JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anyone been to the helium comedy club? Are there metal detectors or security? I don't go into Portland without cc. I'm obviously not going to be drinking but I'm sure she will be & would like us to have a good time. I'm not to sure how to approach the situation. I'm all ears.. well eyes in this case lol
Thanks in advance everyone hope all is well.

I would seriously doubt the presence of metal detectors (those things are expensive), but a purse search and cursory pat-down may be on the menu.

Those are generally for show and they're probably looking more for smuggled liquor than weapons. Dudes, especially untrained "security" dudes, are hesitant to pat-down other dude's junk... that's all I'm saying.

I would seriously doubt the presence of metal detectors (those things are expensive), but a purse search and cursory pat-down may be on the menu.

Those are generally for show and they're probably looking more for smuggled liquor than weapons. Dudes, especially untrained "security" dudes, are hesitant to pat-down other dude's junk... that's all I'm saying.

keister stash my 25 acp got it hahaha. thanks for the reply I appreciate it man.

Has anyone been to the helium comedy club? Are there metal detectors or security? I don't go into Portland without cc. I'm obviously not going to be drinking but I'm sure she will be & would like us to have a good time. I'm not to sure how to approach the situation. I'm all ears.. well eyes in this case lol
Thanks in advance everyone hope all is well.
When Ive gone as a DD Ive carried there about 3 years ago?
Its a smaller venue. Nothing too crazy. They have security but no pat downs and no metal detectors.

Thanks a lot guy's I appreciate it. What about Harvey's comedy club lol I was apparently mistaken any input will be appreciated.

I used to go to Harvey's and they had nothing in the way of security, just a ticket counter. Curious if anybody has been by there recently though. The neighborhood has really gone to hell.

My belt buckle always sets those things off

maxresdefault.jpg

I used to go to Harvey's and they had nothing in the way of security, just a ticket counter. Curious if anybody has been by there recently though. The neighborhood has really gone to hell.
Yes it has there was a couple dude's one was fighting with a lamp post & one was a super sleazy tweeker type I was happy that I chose to carry. Harvey's has nothing as far as security goes & water counts as there 2 drink min. All & all it was fun the comedian even mentioned how he has to wade through 3feet of piss to even get into the door lol downtown has always been kinda scummy but it's a whole new place now kinda sad really.

*Old thread*

Went last night to Helium. 5/27/23

Small note, I refuse to go into Portland unarmed. Not because I think there will be a shootout.. it's simply because the mental and drug abuse problems run rampant and local law enforcement and politicians could care less, meaning innocent people get attacked and sometimes murdered and the city doesn't give a damn.

Back to Helium: when we walk through the front doors, there was a "security" guard doing a wand wave down.. I don't think the wand was even on.. I had a pistol, a spare mag and a knife.. I should have beeped like R2D2. At first, I was relieved.. however as I walked up the stairs I got far more worried.. with the abysmal wand wave down, literally anyone can bring anything into that place with a headliner comedian and a small crowded room. They do have "bag check" signs.. no purses were checked and I didn't see anyone with a backpack to verify the bag check policy.. but as the line got longer and more people funneled through I felt like the security guard was just passing people along as quickly as possible.

I'd truly like to talk to them and perhaps have locker options, CHL exemptions and much stricter security. When people get to drinking, often times they get violent.. this gap in security is an incident waiting to happen..sure I got lucky and could engage in my right to defend myself; but dang so could any bad actor there.

If no weapons are allowed, they truly need a much more thorough security team and measures. If a place is going to have security, HAVE SECURITY. The pain in the bubblegum kind that misses nothing but keeps their security game tight. I wanted to say something, but at the same time I appreciated the ability to carry defensive tools.. rather than having to leave them in my car, which would not have been an option due to vehicle break-ins and ultimately people watching me walk back to the car to hide my now unattended gun that they can easily smash'n grab and gain access to.

YMMV but that was last night experience.
Also, if you hate the smell of weed.. I'd suggest not going there. I don't hate weed, I don't partake but it's not something that bothers me smell/use wise as I consider it similar to alcohol in that regard.. but for those that hate smoke or weed smells.. you will have an abundance of the weed smell all around (FYI). It IS Portland after all.

Ive been to Helium 3 times in the last year including this year already and never been wanted or frisked.

I dont recommend calling venues and asking because thats just increases their awareness of CHLs holders, I just dont have confidence any venue in Portlandia would support CHLs they would start looking into buying wands....
Just go. If you see a wand go back to your car and put it in a locked container.

Ive been to Helium 3 times in the last year including this year already and never been wanted or frisked.

I dont recommend calling venues and asking because thats just increases their awareness of CHLs holders, I just dont have confidence any venue in Portlandia would support CHLs they would start looking into buying wands....
Just go. If you see a wand go back to your car and put it in a locked container.
I'm just not a fan of putting a firearm back in an unattended vehicle within Portland let alone anywhere else.

I'm just not a fan of putting a firearm back in an unattended vehicle within Portland let alone anywhere else.
Roger that! Except for the post office or a hospital (even then, eh.), I'd rather not support the business that doesn't let legally armed citizens in their establishment.

If I had to put my gun away, I'd go to a different club or just do without the comedy.

*Old thread*

Went last night to Helium. 5/27/23

Small note, I refuse to go into Portland unarmed. Not because I think there will be a shootout.. it's simply because the mental and drug abuse problems run rampant and local law enforcement and politicians could care less, meaning innocent people get attacked and sometimes murdered and the city doesn't give a damn.

Back to Helium: when we walk through the front doors, there was a "security" guard doing a wand wave down.. I don't think the wand was even on.. I had a pistol, a spare mag and a knife.. I should have beeped like R2D2. At first, I was relieved.. however as I walked up the stairs I got far more worried.. with the abysmal wand wave down, literally anyone can bring anything into that place with a headliner comedian and a small crowded room. They do have "bag check" signs.. no purses were checked and I didn't see anyone with a backpack to verify the bag check policy.. but as the line got longer and more people funneled through I felt like the security guard was just passing people along as quickly as possible.

I'd truly like to talk to them and perhaps have locker options, CHL exemptions and much stricter security. When people get to drinking, often times they get violent.. this gap in security is an incident waiting to happen..sure I got lucky and could engage in my right to defend myself; but dang so could any bad actor there.

If no weapons are allowed, they truly need a much more thorough security team and measures. If a place is going to have security, HAVE SECURITY. The pain in the bubblegum kind that misses nothing but keeps their security game tight. I wanted to say something, but at the same time I appreciated the ability to carry defensive tools.. rather than having to leave them in my car, which would not have been an option due to vehicle break-ins and ultimately people watching me walk back to the car to hide my now unattended gun that they can easily smash'n grab and gain access to.

YMMV but that was last night experience.
Also, if you hate the smell of weed.. I'd suggest not going there. I don't hate weed, I don't partake but it's not something that bothers me smell/use wise as I consider it similar to alcohol in that regard.. but for those that hate smoke or weed smells.. you will have an abundance of the weed smell all around (FYI). It IS Portland after all.
That's security theater in a nutshell. Minimum wage, low hiring standards ("Can you fog a mirror? Great! You're hired!"), extremely high turnover, minimal training, minimal validation of performance, oftentimes no oversight...

To be fair, most venue security isn't intended to stop a mass shooting or other critical incident. More often than not it's to check a box for the insurance company, or to discourage disorderly conduct, move along vagrants, prevent trespassing, etc. Properly trained armed security from a reputable provider is expensive, so many clubs and bars who want armed security often contract with small-time service providers or private parties, which can be hit or miss.

Friends in the event business call the idea of security "Hiring the shirt". Not necessarily qualified but are there to be seen as a deterrent.
Shots fired? Which direction will they run?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top