JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Stick with the stock plastic unit it is designed to flex under recoil, the snake oil guide rod removes this flex and has occasionally led to a cracked frame. That retailer also has a really bad rep.

Don't know if this makes a difference to you at all but I have a two piece hardened steel guide rod from Wolff in a G29, mainly because I needed to change to heavier spring weight, Wolff spring have always been good to me and the Wolff rod is claimed to support the spring better.

So far it has been flawless, I guess time will tell but I seriously doubt there will be any issues at this point but if I didn't need a heavier spring I would have left it alone

Tungsten guide rods do not have a natural flex. Extremely brittle in nature this stiffness is not a issue I would introduce into a recoil system of a gun. With no real give it transfers the pressures into the frame and over even short cause issues in gun operations. I saw it this year. The rod was returned to stock one and all the issues went away and I have not heard another complaint from the owner.
Of it anit broke don't fix it.

Wow I don't know how much info in this thread is first hand or regurgitated third hand from the internet or just plain made up.

I have the full length tungsten guide rods in both my G34 and G35 with absolutely zero issues over thousands of rounds.

The comments here are the first I've ever read across several Glock forums. I would take it all with a grain of salt...or better yet ignore completely.

Glock forums are at best a poor source of reliable information, with one or two exceptions. I spent my time on several of them and quickly narrowed it down to one that was close to being a good source of information,

I am happy you like the tungsten guide rods, And you obviously don't lack the blind faith of glock being perfection since you changed the guide rods. But you faith is forums and not interacting with humans is whom deal with reality is disturbing.
SO i would advise caution to those reading your post.

I have Aro-tek Titanium guide rods with factory spring in all my gen 3 glocks. I did this only because the spring were wearing out and these rods let me change the spring.

I recently considered a tungsten unit, but passed due to cost and the brittleness concerns. I instead just went with a stainless unit with ISMI spring for improved durability and longevity. In fact, put about 200 rounds through the gun yesterday in various drills, including both double and single handed grips, zero issues.

The factory units are cheap enough that you could certainly replace them fairly frequently. But I have also heard of limited cases of them melting and having other issues, tho they did continue working.

As for the 'natural flex' thing, as it relates to the guide rod, I dunno. Never seen anything from Glock on the topic, but I could certainly have missed it. I do know their Gen 4s are running metal guide rods, so that would seem to debunk that myth a little unless the Gen 4 frames were changed specifically for this issue.

And I've personally shot an older 2-pin 9mm that has had a Wolff steel guide rod in it for many rounds, no signs of any issues what so ever.

Just my $.02 worth of hands on experience, YMMV.

BOSS

Don't ask how, but I have managed to break a Glock guiderod. Replaced all the plastic ones with stainless units after that. Never looked back. I see them as an improvement if anything. There is not much wrong with a stock Glock. However there are things that can be improved on.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top