JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello everyone,
I'm new to Oregon, I've lived here for just over a month.
I've lived in California most of my life and recently decided to start a new life here after a divorce. My dog and I just got in my truck one day and headed north and next thing I knew I was living in here Oregon.
I really love being able to enjoy my long time hobby of target shooting again in a state that truly respects responsible gun ownership. It was getting worse every year in California.

I look forward to being a part of your online community here. It looks like a great group here.

Welcome to Oregon and the forum :)

Be advised, a lot of your southern-Cal former neighbors have been moving to Oregon for years and have managed to wage an assault on our gun rights. We're not too bad at the moment, but they are actively working to follow the lead of CA. Be sure to vote in every election, and look for pro-gun candidates, which you should find easily in Southern Oregon - up by Salem and Portland, it's turning more and more like CA every day :(

Thanks for the warm welcomes.
Misteramax - If all goes well with acquiring my CCW permit, my first purchase is going to be a subcompact for concealed carry. Nothing I have now could be concealed even slightly :)
But with all that's available here in comparison to California, that's going to feel like a long time to wait.
And Huckleberryfun - I'm so used to sales tax I keep forgetting that I don't have to pay an extra 8% every time I purchase something. I love it.
etrain16 - I know a lot of Californians have been slowly migrating into Oregon for years now. I hate to hear they're actually having an impact on the laws here. I do as much as I can to vote and make my voice heard to keep respsonible gun ownership and our second amendment rights in good standing.
Timbertodd - thank you for that info. Resources like that are great to have. I'll definitely check that out and bookmark that site.

Thanks Hang Man
I'm not sure how I was able to stay as long as I did.
At least I got out right before the law required me to throw out all of my legally acquired hi cap mags. They're well on their way to making all guns completely useless down there.

Welcome aboard. Klamath Falls, eh. I've been over that way on several occasion. I've spent a bit of time just east of you in Lake County and found it to be some truly fine country. But, I digress. Welcome to Oregon and NWFA. :)

Greetings program!

If you figure on visiting the other Pacific Northwest states, get your Utah out of state concealed, at the same time you get your Oregon. Just be aware of the individual state laws as well. For a simple example: we can legally sit in a pub and have a burger while carrying concealed in Oregon, yet can't legally in Washington.

Hey DaveLikesGuns,
Thanks. Hopefully California drives out the pro-gun residents so we can lend a hand keeping Oregon from turning into the mess California has become.

I'm looking for a reliable 9mm or open to some other calibers. Possibly a .380 or a .45.
I'm partial to Glock simply because the handgun I use most is a G21 and I'd like my carry pistol to be as familiar to me as possible. And a Glock is a Glock. Everything would be second nature for me. But I've been researching and there are so many negative reviews about some of the compact/subcompacts it's making me think twice.
So I'm open to some other brands. I've been looking around for something I'd feel comfy with.

My firearms Guru best friend has both of the Glock subcompacts 9mm and the 380, and loves them, I don't think you can go wrong with either of them, if you want more firepower go with the G26 9mm it's concealable especially with an IWB holster and a loose cover garment of some kind as you may already know the 26 will use any standard Glock double stack magazine so you can carry the little 13 round mag in the gun and whatever magazine you feel comfortable with as a backup.
I personally lean to the 9mm because you can carry more rounds in a small gun and the ammo is cheaper in most cases than either the 45 or the 380, with more power than the 380, and often more available in the gun shops. Also Federal HST in 9mm is an awesome load, no matter which bullet weight you get.
Welcome aboard,
Gabby
PS there is no reason you can't buy your gun before getting your CHL, I recommend getting as much quality range time with an instructor as well and pump him on when you can lawfully use lethal force, his instruction could keep you out of jail!

My special thanks to sonic for his kind words and the Baby Glock G26 is in pristine condition, can't tell it from new, I'm now a Glock man after all these years. Can't wait to try it out, read break it in that is! :D:cool:
Gabby
PPS The 380 he has is the S&W NOT the Glock, but he does have the single stack 9mm and it fits right into the pocket of his coveralls and isn't at all noticeable sorry about my mistake, it's my first ever! :rolleyes:o_O LOL

Last Edited:
Thanks Gabby,
I had seen a used G42 at a local shop and they were going to trade me for my Ruger GP100. But I like researching things first. And when I googled the G42 so many discussion forums and YouTube videos were just slamming that model for being very unreliable. Video after video of failures to feed, failures to extract and just not being able to get more than a single shot off without problems. I watched more and more and it seemed to end up being an issue with the ammo. The .380 didn't like anything under 95 grain. It seemed like anything 95 or above worked well.
I'm leaning towards the 9mm G43. I love how small it is. I often just wear shorts and a tshirt and thats tough to conceal under. Although only 6+1 rounds is the trade off.
If I were to get a compact double
stack I'd probably go with the G30. I had one once and it was an amazingly accurate compact. I got better groups than I do with my full sized G21. I've heard the 30 is the most accurate of all the Glocks. And it was a real soft shooter for a .45. But that's a bit heavier and bulkier. So I'm still trying to decide. Hopefully I can find a range that rents and has a 43. Once I can shoot it I'll know if it's the right one for me.
Thank you for your advice on it. I'm taking in all the info and personal experiences I can. It's an important decision.

If you're interested in considering S&W, they still have some great rebates going on the Shield pistols. Awesome prices right now, probably the best you'll see on them, and available in 9mm, .40 and .45acp. My daily carry is a 9c, one size up from the Shield, but if I wanted something smaller, I'd jump on the Shield deal. That rebate ($75) ends on June 30:

Rebates | Smith & Wesson

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads