Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Hellbreaker lower.. Detail painting tips wanted.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by KalamaMark, Nov 21, 2013.

1. KalamaMark

KalamaMark Kalama Wa Well-Known Member

I just picked up a Hellbreaker lower. I'm really wanting to paint or finish the mouth of this in classic warplane fashion.

This won't be a battle weapon, and will be pampered as a fine rifle would, but I do want the coating or coloring to be durable and not chip or scratch easily.

My first thought was simple Testor's model paint, and that's really the only detail painting like this I've done...and that was 35 years ago. I have no airbrush experience.

I suspect DuraCote would be more durable, but they say not to use brushes.

Any thoughts, inputs or ideas on this?
    Thanks.

Hellbreaker.jpg

http://th04.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2011/238/e/6/shark_teeth_by_daemonangel-d47x9xm.jpg

Hellbreaker.jpg

2. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

I have no idea but please tell me you'll post more pictures when it's finished.

ETA: And tell us how you did it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to need one of these.

3. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

was looking at cerakote instructions the other day - seems that you would only need a toaster oven to bake it as iirc the cure is done in 250 degrees for a few hours, but then again cerakote seems to be pretty expensive stuff.

You could probably do this using engine paint - mask, spray, bake, repeat for each color.

Also - seems like you are fairly close by - if I can find my air brush I'll let you know - they are fairly easy to use and have a more control than a spray can.

4. TwinStick

TwinStick In the wind Active Member

Brownells sells small bottles of air-dry Cerakote. It's supposed to still be more durable than paint. Try that with lots of masking and an air brush. You can buy a cheap air brush setup at Harbor Freight if you have one nearby. Vancouver on SR500 is probably going to be the closest to Kalama.

5. BlindedByScience

BlindedByScience Vancouver WA Well-Known Member

That's a pretty cool idea. Were it me (and it may be after seeing that...;-) I'd ask some of the shops that do Cerakote finishes for an opinion. That would look rather bad ***; great idea..!!

6. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

I would paint a base of O.D. bake then allow several days to cure.
    Mask for each color and bake before moving to the next
    The teeth and eyes will most likely have to be hand brushed
    There is a product that makes enamel paint flow so that brush marks do not show but I forget it's name, search the web.

7. KalamaMark

KalamaMark Kalama Wa Well-Known Member

After a good bit of poking around the Net, I drew a big ol' giant blank.

I stopped by Bob's Paint today, and picked up some sign paint, used for hand lettering pin striping, signage and such. It's made to be laid with a brush, and as chemical resistant and tough as you can find a paint, according to the sales guy. Expensive, but so be it. I'll practice on some stuff, degrease, prep and clean the lower, and paint away. I'll post results here.

8. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever Central Oregon Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

I am excited to see how it comes out. When I first saw those lowers I had no idea they were mimicking planes. They make a lot more sense now haha.

9. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

They sell Hello Kitty stickers down at the Walmart.

Just kidding!