JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why were you denied a CHL?

The Lieutenant at Multco CHL licensing cited two reasons:

First reason: ORS 166.291(h), where you can't have been guilty of a misdemanor in the past four years.

I was guilty of a misdemeanor in 2010, in the State of California, but it was expunged in May, 2012. I applied for the CHL in Oct. 2012. On my LEDS report, the misdemeanor conviction shows-up, but not the expungement.

I attempted to explain this to him in a letter, and provided supporting documentation, but nothing ever became of that.

FYI: ORS 166.291(2) Ensures that expunged convictions do not count against you in obtaining a CHL.

Second Reason: ORS 166.293(2), where I could pose a threat to the general safety of the public.

He called it "numerous assault-related, and weapons arrests."

There were some arrests, but no convictions.

As much as I am RABIDLY ALL FOR private property rights, you can't just (legally) shoot someone (or point a gun DIRECTLY at them) for merely trespassing, and as amusing as it would be (to me anyway) nor can you (legally) set injurious boobie-traps (i.e. bear traps, punji-stake pits, door guns on a string, piano wire @ neck height across motorcycle trails, etc.) on/in your private property to prevent/punish trespassing.

I realize the context of this thread, but if I were ever trespassing on private property it would only be because I was unaware that I was, and if I had a pack of dogs turned loose on me, or a gun directly pointed (or shot) at me there'd most likely be a killin' one way or the other.

You have every right to confront/ascertain what a person (or persons) are doing on your private property then deal with them accordingly, but justified use of deadly force (or threat of deadly force) STILL applies in all cases.

I am not saying we should just shoot anyone that trespassed on our properties. But when a person willfully ignores a posted no-trespassing sign, then that should give us a warning. As it was stated above and I believe its right, a cop may draw his weapon, click the safety off and then confront a trespasser to see what he is doing. Why not a property owner? The cop or property owner should not just shoot first then ask questions later, but if they truly feel their life is in danger and they feel justified in shooting the trespasser then I would probably stand behind their decision.

The Lieutenant at Multco CHL licensing cited two reasons:

First reason: ORS 166.291(h), where you can't have been guilty of a misdemanor in the past four years.

I was guilty of a misdemeanor in 2010, in the State of California, but it was expunged in May, 2012. I applied for the CHL in Oct. 2012. On my LEDS report, the misdemeanor conviction shows-up, but not the expungement.

I attempted to explain this to him in a letter, and provided supporting documentation, but nothing ever became of that.

FYI: ORS 166.291(2) Ensures that expunged convictions do not count against you in obtaining a CHL.

Second Reason: ORS 166.293(2), where I could pose a threat to the general safety of the public.

He called it "numerous assault-related, and weapons arrests."

There were some arrests, but no convictions.

Well, the officer did cite "arrests". Seems like a reasonable reason to deny. Want a Concealed License? Don't get arrested for assault and weapons offenses.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

I actually have really enjoyed the challenge that eluding the process server brings. I don't let the trespass part bother me cause I never answer the door anyhow. That just leaves the 30 seconds the garage door is going up or down, usually. Process servers out here charge for three trys and I love running up the bill:s0114:

It is funny. Many will find it more convenient to take the papers one day, and not another. It is just a game.

No, I like PI work better because I don't like getting up into peoples' faces. I never tried Repo work, and am fey to do that. People get uptight and irrational over "their" cars.

My son-in-law was a field collector for a large local utility. They contact people about past due bills and remove meters when necessary. He's been threatened with guns, knives, and dogs many times. When he makes a second trip he brings the police along.

Yeah, the cops NEVER make mistakes with regard to arrests....

and if you believe that, let me tqalk about bridges in Brooklyn and the Tooth Fairy...

Mistakes aren't unheard of by any means. The wife was pulled over a few years ago in Portland for merging into the carpool lane 20 yards or so before the end of carpool lane sign. The cop starts asking her where her husband "John" was and when did she move from grants pass to WA. Apparently the person he was looking for had the same name and DOB as my wife and fortunately he followed through and ran a second check that verified they were 2 different people.

I am as territorial as anybody and I am armed 100% of the time I am awake and on my property. That said, I would not be pulling a gun somebody who is on my property but not threatening me or my family. Pushing my HD out of my garage or effecting entry into my domicile is a different story.

I did some electronics and appliances repos when I was young. Hated the job but needed the money. I just shook my head when a gal answered the door a crack with a kitchen knife. Told my boss, well, didn't get Mrs. Smith's tv. He just laughed and said. Nobody does.
Fortunately that job is 25 years in my rear view window.

Brutus out

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads