Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Heavy weight fish

Discussion in 'Northwest Fishing' started by peter lam, Mar 20, 2013.

1. peter lam

peter lam California New Member

I can't forget my last journey I love fishing and try to make my all picnic tour in fishing. Last time when I went in Pacific Ocean I was fishing hunting I got my heavy weight fish that was 25 ponds on a scale you know I was really happy that time..... Guys do you have any journey like this I have?

2. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

Peter, I too love fishing. I'm not pulling your leg when I tell you this, I caught a #178 Hallibut, the largest Chinook Salmon I've taken was #67. the largest Steelhead was #27, the largest searun Cutthroat trout was #6 1/2. I've brought Sturgeon to the side of the boat in the 11' class that we were unable to weigh but was in the many hundreds. I've fished from Bristol bay to Costa Rica and I can tell you this, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I have a wife that knows my sickness and doesn't mind me indulging my passion. I caught her over 35 years ago, once I cast my net around her, I knew she was a keeper;)

gallogiro, OEDub, Dunerunner and 13 others like this.
  3. snooopidydoo

snooopidydoo Medford Oregon Active Member

It's amazing how 'Fishing' can be such a down right addicting sport. I've had the sickness since as far back as i can remember.

4. 1stklass

1stklass salem oregon Well-Known Member

an 11 foot sturgeon should be in the 900 lb range! there are sturgeon weight estimates by length for catch and release anglers that will tell you how much they weigh approx, just google it :thumbup:

5. samuelm16

samuelm16 se pdx Well-Known Member

Some of my best days are days that i will remember on my deathbed with friends ive lost contact with cath and release winter steelhead fishing up at a creek south of the salmon river

6. salmonriverjohn

Shhhh, I know.

7. samuelm16

samuelm16 se pdx Well-Known Member

Oh beleive me she never gets called out by name

8. salmonriverjohn

They say days spent on the water after piscatorial pursuits are not deducted from ones life span, therefore I should live a long, long time!

If you ever want to hear a good yarn, ask a one armed fisherman how long the biggest fish he ever caught was:bluelaugh:

9. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

I too love fishing and got pretty good at it. I only have a problem with catching just never got any good at that part:violinist:

10. 1stklass

LOL My left arm is useless right now... torn labrum but here is a fish for you.... sturgeon3.jpg

sturgeon3.jpg

11. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

I don't think I have ever hooked any fish that was a true monster. I did hook something off the south jetty at Newport that broke my rod ( Sea lion is my guess ). My best fishing memory though is fishing sea run Cuts on the Siletz with ultralight gear. even the smallest would take line like a salmon.

RICKRWS and (deleted member) like this.
  12. salmonriverjohn

Sea run cutthroat are one of my favorite all time fish to ply the waters for. They always give a good account of them self's, and as table fare their hard to beat.

RICKRWS and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Fish rite

Fish rite Oregon Member

Congrats, a 35er can be hard to get with a line like that. We are blessed fishermen! Best day fishin? Yesterday, not a bite. My31er made me and the kid go get pizza. For heavy weights, go o/s sturgeon. A 10 footer Will make you not want to catch him, good times

14. elkoholic79

elkoholic79 salem Member

my biggest sturgeon was 13'4 only 400 yrds from the ramps at warren...it was about 2 1/2 hrs to get it to the boat using a 6'6 ugly stick penn 321gt reel 80# toughline and 120# dacron leader #7 gamakatsu hook...my arm was so dead i was done fishing the rest of the day...in that same spot my dad hooked an 8' and his buddy another 8' fish and i have cought a couple 6-8'...the spot doesnt give up many keepers but if your going for oversized weve had good luck

15. 1stklass

Then my fish is a baby!!!

bigfish resized.jpg

bigfish resized.jpg

16. HappyRoman

HappyRoman Sherwood Forest Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Fishing, Ah shucks.. No Catching is the deal.. Landed a 51" 60lb+ halibut on Thursday, and a 41" 30+, on Friday.. that's the big fish deal.. Out of Newport, OR..Halibut.. yahoo
    Season will close on Saturday..

17. Old as Dirt

Old as Dirt Pacific NW Active Member

Years ago.. 12' kicker out of Neah Bay.. big halibut, had to cut the line.. was towing us out to sea and was getting dark..

18. ckase

ckase Bend,OR New Member

Wow

19. Glock23gp

Glock23gp Newport / Salem Active Member

Got this fat cabezon and 43lb tuna last year hymuje3u.jpg

ru5uny4u.jpg

And landed over 20 halibut on Thursday out of Newport

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

gallogiro and (deleted member) like this.
  20. salmonriverjohn

You ain't fooling me none,, that's my mother in law glock23!