JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ok ok. Some great stuff to consider I appreciate all the info. Now I just need to bite the damn bullet and make a decision. I'm still really torn between buying and building. Buying is instant gratification, unboxing and shooting the same day. But the build would be more of an internal satisfaction knowing that this is MY rifle built by MY two hands.

I have learned, that the term building an AR is really not that accurate. It's really assembly. Yeah you will need a few tools, but you will most likely end up needing them anyway.

If you have absolutely no experience in assembling anything, then yes. Buy a complete unit. If you have ANY mechanical ability, then assemble your own. It is really easy. If you want a gun that you put together then get the parts.

There are a hundred people (maybe more) who would be more than happy to help you out.

Thanks Larry!

Garg you're correct but build vs assemble just sounds better haha! Yes I am mechanically inclined I feel confident in my skills not so much in my knowledge of the platform and how to correctly set-up a rifle for my needs. Although with research and this forum I feel that the knowledge will come much quicker than I initially thought. It's just as first the the information and options available is pretty overwhelming.

OK! So I decided to go ahead and build! Just ordered an lower from 80-lower.com. Getting a complete upper from surplus ammo. A friend has a universal jig already. Wish me luck will probably asking questions and looking for guidance from you guys during the process. But hopefully will be uploading some photo's soon!

image.jpeg Update. Have a complete rifle as of Friday night. Where's the "that was easy" button? Much easier than expected everything went together without issue. Didn't have time to shoot it this weekend though. The 80% lower is still on the way. Completed this rifle with an Anderson lower, magpul furniture, lower parts kit and upper from Saa.

Like many others I recommend the Ruger AR556, sportsmans has them for $650. It's hard to beat that price & with money left over buy ammo or some kind of optics, I feel aero lowers are the best bang for your buck, flared magwells, threaded holes for takedown pin detent, tension screw for upper and very consistent quality. Good luck and welcome

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Another update. everything went smoothly, or so I thought. Racked a couple of rounds as a small test. Examined the rounds and noticed that the primers had been hit. Obviously not enough to fire the rounds but still scary. Any thoughts would be a huge help. Thanks

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top