is sound advice.

Some things I found useful are
get a press you can prime with, upgrade the powder measure with a micrometer and use a good trickler with your scale.

My basic setup I still use today for small batch hunting and match ammo is,

RCBS Rock Chucker (older model that takes primer tubes)
RCBS powder measure with micrometer
Lyman trickler
RCBS 505 scale
RCBS lube pad and lube

With these items you can load anything with the right cartridge dies.
Thanks- I appreciate the help.

RCBS seems to be the most common press people prefer. Glad to not waste time or money on inferior quality. Thank you 👍

RCBS is pretty solid- from what you and others have recommended. Appreciate the help 👍

I usually tell people new to reloading to get in at their lowest cost. Quite a few try it and its not for them.
I on the other hand enjoy reloading almost as much as shooting!
About the least expensive deal in reloading kits are the LEE Anniversary kits. They have most everything you need to get started. But most all reloading company's offer a kit aimed at beginners.
If you stay with this you will add other tools to help you specialize your reloading.
After a house fire in 1990, I had to start over. I bought a single stage kit from Lee. I still use most of those tools today.
The press has loaded thousands of rounds and today still is a dedicated primer decaping station. It also does service when I'm resizing cast lead bullets. What it doesn't do well is swage or resize brass cases Or neck them down into a smaller cal. For that I use a RCBS Rock Chucker. It has a long throw that makes easy work of swaging projects. But its long throw and mechanical advantage mean that for light jobs like popping out primers I would have to move the handle about twice as far. In a long sitting that makes a difference in the wear on your arm. [ RCBS does have an alloy framed press that does the lighter jobs too]
So pick your poison, But know any of them will do the reloading job you want now. And you will add more tools later. Good Luck, And Enjoy . DR
Thanks DR, I appreciate it. I've been told the RCBS single stage is great for beginners. Lee is a close second from what I've heard.

Thanks DR, I appreciate it. I've been told the RCBS single stage is great for beginners. Lee is a close second from what I've heard.
I don't think there is any equipment out there that will not give you years of reliable and precise service. I'm not fond of how some of the Lee presses are made, but a lot of folks swear by them.

Before you buy a starter kit, list out the components and see if you could buy them more inexpensively in the NWFA classifieds. I have a late 50's RCBS Jr that is still going strong and only recently replaced it as my single stage press. Older balance beam scales are also very good and to a certain degree are better than the newer ones. Just something to consider.

Hand loading your hunting loads will provide a better connection to the sport much like building your own fishing rod and making your own lures and flies. Good luck in your quest!

What makes them good for beginners is they are single stage.[ both of them] That has you focused on one task at a time. Take a good look at the kits to see that you also get all the small tools you need. Make sure it has a primer tool and a case length trimmer.
One thing about the Lee Tool is it uses over all length, Most other rifle tools measure off the shoulder. Both will work, The shoulder measurement is easier to adjust and more precise, But Lees method works and costs 1/10th as much.[ and it comes with the kit.] Each time your rifle brass is fired they grow in length, and must be trimmed back into spec every couple of loadings.
Is there anyone you know that reloads now? Someone you could watch to get a good idea of what is needed? Good Luck DR

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top