JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was told about this site while visiting with the gun sales department of Fisherman's Marine & Outdoors here in Tigard about posting my gun here to sell and I am happy to of found a site where I can learn and share info.

I grew up in the Portland Oregon area in the 80's and 90's and went hunting only a few times with friends, but never took it too seriously until I went hunting with my 2 uncles last year in the Hells Canyon area just outside of Ontario Oregon. I picked up a Weatherby Vanguard 270 Win last August because that was the only caliber I had shot in the past other than a .22. I was quickly told to return it for a 30.06 becuase "it wasn't going to cut it for Elk", but opening day at 10 am I came upon a herd very slowly and was able to take a shot at an elk within 40 yrds and well... I am hooked for life man! All I ever want to do when I'm in the woods is look and hunt for this majestic animal and figure out where they are hiding and why. My family has enjoyed this Elk all year and now they need more and I can hardly wait to get out there again. This year I will be in the Starkey unit and it sounds promising over there this year.

So a big thanks in advance for all the great info I am about to learn at this site and I hope to see you out there!

Scott

Hey-- LookforElk - Scott
Well so much for the old 270 not being an elk gun, You have done something the majority can only write about. Congratulations on Killing your first Elk. Reading your post there is no doubt you will be found further and further back in the brush as the years go by. I like a .300 win mag. and a custom built Speer Grand Slam 180 grain bullet for a Reacher - Out past 300 yards for elk.
Silver Hand

In the brush I lean on my .350 Rem mag. and a compressed load of 53.5 grains, 3031 behind a 250 grain Speer Spitzer. It shoots through one hole @ 100 yards - Center line of the one inch bull.
This load is not a starting place for any reloader but a load found after years of research with this gun.
What a confidence builder in the brush.
Silver Hand

Thanks everyone, I already feel welcome. Just now getting ready to go out in the AM for black tailed buck and really liking the wetter and cooler conditions in the forecast. Let's hope I can write about another story of how I was able to even find one in the very thick Tillamook National Forest. They are so elusive around here its has been frustrating to say the least, but still very fun to be out there. I can find fresh sign of both elk and deer and am closing in on the buck feel I'm closing in on a buck I have a tag for.

Wish me luck!
Scott

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews