JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sure did. I can't remember who I sold it to... but it was 1983 that I had to sell all my firearms to pay for my divorce lawyer and also I got stuck paying the ex's lawyer fees. It would be amazing if it was still around the area, but I have no record of the serial # so there would be no way to know for sure. I don't miss the ex at all, but I sure had some nice shotguns and rifles.

I recently gave my AR to my SIL. It was a 18.5" Stainless heavy barrel spiral fluted .223 Wylde. A great shooter that I had worked up handloads for a dime sized five shot group. I gave it away because my varmint hunting buddy died and I don't like to go by myself. That and eye damage in the right eye... 300yds = No Way!!!

I still have a Ruger 77 stainless in .308. It's a pretty sweet shooter that I have taken a few elk with. Thought about having Jim Rector put a muzzle break on it, but never got it done. I shoot/shot Remington CoreLokt 180s for elk, 150s for deer, and have worked up a few handloads using 4064. Got a cheap 3x9 Bushnell on it.

Sounds like you got rid of that 22-250 a little before my time, but people around here will call me if they know of one for sale knowing I might be interested depending on funds and the caliber.

One thing I love about number 1's is that the handloads you can work up are pretty hot. For my .308 number 1, I have been using a 180g barnes triple shock X bullet using BLC(2), but since i got the 300 win mag number one I have transitioned to a 200 grain barnes long range X bullet with 75 grains of H1000. Both have now taken several bulls, but that old 375 has probably taken more elk and moose than I ever will when my grandfather had it. For that rifle I also shoot a barnes triple shock x bullet, but the 250g version with a whole bunch of reloader 15. My newest number 1 is my .243, which was used for that big buck, using the 80g triple shock x bullet with 48.5 grains of Superformance. I know I seem to be stuck on using Barnes, but they have been very good to me performance wise.

I stuck with the factory loads with my .308 for elk hunting. But back in the day I used to reload for my pre-divorce Ruger 77 7mm Rem Mag. My first boss at Racom, Bob Heitstuman, taught me reloading using his Rock Chucker. I have a Dillon 550B for pistol loads, and had a RCBS Reloader Special for rifle, but I recently gave that one away after inheriting a Turret press from my shooting buddy's widow. I passed it, the RCBS, on to my SIL. I've been giving a lot of firearms to the daughter's family since selling now is such a PITA. But they really enjoy it and I'm glad to pass on some traditions. My 11yr old granddaughter is a great shot with my old Para P14.45... cracks me up, that gun is almost bigger than she is!!!

The years that I borrowed my second Racom bozz's, Ken Johnson, 300 Win Mag, I used Winchester 220gr Silvertip. I don't know how they would have performed since I never got a shot off. That dang thing was a bruiser at sight in. Half a box was plenty enough punishment!!

Don't you realize that a .243 won't kill a mule deer??? At least according to some members. ;) (Although I took plenty with both my Rem 700 ADL in .243, and my Rem 700BDL in 6mm Rem)

Sooooo, tell me which is better.... 9mm or .45? ;):D

We have fun here and no shortage of opinions...........................................

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top