JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New member from NW Oregon, I have decided to, sell many of my firearms, both handguns and rifles. I have never sold a firearm , let alone a firearm online, so I have no idea of the process or requirements for firearm sales. I would appreciate any help on my following questions, thank you ahead of time!

1) Do I need a licensed dealer for a rifle or shotgun sale?
2) Do I need a licensed dealer complete an ammunition sale?
3) when I use a licensed dealer for a sale, handgun or?, what fees can I expect and what is a standard commission?
4) is it standard procedure for me, the seller, to pay commissions and fees to my licensed dealer and the buyer to pay theirs?

Thanks again for any help and please feel free to ask for clarification on any question!

New member from NW Oregon, I have decided to, sell many of my firearms, both handguns and rifles. I have never sold a firearm , let alone a firearm online, so I have no idea of the process or requirements for firearm sales. I would appreciate any help on my following questions, thank you ahead of time!

3) when I use a licensed dealer for a sale, handgun or?, what fees can I expect and what is a standard commission?
4) is it standard procedure for me, the seller, to pay commissions and fees to my licensed dealer and the buyer to pay theirs?

Thanks again for any help and please feel free to ask for clarification on any question!

1. Yes

2. No

3. Depends on the dealer (most folks use the term "FFL"). Likely between $25 to $50 all fees combined.

4. There's no dealer commission selling a firearm person to person, however there are 2 fees. The dealers transfer fee, which is up to the dealer. Then the state background check fee. ?$10?

It's up to you, on how you list a firearm for sale.

Some folks go with buyer to pay all fees. Some folks split the fees. Some folks pay the fees. Some folks whom list as buyer to pay fees may adjust that over time if the firearm has been for sale for a while, rather than lowering the firearm sale price.

...and welcome to Northwest Firearms!

1) In OR, yes.
2) No
3) A transfer fee of $15-$25 usually gets paid by the buyer to the FFL. The seller can pay it to sweeten the deal if they want... best to state which way your gonna go in your ad. Different FFLs have different policies regarding multiple purchases at one time, BGC fees, etc, but they're usually within 5-10 bucks of each other. Some charge a LOT to keep private transfers away... they just don't want to do it.
4) A commission will only apply if you use an FFL to sell your guns, in their store, on consignment.

I was typing the same thing at the same time as @Camelfilter... the answers are pretty much identical.

Welcome to NWFA

Adding, mostly the process is extremely straightforward.

The seller and the buyer meet at an FFL.

The buyer inspects the cleared & safe firearm, and makes the final agreement that they would like to purchase it. Meaning that the condition etc is what has been described as.

The FFL takes possession of the firearm.

The buyer fills out the federal 4473 form and present the FFL appropriate ID. The seller presents appropriate ID as well, yet does not fill out a federal form. The buyer will get thumb printed, card attached to the 4473 form.

The FFL enters the information into the computer, and gives a timeline for when the buyer might get a response.

Some FFL's may have particular processes / quirks, but in general the overall process meets the above standard.

Some quirks may be:

-no money to change hands inside the business.

-FFL may hold the buyers hand while being thumb-printed.*

-FFL charges extra for photo copying the drivers licenses.* Or bring your own color copies.

*Both at Tigard Pawn for More. An excellent FFL for person to person sales, with there quirks.

Welcome to the forum from another relative newcomer. Thanks for the question...and thanks to others for the responses. Does a seller have to provide with the firearm being sold one of the stupid orange locks?

Welcome to the forum from another relative newcomer. Thanks for the question...and thanks to others for the responses. Does a seller have to provide with the firearm being sold one of the stupid orange locks?

Good question! Yes...I think.

Some FFLS will offer one for purchase, if you don't have one.

Forget honestly if the requirement is for all firearms, or only handguns.

I've always just included one from "my coffee can" of useless cheesy firearms locks I have.

Good info coming in, another question....... where does the transfer of money, cash, take place? After background check? Before transfer paperwork?

Doesn't really matter, particularly.

Once the FFL takes possession of the firearm, form is filled out, firearm is entered into they're "book". The transaction at that point is between the buyer and the FFL, for the most part*.

If the buyer can't proceed to take possession of the firearm, then the seller needs to have a background check done to get it back from the FFL. Quite rare, however likely more cases of such as of late simply due to the volume of sales/new prospective owners.

In "normal" times many FFL's will have both parties wait.

However these are not normal times (over a weeks wait for background checks to go thru, and random at times recently), so it may be a good idea to have a blanket statement / discussion with a buyer if there BGC fails. Along the lines of a restocking fee, *just a simple good faith refund, minus any fees/time/travel.

We have a current & ongoing thread:

Welcome to Northwest Firearms!! It may be panful to let go of some of those little jewels but I hope in the end it turns out to be a pleasant experience.

As a newbie myself I'd like to say that I am here to steal your knowledge and vast skill abilities of firearms whenever possible and to contribute to this forum as I can with my more limited knowledge and skill as it may be appropriate.

Just a Hallmark moment for ya :s0155:

Welcome to NWFA. It looks like your questions have been answered well. If you should require any assistance listing items here, I or any of the staff members would be glad to help. :)

Lots of responses here, and all are spot on. The only one I would add is that you CAN sell to someone that is not from the same state - the transaction must go through an FFL in that case as well, but the rules are a little different:

For rifle or shotgun, you can meet at an FFL in your state or theirs...it all comes down to convenience and how you strike the deal. It is legal to buy those items outside of your state of residence and transfer them across state lines.

For a pistol, or for an unfinished receiver (an other, which can be built into a pistol), you must do the transfer at an FFL in the state that the buyer resides. There's a federal law that requires pistols to be transferred only from an FFL in the buyers home state. For you, that would be as easy as a trip over the river into Kelso...Gator's is a great little shop and has always had some of the best transfer prices.

Good luck, and good luck deciding what you want to let go of!

Welcome aboard!

388E2129-A091-4FED-8B47-69F9EF0F60D1.jpeg

I didn't read all the responses, but I'm sure you're getting good information.

I've bought, sold, and traded on NWFA, and almost all of my experiences here have been positive. If you sell or trade your guns here, you'll likely meet some very fine people, and be treated fairly.

I've also bought and sold at my local gun shop (5150 in Monmouth). They allow guns to be sold through their shop, on commission. I don't recall their fee for that service, but it's reasonable. I'm guessing this is a common practice at gun shops, but it's just a guess.

If you decide to sell or trade some of your pieces here, remember to post clear pictures in your ads. It makes a big difference.

Best of luck to you.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads