JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New to firearms adult here. When I was young my father and I spent a lot of time hunting and shooting together. So I once had experience with handling and shooting but realize that all that is gone now and need to relearn. Now that I'm much older with a family, I want to have the skills and confidence to safely protect my home and loved ones.

Recently, I've taken a safety class with Blackstone; Those folks are great. They recommended this this site.
Any encouragement or tips for a newbie are welcome and appreciated. Glad to be here.

1. More training. :)
2. Make sure to have a good quality safe or lock box.
3. Train everyone in the house on how to safely and property handle and use the firearms.
4. See #1.

Thanks.

A good quality safe is the first order of business. I don't own any firearms at the moment, so I'm thinking it is a good first choice to make.

My buddy recommended becoming a member at our local range. I've heard of people renting to try out at the range. Might look into this to see what I'm comfortable shooting. Not sure really where to start in terms of a first handgun. Thinking about trying a glock 19

Thanks.

A good quality safe is the first order of business. I don't own any firearms at the moment, so I'm thinking it is a good first choice to make.

My buddy recommended becoming a member at our local range. I've heard of people renting to try out at the range. Might look into this to see what I'm comfortable shooting. Not sure really where to start in terms of a first handgun. Thinking about trying a glock 19

All on the right track, until you got to the Glock. Of course, that ends up being a religious debate. :)

It is important to try as many firearms as possible. This allows you to really get a feel for which one works for you. A glock may be the correct one for you, it might not be. Becoming a member of a local range is a great way to do this. Another is to find a buddy who is a collector. Then bribe him with boxes of ammo. Many of the collector types won't ask, but just give it to them. Helps them support their own habit.

*cough* Springfield XDM *cough*

All on the right track, until you got to the Glock. Of course, that ends up being a religious debate. :)

It is important to try as many firearms as possible. This allows you to really get a feel for which one works for you. A glock may be the correct one for you, it might not be. Becoming a member of a local range is a great way to do this. Another is to find a buddy who is a collector. Then bribe him with boxes of ammo. Many of the collector types won't ask, but just give it to them. Helps them support their own habit.

*cough* Springfield XDM *cough*
Lol! what caliber?

Thanks.

Go to a gun show and spend a good day just walking around and hold every gun you see. Ask about them; dealers love to talk about guns* (*take what they say with a grain of salt or powder:p).

Do NOT buy anything there. Once you find a gun that feels good, then go look up it's pro's and con's.

Renting at a range is good but it is also limited compared to what's out there and available (used guns can be better then new ones and cheaper ).

Be prepared to be bombarded with people telling you which gun is best, something about everyone having an opinion and I can't remember the ending but I'm sure it pertains somehow;); take all the info and go with what you think is best.

Worst case, you sell it and take a small hit on the money you invested.

Best of Luck:)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads