JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sure did. I can't remember who I sold it to... but it was 1983 that I had to sell all my firearms to pay for my divorce lawyer and also I got stuck paying the ex's lawyer fees. It would be amazing if it was still around the area, but I have no record of the serial # so there would be no way to know for sure. I don't miss the ex at all, but I sure had some nice shotguns and rifles.

I recently gave my AR to my SIL. It was a 18.5" Stainless heavy barrel spiral fluted .223 Wylde. A great shooter that I had worked up handloads for a dime sized five shot group. I gave it away because my varmint hunting buddy died and I don't like to go by myself. That and eye damage in the right eye... 300yds = No Way!!!

I still have a Ruger 77 stainless in .308. It's a pretty sweet shooter that I have taken a few elk with. Thought about having Jim Rector put a muzzle break on it, but never got it done. I shoot/shot Remington CoreLokt 180s for elk, 150s for deer, and have worked up a few handloads using 4064. Got a cheap 3x9 Bushnell on it.

Sounds like you got rid of that 22-250 a little before my time, but people around here will call me if they know of one for sale knowing I might be interested depending on funds and the caliber.

One thing I love about number 1's is that the handloads you can work up are pretty hot. For my .308 number 1, I have been using a 180g barnes triple shock X bullet using BLC(2), but since i got the 300 win mag number one I have transitioned to a 200 grain barnes long range X bullet with 75 grains of H1000. Both have now taken several bulls, but that old 375 has probably taken more elk and moose than I ever will when my grandfather had it. For that rifle I also shoot a barnes triple shock x bullet, but the 250g version with a whole bunch of reloader 15. My newest number 1 is my .243, which was used for that big buck, using the 80g triple shock x bullet with 48.5 grains of Superformance. I know I seem to be stuck on using Barnes, but they have been very good to me performance wise.

I stuck with the factory loads with my .308 for elk hunting. But back in the day I used to reload for my pre-divorce Ruger 77 7mm Rem Mag. My first boss at Racom, Bob Heitstuman, taught me reloading using his Rock Chucker. I have a Dillon 550B for pistol loads, and had a RCBS Reloader Special for rifle, but I recently gave that one away after inheriting a Turret press from my shooting buddy's widow. I passed it, the RCBS, on to my SIL. I've been giving a lot of firearms to the daughter's family since selling now is such a PITA. But they really enjoy it and I'm glad to pass on some traditions. My 11yr old granddaughter is a great shot with my old Para P14.45... cracks me up, that gun is almost bigger than she is!!!

The years that I borrowed my second Racom bozz's, Ken Johnson, 300 Win Mag, I used Winchester 220gr Silvertip. I don't know how they would have performed since I never got a shot off. That dang thing was a bruiser at sight in. Half a box was plenty enough punishment!!

Don't you realize that a .243 won't kill a mule deer??? At least according to some members. ;) (Although I took plenty with both my Rem 700 ADL in .243, and my Rem 700BDL in 6mm Rem)

Sooooo, tell me which is better.... 9mm or .45? ;):D

We have fun here and no shortage of opinions...........................................

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top