JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anyone else attempted to do a color fill on their Springfield Armory Hellcat?
I did and it didn't work too well. I also have a Springfield Armory XD45 that I did the color fill on a while back and used the same process for the Hellcat.

I used nail polish (enamel paint) and fingernail polish remover(acetone.) It appears that the Hellcat has a finish on the steel that is removable by acetone. It's appears that the steel was blued and then 'stippled' with some other finish. Not exactly sure why they would change the process of getting the same looking finish to one that is so easily removed.

I'll have to post some pics of it, if I can get the detail.

Terry, AKA W5NRA

Note to Springfield Armory: I will badmouth the finish every time someone asks I like this pistol. Just in case someone from the company frequents the forums!

IMG-0295.JPG IMG-0294.JPG

Last Edited:
Hey Terry, do you think it was the acetone? I have a hellcat and was also considering doing a color fill. But, my wife has non-acetone fingernail polish remover. So I wonder if that would work better..?

You can use a nail polish, crayola etc.
On stuff that won't get hot, I use a crayon. Lowers and such look good with properly done fill.

I'm more interested in the OPs comment about acetone removing the finish....

I'm not sure at this point, as it's been 6 months since I did this. In my opinion even acetone should NOT remove the finish on the metal. I would think that anything that is NOT acid and/or grinding should NOT remove the finish.
I understand about the CerraKote/painting methods but when it appears to be blued metal, it should be blued metal.
If you try this, definitely do it in a non conspicuous area.
Mine definitely removed the finish.

*EDIT* I will try to get a pic and post what happened to mine maybe even with a microscope.

I'm not sure at this point, as it's been 6 months since I did this. In my opinion even acetone should NOT remove the finish on the metal. I would think that anything that is NOT acid and/or grinding should NOT remove the finish.
I understand about the CerraKote/painting methods but when it appears to be blued metal, it should be blued metal.
If you try this, definitely do it in a non conspicuous area.
Mine definitely removed the finish.

*EDIT* I will try to get a pic and post what happened to mine maybe even with a microscope.
Meh, I've seen WD40 mar the finish on a gun. Doesn't make it right, but you should probably spot test first next time.

I don't have a hellcat but I use non acetone nail polish remover to answer your question lefty. I color filled my Glock 17 that's about it. I just don't think the benefits out ways the risk. I like my guns to be very clean almost spotless it looks decent enough for my taste I'm no expert just some guy that paid like $10 for supplies to color fill. If you are going to color fill use non acetone nail polish remover like $1 for a bottle and it shouldn't ruin the coating. I also used some hoppes gun cleaner one time to clean the slide bubblegumed my gun coating up bad. Never used hoppes stuff again expect for their bore snakes I use slip2000 now.

728B1B6E-8039-4BC2-A0A1-E4A5A18EEA03.jpeg

You want(ed) to use NON-acetone.

The XDs and XDMs have a Melonite process that actually gets into the metal. It appears that the Hellcat either doesn't use the Melonite process or it was applied improperly... it wouldn't come off like that if it was done correctly.

You want(ed) to use NON-acetone.

The XDs and XDMs have a Melonite process that actually gets into the metal. It appears that the Hellcat either doesn't use the Melonite process or it was applied improperly... it wouldn't come off like that if it was done correctly.
Hindsight is 20/20! Cheaper process is not a better process, Springfield Arms!

Salt nitride is similar to parkerization on the surface of the metals the application is applied to. It aids in "grabbing" onto oils. Which aid in preventing oxidation.

This oil is in a sense absorbed into the metal layers.

Acetone will remove the oil. Causing a difference in appearance. Acetone and similar, is often used to treat metals before applying paints or ceramic coatings like Cerakote, by removing virtually all contaminates including oils so the paint can adhere better to the metal.

Once finished, the metals should be re-oiled. It's not a perfect science as you have no way of knowing what type of oil they used after that slide was salt nitrided, so you may never get the same appearance again. If you are unsatisfactory with your results, you could soak the entire slide in acetone to remove virtually all oils from the metal. Then soak in your choice of oil once finished, to re-treat the metals.

1610048877330.jpeg

Also to the pictures in the original post. That is paint residue combined with bare metal void of oil.

If you didn't clean prior or if you did with acetone, using the acetone dilutes the paint as well as removing the oils in the metal. Paint residue, now diluted, will try to bond to metal that is void of any oils to prevent it from doing so. Which is exactly what the OPs picture resembles.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top