JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I would really like to be told when a mod removes a post of mine and a reason for it, even if it's a generic drop down box/form letter.

I posted a non-confrontational response in a thread that is very combative between a few people and now my response gone a few hours later. No, my post did not add to the conversation, nor did it attempt to incite argument, it was a snarky statement that contained a lot less vitriol than is being spouted off between the rest of the participants. No one likes to be silenced and with no reason given it's worse. Is there a way we can have an in-line moderation(THIS POST HAS BEEN REMOVED BY MODERATOR FOR X REASON) instead of just wiping out a person's voice without even the courtesy of saying why?

I feel ya - that has happened to me on other forums - and after modding one and doing just that, I do understand it is very time consuming to look up your infraction and post a personal response. Te auto response is a great idea.

I will give kudos to deadeye for sending me an explanation of my infraction earlier today. I may disagree with it but mods can only do their best and everything is subject to perspective.

There was definitely a reason why those needed to go.

Ya know folks, if someone wants to spend money on their gun to make it the ay they want it, why do folks chime in with the childish crap about Glock triggers, buy something else etc. UGH!

I would really like to be told when a mod removes a post of mine and a reason for it, even if it's a generic drop down box/form letter.

I posted a non-confrontational response in a thread that is very combative between a few people and now my response gone a few hours later. No, my post did not add to the conversation, nor did it attempt to incite argument, it was a snarky statement that contained a lot less vitriol than is being spouted off between the rest of the participants. No one likes to be silenced and with no reason given it's worse. Is there a way we can have an in-line moderation(THIS POST HAS BEEN REMOVED BY MODERATOR FOR X REASON) instead of just wiping out a person's voice without even the courtesy of saying why?

Seems to me you know exactly why it was removed.

The mod bashing on this website is out of control. I'd like to see you guys, give your time and energy, for free. When you do that, see if you want to explain every little detail about every little removal and flagged post.

Deadeye, Wichita, Joe, and any other mods that I missed, thanks for everything!

As a former mod of one and current mod of another site I can say that yes, we give a reason for each instance of moderation. Having a post of mine, here, disappear without any attempt at explanation is tantamount to slapping the words out of my mouth. Moderation is key to reasoned discourse, it is also easily twisted into a tool of power. My reason for being upset is not only that my reply was removed, but that it was removed from a thread where threats were made and personal insults had been exchanged. So that signals to me that I can call you a half brained, slope headed, inbred, milk drinker for choosing to use X product but I can't have a normal, if snarky, reply make it through the human filters on the site.

If you think this is mod bashing then your skin is as resilient as tissue paper and you need to grow up and wear big boy panties.

The above was said in an attempt to keep this reply actually in the thread as opposed to being moderated into the aether by someone who either doesn't understand or doesn't like the concept of humour and was not meant as an actual personal attack. Go ahead and White-Knight for the mods, they do a hard job...not well, but they do it. Now THAT was mod bashing.

Last Edited:
As a former mod of one and current mod of another site I can say that yes, we give a reason for each instance of moderation. Having a post of mine, here, disappear without any attempt at explanation is tantamount to slapping the words out of my mouth. Moderation is key to reasoned discourse, it is also easily twisted into a tool of power. My reason for being upset is not that my reply was removed, but that it was removed from a thread where threats were made and personal insults had been exchanged. So that signals to me that I can call you a half brained, slope headed, inbred, milk drinker for choosing to use X product but I can't have a normal, if snarky, reply make it through the human filters on the site.

If you think this is mod bashing then your skin is as resilient as tissue paper and you need to grow up and wear big boy panties.

The above was said in an attempt to keep this reply actually in the thread as opposed to being moderated into the aether by someone who either doesn't understand or doesn't like the concept of humour and was not meant as an actual personal attack. Go ahead and White-Knight for the mods, they do a hard job...not well, but they do it. Now THAT was mod bashing.

So, because someone else breaks the rules, you should be able to, aslong as it isn't as large of an offense? That is about as childish it gets. Your post got deleted and you got butthurt about it, simple as that. You know exactly why it was taken down and you even alluded to that in your first post on the subject.

As being thin skinned? I honestly care less what your opinion is of me, as it holds zero weight with me. I was unaware that there was such a thing as "big boy panties", but if there is such a thing, I'm sure you would be the expert.

And the "White-Knighting" for the mods? Far from it. However, it is a bit annoying that big ol' crybabies like yourself find every little thing to whine and cry about. You are being offered a service free of charge and yet, some people find the need to piss and moan about everything.

Get over it dude, no need for all the butthurtz.

And if my post does get deleted, Mod's, don't feel the need to message me as to why, as I am smart enough to connect the dots.

Have a good night!

I think there is a severe lack of comprehension of sarcasm around these parts. I even stated that my name calling was not genuine and yet you devolved into replying to me using the same. I hope you were being humorous on purpose and not actually being genuine.

My attempts at levity are being used as an example of what appears to be a bias, or at least inconsistency, about the moderation techniques around these parts. So far I have not had any of the mods give me a clear response. No I in fact do not know why my particular post was removed that's why I came here and posed the question. You see, I have a concern that I will type up a response into a thread and it will disappear without me being informed of a moderator's action and I'll never know it's gone unless I happen to specifically search for it. That is the crux of the matter; people deleting what I felt was important enough to spend time typing and yet not telling me it was removed.

I'm an intelligent being, I know that calling someone names or making personal attacks or threats is going to get me shut down. Yet when you compare the words I typed against the weight of those in the thread it was placed in you will see that the removal was not balanced evenly against them. In the very least I feel that members of this site should be given a simple reason:

"THIS POST HAS BEEN MODERATED; RULE 3 INFRACTION"
"THIS POST HAS BEEN REMOVED DUE TO RULE 1 VIOLATION"

How difficult is that?

WOW. I moderate a forum on a HUGE photo discussion site with almost 6 times the membership of NWFA and its a world wide crowd. And photographers and camera collectors tend to be way less polite then firearms enthusiasts with open cussing and some serious name calling common behavior.

And just the act of discussing the moderation in the open forums is actionable with most violators getting a time out for 30 days at the very least. 2nd offenses or arguments over the action will typically result in a ban from the site.

The moderation here is as even handed as I have seen across 5 different hobby and professional forums I am active on.

Since this is a free site just like a radio if you don't like whats playing through the speaker its got two dials one changes the channel and the other turns off the sound. If you don't like the way this place works. A mouse click or two and your somewhere else.

An update on this, we're working to make this an integrated part of the software. This should be up and running soon.

Just saw this thread - in general if I edit or remove a post I message the person letting them know what was done and why. It may be a note as simple as "edited/removed your post in thread X for cleanup". I may have missed a few when cleaning up a mess, I would guess that if I did it occurred when removing multiple posts quoting the post(s) that were the problem.

@Joe Link and the other mods

We are facing the mid-term elections - if you all have an agreement on specific things which will be problematic please put up a sticky.

The "non-firearm political" is a bit too broad I think.

Thanks,

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top