JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just picked up a Hellbreaker lower. I'm really wanting to paint or finish the mouth of this in classic warplane fashion.

This won't be a battle weapon, and will be pampered as a fine rifle would, but I do want the coating or coloring to be durable and not chip or scratch easily.

My first thought was simple Testor's model paint, and that's really the only detail painting like this I've done...and that was 35 years ago. I have no airbrush experience.

I suspect DuraCote would be more durable, but they say not to use brushes.

Any thoughts, inputs or ideas on this?
Thanks.

Hellbreaker.jpg

http://th04.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2011/238/e/6/shark_teeth_by_daemonangel-d47x9xm.jpg

Hellbreaker.jpg

was looking at cerakote instructions the other day - seems that you would only need a toaster oven to bake it as iirc the cure is done in 250 degrees for a few hours, but then again cerakote seems to be pretty expensive stuff.

You could probably do this using engine paint - mask, spray, bake, repeat for each color.

Also - seems like you are fairly close by - if I can find my air brush I'll let you know - they are fairly easy to use and have a more control than a spray can.

Brownells sells small bottles of air-dry Cerakote. It's supposed to still be more durable than paint. Try that with lots of masking and an air brush. You can buy a cheap air brush setup at Harbor Freight if you have one nearby. Vancouver on SR500 is probably going to be the closest to Kalama.

That's a pretty cool idea. Were it me (and it may be after seeing that...;-) I'd ask some of the shops that do Cerakote finishes for an opinion. That would look rather bad ***; great idea..!!

I would paint a base of O.D. bake then allow several days to cure.
Mask for each color and bake before moving to the next
The teeth and eyes will most likely have to be hand brushed
There is a product that makes enamel paint flow so that brush marks do not show but I forget it's name, search the web.

After a good bit of poking around the Net, I drew a big ol' giant blank.

I stopped by Bob's Paint today, and picked up some sign paint, used for hand lettering pin striping, signage and such. It's made to be laid with a brush, and as chemical resistant and tough as you can find a paint, according to the sales guy. Expensive, but so be it. I'll practice on some stuff, degrease, prep and clean the lower, and paint away. I'll post results here.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top