JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New member here from the Portland suburbs.

Long time gun owner, fairly recent CHL recipient (post-Aurora). Finally decided that there are too many crazies out there to not be prepared.

Been carrying my faithful Walther PPK/S since getting my CHL, but looking for something lighter which is how I found this site. Don't have the option to wear hoodies or long tailed shirts so it is either an ankle holster or pocket carry (dress shirts tucked in is my most common daily attire, without a sports coat when indoors)

The PPK/S is ok in the ankle holster, but a bit too big and heavy for pocket carry. On weekends I carry IWB with a Ted Blocker which is my favorite way to carry but it will only work on the weekends (due to work attire restrictions). I just don't get how some folks are doing EDC with full size pistols like the 1911. I LOVE my 1911s, but right now, there is no way I would carry them on a daily basis. Yeah, I know I am giving up firepower from the 45 to the 380, but I want something that I am WILLING to carry 24/7. If I were carrying OWB or open carry, no problem but IWB without imprinting just leaves too few options clothing-wise.

Will be demoing a bunch of guns in the next month or so to find something small and without too much snap. After doing a lot of reading, not sure if those 2 requirements will go hand in hand (haven't bought a "new" gun in 15+ years and nothing smaller than the PPK/S). The majority of the pocket pistols are all polymer and 10oz or less so there isn't much mass to help deal with recoil.

Seems to be lots of choices from Ruger, Kahr, Kel-Tec and others but the reviews are all over the map, so it seems like I will have to shoot as many as I can in order to decide. Who knows, I may just stay with the PPK/S but would really like to find something smaller and lighter. The lack of a slide lock and safety on most of the pocket pistols is also odd for me since they are mainly DAO. I really like the DA/SA mode of the PPK/S as well as the thumb safety but I guess this old dog will have to learn some new tricks!

Glad to be here!

David

How do people Every Day Carry (EDC) with a larger pistol, such as a 1911? It becomes a life style choice. You change your wardrobe to fit carrying, how you walk, what type of belt you use, and how move and look at the world. I've seen people carry small .380s, 32 ACPs, 9mm, all the way to an 8 shot .357 revolver and do it without anyone knowing are even suspecting.

It really depends on if you are willing to make those changes and be consistent with it in your every day activities.

For example, I know a guy who wears shorts and sandals all year round, yes even in rain and snow. Yet every where he goes he caries compact pistol. You would never know it to look at him. Other's can do it, because of their frame. Some have to really work at concealing their pistol in safe and reliable fashion.

It takes time to figure out not only what fits your body style and every day life, but how to conceal and then quickly draw the firearm in times of need. Practice. Lots of mirror time, or dry fire time, or whatever. Safely with an unloaded firearm, figuring out how to get to the firearm consistently and smoothly.

It really comes down to form, fit and function. Does it have the right form to fit your hand and will it function reliably for you every time. That takes range time and working through different pistols till you find the right one.

In short, welcome to the CCW club. There are a lot more of us that most people know, and we like to keep it that way. :)

Welcome!-nice first post.

If I hear you correctly you're considering replacing your PPK/S for EDC.

I'd like to suggest the Sig P238. It's lighter-the all stainless HD and HDW models weigh 20.1 ounces with mag vs.
22.4 ounces without mag of the PPK/S and is shorter, more compact-5.5" vs. 6.1" of
the PPK/s. You can also go for lighter versions of the P238 which weigh 15.2 ounces with mag.

Since you're used to a 1911, the P238 with its SAO should be an easier transition from the PPK/S-I really liked the DA/SA and the safety mechanism of the PPK line though(some have joked that the PPK's safety mechanism is like "wearing suspenders with a belt"-but not me).

As far as the snap(which I've experienced with the PPK line also)this can
be mitigated by going with the all-stainless P238 models(heavier) and installing a set of Hogue rubber grips w/finger rest and add the 7 round mag(pictured)with finger rest. This makes for very comfortable shooting-these additions make the P238 fit like a glove and almost snapless shooting.

The main drawback of the P238 with the other .380 models you mention is the price.
I recently purchased the HDW model(w/rosewood grips)for around $630. Other variations of the P238 are cheaper but still pricey when compared to other .380s out there. And if you decide to go with a higher caliber there's the 9mm P938 which is only slightly larger than the P238.

(BTW, I don't work for Sig Sauer in any capacity :) )

Comparison pics of PPK and P238 and P238 w/Hogue grips and extended mag:

P9250002_2_zps84bcb58e.jpg

P238whogue_zpsde359159.jpg

It really depends on if you are willing to make those changes and be consistent with it in your every day activities.

It takes time to figure out not only what fits your body style and every day life, but how to conceal...

Hi Morpheus,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, right now I am dealing with what I am 1) willing to change and 2) what is practical to change.

I work in a professional environment and that means button-down shirts and slacks everyday, and in the office, jackets are rarely worn unless customers are visiting. Having an untucked shirt is just not going to happen anytime soon, hence the ankle holster with the PPK/S. IWB just won't work unless I am outside of the office. That is why I am looking at a pocket gun which will give me more options.

Haven't heard many good things about pocket guns from a shooting standpoint, but you can take them anywhere, wearing pretty much anything down to gym shorts, and that is the reason I am considering them. Just really need to shoot a couple of them to figure out how "not fun" they are to shoot relative to my PPK/S and what I am OK with for EDC.

On the bright side, I will be shooting a greater variety of guns than I have in over 10 years! We'll see how it goes.

TP

Welcome!-nice first post.

If I hear you correctly you're considering replacing your PPK/S for EDC.

I'd like to suggest the Sig P238.

Since you're used to a 1911, the P238 with its SAO should be an easier transition from the PPK/S-I really liked the DA/SA and the safety mechanism of the PPK line though(some have joked that the PPK's safety mechanism is like "wearing suspenders with a belt"-but not me).

As far as the snap(which I've experienced with the PPK line also)this can
be mitigated by going with the all-stainless P238 models(heavier) and installing a set of Hogue rubber grips w/finger rest and add the 7 round mag(pictured)with finger rest. This makes for very comfortable shooting-these additions make the P238 fit like a glove and almost snapless shooting.

The main drawback of the P238 with the other .380 models you mention is the price.
I recently purchased the HDW model(w/rosewood grips)for around $630. Other variations of the P238 are cheaper but still pricey when compared to other .380s out there.

Hi GED,

I am a big fan of Sigs, even though I don't own one right now. I have shot the P230/232 which is very similar to my PPK/S. I have looked at the P238 (not shot however) and while it is a little bit lighter and smaller, it isn't "pocketable" IMHO which is why I am looking at the "mouse" guns as they are called.

"snap" IMO is closely correlated to the mass of the gun. More mass, less snap, keeping ammo types the same. I don't have a problem with my PPK/S or the P230/232 as they are roughly the same weight mass and with the extended magazines, offer a full grip.

My main reason for looking for a change from the PPK/S is to significantly reduce the size and weight so I can carry in my pocket at work or have something lighter in my ankle holster AND still be confidence-inspiring enough for defensive carry. I have no doubt that the 238 could replace my PPK/S, but (and I will look more closely at the 238) I don't think it addresses my primary reasons for looking for an alternative carry gun (size and weight). If I could walk around all day with a light sweatshirt or Hawaiian shirt on, I would be happy to carry my PPK/S IWB all day long. However, if I am not comfortable shooting the mouse guns, I may have to consider other alternatives :)

Thanks,

TP

I work in a professional environment and that means button-down shirts and slacks everyday, and in the office, jackets are rarely worn unless customers are visiting. Having an untucked shirt is just not going to happen anytime soon, hence the ankle holster with the PPK/S. IWB just won't work unless I am outside of the office. That is why I am looking at a pocket gun which will give me more options.

Haven't heard many good things about pocket guns from a shooting standpoint, but you can take them anywhere, wearing pretty much anything down to gym shorts, and that is the reason I am considering them. Just really need to shoot a couple of them to figure out how "not fun" they are to shoot relative to my PPK/S and what I am OK with for EDC.

Companies make both dress-style shirts and pants that have "tear-away" sections (usually velcro,) that allow easy access to a standard IWB holster. (Some even make pants with a built-in pocket holster.) Of course, then you buy a new wardrobe, and are stuck with the styles they have.

As for a more-concealable gun being "more fun" to shoot? As long as you CAN shoot it reliably in the manner it would be used for self-defense, does it matter how "fun" it is?

P.S. Welcome from another Portlander!

Companies make both dress-style shirts and pants that have "tear-away" sections (usually velcro,) that allow easy access to a standard IWB holster. (Some even make pants with a built-in pocket holster.) Of course, then you buy a new wardrobe, and are stuck with the styles they have.

As for a more-concealable gun being "more fun" to shoot? As long as you CAN shoot it reliably in the manner it would be used for self-defense, does it matter how "fun" it is?

P.S. Welcome from another Portlander!

Well the "fun" factor does matter if I buy a new gun as opposed to a used one. From what I have read, you need to run 200+ rounds through these mouse guns to "break them in". I was only half kidding about the "not fun" quote. I really LIKE to shoot my guns, including my PPK/S but to have a gun that I really don't LIKE to shoot that is also my EDC would be a bit of a bummer. I would like to actually practice with it on a regular basis in addition to the break-in period.

In general, I would think that you need to, at some level, continue to practice with whatever your EDC gun and just to make sure that it still functions as you expect. Even if you attain a reasonable level of accuratcy with the gun over the break-in period, but dislike shooting the gun, will you continue to practice with it over time? My guess is that I would not, and I am not sure that would be a good thing over time to have a gun I depend on for defensive carry that I shoot one clip every year just to make sure the gun still functions and I remember how to shoot it well?

I look at this like anything else such as playing the piano, playing basketball or skiing. If you aren't willing to practice, how proficient can you continue to be/expect to be over time?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top