JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey, I'm Joe.

I don't own a gun and I don't know much about guns. I've shot them a few times before, and once owned a .22 rifle that I liked to shoot, but I consider myself new to the arena.

Right now I'm interested in acquiring a handgun, for recreation, but also so that my wife and I will both have a sort of self-defense. Any recommendations (what to buy, where to buy it, anything else I should do or need to know) are appreciated.

Nice to meet you,
-Joe

First of all: Welcome to the site. You will find that a lot of people here have some great information.

I have a few suggestions to you if you are looking for a handgun to buy. First, go to gun stores and gun shows and handle as many pistols as you can. Find whatever fits your hand well, is comfortable, and you like. Second, talk to any of your friends that have guns, and ask them to take you shooting so you can try some out. Third, some ranges allow you to rent guns before you buy so you can get a feel for what you want. Fourth, if and when you figure out what you want, do research on it before you purchase anything. Check on this forum for models like it on sale, look at gunbroker.com to see what comparable models sell for, and get yourself a good price. There are so many things that go into purchasing a firearm, especially your first, and it really comes down to personal preference and the application you want to use it for. If you buy the first thing that comes along or looks cool, you will probably end up wishing you had something else in the long run (like I did). Be patient, and you will find what is right for you. :s0155:

Oh yeah, one more thing. If this is going to be something your wife will use as well, make sure she is in on all of the decision making process as well. You will not regret that. ;)

Thanks for the advice. Can you (or anyone) recommend a gun store around here I could check out? My preliminary searches only revealed one store, in Dayton, but I might head out there anyway because it's not too far.

Hi Rad,

You might try The Gun Broker on 99W in SW Tigard. They've got a great selection of pistols, and offer some good advice. I've bought a few firearms there in the past and have never been disappointed.

If you're just looking to plink, you might try a Ruger semi-auto .22, or even one of their .22 Revolvers. Nice thing about the revolvers is that you can swap the cylinder and shoot .22 Magnum rounds.

Bryce

Well, I'm not too up on gun stores in your area, but there is a resource on this site for stores, gun clubs and ranges. Look on the blue bar towards the top of the screen, right next to NWFA Forum. It should read NWFA recources. Click on that, and in the drop-down menu, there is a link to NWFA map. That map will show you all of the gun-related businesses in WA and OR. Just zoom in on the map until you can look at individual points in your area. Hope that helps.

Welcome. I live in Wilsonville also. do alot of pistol, shotgun and rifle shooting.I like steve at the gun broker also. very nice and has lots of knowledge of guns. I shoot at tri county gun club about twice a week. also reload all my own ammo(except.22 rimfire).:)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top