JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
this is a long shot (pun intended), but does anyone have an opinion or experience with the Heinie EZ-Lock sight system? There is supposed to be some kind of bar the set screws expand....
(In my case, specifically for a Novak style 1911 cut...)

They have the exact sight in their Ledge series I want to upgrade to but I'm skeptical they don't use a press fit and don't trust relying on the set screws to hold the sight in. The advantage would be, I wouldn't need to have a smith install it.

Opinions, recommendations greatly appreciated.

EZ-LOCK™ Sights - Heinie Specialty Products, Inc.

https://www.heinie.com/ultra-low-mou...ght-black.html

1594510128425.png

Don't most rear sights have set screws? I've got a Dan Wesson officer night sights that were taken off brand new. I think I have an ad somewhere buried here.

Don't most rear sights have set screws? I've got a Dan Wesson officer night sights that were taken off brand new. I think I have an ad somewhere buried here.
Most do nowadays... to cover up for poor machining and fitting. The few I have dont need them the press fit is fine with the screws removed. I used to own one gun that the rear sight fell off no matter how I torqued the set screws, after a very long exchange with the rep, I made the manufacturer exchange the pistol for me due to poor workmanship the "novak" cut in the slide was machined too big the slide was forever ruined.

So my experiences do not trust set screws to secure dovetail fits.

I dont mind new technologies... I had to email them, this Heinie sight uses a bar that expands under the set screws, so this is different and not entirely relying on set screw torque.

I've got two 1911's, one is a Colt that Wilson Combat installed the dovetail and sights; I'm pretty sure the sight has a setscrew. The other is the Dan Wesson, I don't remember which I used, it's Either Dawson or 10-8. I'm pretty sure it's the 10-8. Whatever it is, also has the setscrew. I haven't had any problems.

I've got two 1911's, one is a Colt that Wilson Combat installed the dovetail and sights; I'm pretty sure the sight has a setscrew. The other is the Dan Wesson, I don't remember which I used, it's Either Dawson or 10-8. I'm pretty sure it's the 10-8. Whatever it is, also has the setscrew. I haven't had any problems.
Aftermarket sight companies like Dawson and 10-8 are putting set screws on to make up for dovetail tolerances they cant control (customers guns) so the get less returns. If Wilson installed your sight you wont need the screw, but take them out and let me know how you feel trusting the screw if its all that was holding it in place. You dont need them on a properly fit dovetail.

Aftermarket sight companies like Dawson and 10-8 are putting set screws on to make up for dovetail tolerances they cant control (customers guns) so the get less returns. If Wilson installed your sight you wont need the screw, but take them out and let me know how you feel trusting the screw if its all that was holding it in place. You dont need them on a properly fit dovetail.
I've never taken the screws off of the Colt, but it took a decent amount of filling to get the Day Wesson sight on, it's definitely not going anywhere.

I've never taken the screws off of the Colt, but it took a decent amount of filling to get the Day Wesson sight on, it's definitely not going anywhere.
thats how you properly fit a dovetail sight. You dont need the setscrews.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top