JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi! My name is Grey. I'm a pretty new gun owner interested in hunting, personal and home defense as well as defending vulnerable communities. I am a 30 year old genderqueer individual. I bought my first gun right around election time because I didn't feel safe, and I didn't feel I could rely on law enforcement to protect me and my family. I am hoping to build connections with other people in communities that experience violent hate crimes as well as learn more about being a safe and responsible gun owner.

I didn't feel I could rely on law enforcement to protect me and my family.

You are right. Law enforcement does not provide personal protection to citizens. The Supreme Court and multiple Appeals Courts have ruled they have no legal obligation to do so.

Protecting yourself and your family is an individual responsibility. In my view, taking precautions to protect yourself and loved ones from assault or theft is simply one aspect of being a responsible adult. You protect yourself from starvation by working a job, buying food, and making sure the cupboard is stocked.

The range of human activities that might be labeled precautionary are on a continuum: i.e., we take action based on our perception a particular risk exists, and the probability we will be exposed to those risks. I have home, auto and health insurance for that very reason. If you're familiar with Maslow's hierarchy of needs, personal safety is just one step up from physiological needs [air, water, food, shelter, etc.].
MaslowsHierarchyOfNeeds.jpg

You'll find the firearms community is predominately hetero and politically conservative. Non-firearms discussions are supposed to happen in the subforums called Off-Topic, The Den and The T a v e r n. Welcome to the Forum.

Grey - welcome to NWFA
If this is your first gun then be sure to be well trained in gun safety and proper storage.

There are several resources available and many can be found on this site. If you've already had training then enjoy your new gun and always be safe.

Welcome!

The only thing I don't like about PSTC are the prices and you can't bring your own ammo.
Btw, also curious in your choice of firearm.

Thanks for the welcome all. ^_^ for those who are wondering my first gun was a Remington 870. I wanted something really flexible. I have since bought a rem 700 for huntings and an LC9s for carry. I got my concealed carry and gun basics training from Raina over at BABS firearms training and I can't recomend that class enough for people completely new to shooting, especially women.

I have gone to PTSC on my own once I got my carry gun and while it's frustrating to train with different ammo than I carry, the range is on my way home from work so it's kinda hard to beat the convenience.

Welcome Gray.

I think you made a right choice. Police, no matter how much you love them, I'm never going to be where they need to be will need to be there. Their job for the most part he's cleaning up. You are always your own first responder.

Have you checked into Pink Pistols? The chapter here in Portland is nice enough but they don't seem to do too many things.

Still a good resource to have.

Like your choice on weapons overall. Shoot them as much as you can and plan ahead

Last Edited:
Welcome! You find lots of people here that like to be helpful.
I feel "safer" after this last election than I did the two previous ones and than I would have if the outcome were different, but can certainly understand the concerns of others with different beliefs and preferences. While I may not see eye-to-eye with you, Grey, I certainly support your right to live your life as you wish and I strongly encourage you to learn how to protect yourself, just like I do everyone.

Please tell me your 870 doesn't have a pistol grip. :D

Welcome @GreybGryphon
You'll find lots of good helpful advice from the people here who are all pro Second Amendment and believe that *all* citizens have the right to own firearms, hunt, and protect themselves and their loved ones. I second looking into Pink Pistols or Operation Blazing Sword.

You'll find the firearms community is predominately hetero and politically conservative.

While that is true. Most of us are also libertarians. I think most of us care much less about gender or race or politics than the fact that we all share a feeling that we need to take care of ourselves and our loved ones. And that we need to protect our rights to protect ourselves.

As I said, you are most welcome here

Welcome from Beaverton! Lots of great info to be found here from lots of great folks. No such thing as dumb questions so fire away (pun intended).

I have contacted opperation blazing sword and they don't really have a group in this area, though they did refer me to a few queer friendly firearms trainers. Still need to get in touch with the pink pistols.

The 700 is a 7mm rem magnum. This was perhaps not the most practical caliber, but I love that gun. The scope came stock with the rifle. At some point I will probably get a scope that better compliments such a long range caliber.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top