JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which route?

• Total voters
Reactions
Bought a 10/22 for $100.

Naturally, I can't just leave it alone....

Looking at getting at least a barrel and new stock. Maybe a trigger later. But at least a stock and barrel.

Which barrel route would you take?

Im undecided really.

Likely be used to shoot bench but who knows.

1580858873300.jpeg
1580858947883.jpeg
1580859021501.jpeg

carbon fiber :D i think those are sweet! super light weight!

TBH idk though. i run a stock barrel with a cheap adapter to run my can on it thats not supposed to have rimfire ammo shot thru it anyway but IDGAF :rolleyes::eek:

10/22's are like Pringle's.

Build one up with a heavy.

Get another and go silly light...like sub 2lbs light.

You know, for grins and giggles.

Light for the fact i dont shoot it much(10/22), and when i do, im not caring all that much about "precision" just shooting at smallish popcan sized object and chasing it around till it has too many holes to continue moving it.

carbon fiber :D i think those are sweet! super light weight!

TBH idk though. i run a stock barrel with a cheap adapter to run my can on it thats not supposed to have rimfire ammo shot thru it anyway but IDGAF :rolleyes::eek:
I haven't seen many carbon fiber barrels. Got any manufacturers in mind?

Geen mountain medium contour. You don't need axle heavy to shoot good. I'd keep it mediuim weight so it packs good and balances great for those offhand shots on small game. Then when you want to shoot off the bench, the green mountain barrel is surprisingly accurate. .... That's how I'm going to roll with my next 10-22. I've been thinking about buying another 10-22, so I will fit in better with the guys at the club on our golf ball shoots.. They hate my 17HMR.....:
:D

If you are likely bench shooting this gun, sell the 10/22 and get a bolt rifle instead. If you are fine with plinking and informal shooting and the occasional grouse or squirrel, stick with the 10/22 and go with a medium/sporter contour barrel. Making the 10/22 an acceptable bench gun will be expensive, making the 10/22 a good plinker/hunter is much cheaper.

I went with the red dot
It will make shooting the 10-22 more fun IMO and if you find you are very accurate using that dot, you may not need the heavy barrel:D

Looking at getting at least a barrel and new stock. Maybe a trigger later. But at least a stock and barrel.

go heavy, Rugers arent that heavy IMO and 22s are rifles that are all about fun. I put a Boyds thumbhole stock on mine with a Green Mountain fluted bull barrel and hunt grouse and rabbit with it. Thing is a tack driver.

I put a Volquartsen parts and shim kit to update the trigger in mine (I'm pretty sure this involved replacing the hammer and sear, springs and spacers -- it was some time ago now) - it's super crisp and clean. As I understand it, newer 10/22 triggers are better than the old ones and while it might sound ridiculous, the stock fire control group on my early 80s vintage 10/22 was starting to make my finger ache after extended shooting sessions. That's what prompted me to update the trigger. I'm glad I changed it though -- as an investment, it gave me an instant and obvious return. So maybe think about the trigger if the one you have is not so hot.

I voted light barrel!

I've been thinking about getting a bolt stop for mine, so I can run it like a bolt action when I want too. 10/22s are awesome, but they can very quickly turn down the path to the money pit :D

1580914341970.png
1580914383366.png

I say light, I am a big fan of TacSol barrels. Lighter than the factory barrel, and just looks cool. I have them on 2 of my 10/22s, and on my my MK4. The barrel on the takedown has iron sights, so if I take the red dot off, I have them to use if nI choose.

Ruger 1022s c.JPG

Ruger MK4 Tactical a.JPG

I say light, I am a big fan of TacSol barrels. Lighter than the factory barrel, and just looks cool. I have them on 2 of my 10/22s, and on my my MK4. The barrel on the takedown has iron sights, so if I take the red dot off, I have them to use if nI choose.

View attachment 657165

View attachment 657167
I definitely like their products. I had a previous 10/22 with one and it was a truly light and enjoyable plinker.

Anyone know of a taper barrel in stainless with iron sights that's threaded 1/2x28? Factory looking but improved?

I put a $10 Amazon 1913 rail on it and a red dot I had lying around. It's not threaded, but I'll still play with it at the range until I figure out what I want to do with it.

Im leaning towards lightweight as I'm thinking I'll buy that binary trigger for it once available. I think that will be it's first modification over a new barrel.

Just be sure to color coordinate everything---stock,, barrel, scope mount, scope rings, scope. Nothing worse that an ugly 10-22. You also might want to leave it alone and see how it shoots before tearing into it.

20190601_182656_resized_1.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top