JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,

My name is mike and I like to shoot when I can. I am looking for someone who shoots as well as reload. I reload for everything I shoot. I am middleaged and a responsible person. I like to go shooting with my wife but she seldom wants to go even though she has her own firearms and is a good shot.
I quess you could say I am looking for a shooting buddy. I belong to the Upper Nisqually sportsmans club but it is about 20 miles from my house so I am thinking about membership at the Tacoma sportsmans club. It is less than 10 minutes from my house. But 200 yds is the longest shot you can make. I want to be able to shoot farther very soon.

If there is someone out there also looking for a shooting buddy just send me a pm and we can talk about it!

Thanks,
Mike

Mike, Don't know what distances your looking for, but have you thought about Range 15 at JBLM. Longest rifle distance is 300 yards, but it's a nice, well run range. I shoot there almost every weekend.

Hell Ron,
I have heard about the range out there but I know nothing about it. Is it open year round? I read it costs $5.50 per day, it that correct? What do they require for a guy to shoot there?
I am working on loads for my new rifle as well as a new barrel for my Encore. I am ready to take the .308 to 200 yds and hope to try it out to 500 yds soon. What do you shoot? Do you load your own?

Thank you for the reply!
Mike

Let's try this again. The board informed me that since I wasn't logged in (I was) that I couldn't reply.

Range 15 is open Friday, Saturday and Sunday through October, then Saturday and Sunday. It's $7.50 for non-DOD civilians, for DOD civilians, retirees and active duty it's $5.50 a day. For your range fee you get a firing point with a nice bench for either a left or right hand shooter, a target frame and a paper target. Since the paper targets are usually stapled on over several layers of other shot out targets I usually take a mess of self sticking targets and use them over the paper targets. Out at 300 yards there are a couple of steel targets as well.

It's a well run range with plenty of cease fires to check, move or replace targets.

Your supposed to register your weapons with the Provost Marshal at Waller Hall before bringing them on Fort Lewis (JBLM). Takes about 15 minutes if their not busy (lunch hour is really abusy time).

If you access Fort Lewis through the East Gate you don't pass a Security Gate to get to Range 15.

I shoot 30-06 (Garand and Remington 700), .223 Remington and .22 LR, reloading for the centerfire rifles. For hand guns I shoot a Remington R1 1911 and an IRA 1911, plus a S&W 22A, reloading for the 1911s.

If you find a range that has a shooting distance of 500 yards or better, let me know. I'd like to take the 700 out and stretch her legs.

REE

I belong to the Upper Nisqually sportmans club and they have on range that you can shoot to 550 yds. It is a real nice place with I think 5 different ranges. I is in the woods, like I said it is real nice. I have a few firearms like your self. I am most likely to renew my membership there as it is nice and most of the time I can get one of the ranges to myself. It is open year round unlike JBLM. It is just better to have a buddy to share the fun with. If you like I can have you as a guest out there for you to see the place and send a few down range.
From what I just read on-line the JBLM range is not open to the public. I am going to call them to find out.

Again, Thank you for the reply!
Mike

That would be great! Just let me know when you would like to do it. I will be starting a new job next week and be of work at about 2 pm and have weekends off.
I think the civilians at the range are sponsored, or guests. A friend of mine is a retired master sargent and we shot together all the time but he now likes in oregon. He does not make it up here.
I have a Savage 10 FLCP-k LE that I have 40 rounds down the tube and will be getting ready to take it past the 100 yds I shot for sight in and break-in of the barrel.
Take care,
Mike

I'v been to Tacoma sportsmens club. Try Paul bunion it just down the road a few miles on canyon but I think it is a nicer facility. There a lil bit more black gun friendly.

Welcome oneshot57. I do most of my shooting at JBLM range 15. Just so you know, they raised prices Oct 1st. Still cheaper than the Tacoma Sportsman's. Non-military can shoot there as a guest of a military or DOD person. I'm retired Army, myself.
One of my shooting buddies took me to Canyon road a couple times. Good range. I think we're planning for this Tuesday. He got a new .22 pistol to try out.
And, another shooting buddy took me to Paul Bunyan. Also very nice range. They are members only, and I'm on the membership waiting list.

Though the website shows its not open to the public, I've never seen anyone turned away from Range 15 unless they break a rule. Just dont rapid fire, touch weapons during ceasefire, or shoot magnum rifles and you will be ok. The benches are higher and more comfortable compared to most. Prices went up to $10 for mil/DoD/veterans and $13 for civilians. The fact they have a civilian rate kind of contradicts their rules on the website.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top