JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I find with the 1911s I have that there isn't much if any difference in performance between factory and aftermarket, all seem to run very close in both speed and accuracy. Having both standard 5" and a couple of "Long Slide" hammers, I find on the low side about 80 f.p.s with factory stuff, and hand loads tend to show some where north of 120 f.p.s on up, showing that this caliber Really wants more barrel length. While the 5 inch barreled 1911s are awesome for carry, the long slide hammers really shine for woods carry. Velocities are even more impressive out of a P.C.C, mine has a 13 inch barrel and 1600+ f.p.s. is pretty standard with factory and I'm not posting what it does with my hand loads!

I find with the 1911s I have that there isn't much if any difference in performance between factory and aftermarket, all seem to run very close in both speed and accuracy. Having both standard 5" and a couple of "Long Slide" hammers, I find on the low side about 80 f.p.s with factory stuff, and hand loads tend to show some where north of 120 f.p.s on up, showing that this caliber Really wants more barrel length. While the 5 inch barreled 1911s are awesome for carry, the long slide hammers really shine for woods carry. Velocities are even more impressive out of a P.C.C, mine has a 13 inch barrel and 1600+ f.p.s. is pretty standard with factory and I'm not posting what it does with my hand loads!
I'll check my 1911 on the next outing. I've been thinking about getting a 9" for the G20. But got discouraged by http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/10mm.html.
I want to have my G29 do 1200fps w 200gr for woods and Alaska fishing :)

I'll check my 1911 on the next outing. I've been thinking about getting a 9" for the G20. But got discouraged by http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/10mm.html.
I want to have my G29 do 1200fps w 200gr for woods and Alaska fishing :)
Not sure if i 100% buy that data. Its something.. Im not discounting it. But it ain't everything.
I don't see anything on there about various powders. I assume just various factory loads.
Not to mention different powder primer combos like std. Or magnum primers.

Not sure if i 100% buy that data. Its something.. Im not discounting it. But it ain't everything.
I don't see anything on there about various powders. I assume just various factory loads.
Not to mention different powder primer combos like std. Or magnum primers.
I agree and I think they are only posting factory stuff for obvious reasons, I.E. Glock specs!
I would love to see their test protocols and then run one of my 5 inch 1911's through those with the high end stuff and my hand loads!

What so many are now calling heavy loads for the 10mm, I consider to be standard loads. it's what the 10mm was designed to be.

When they were available, pre-o'biden, Minuteman Ammo made some pretty decent stuff.

As did Federal, with their Vital-Shok offering.

There's still quite a bit of 10mm ammo offered, 180 grain with 1250+ fps velocity.

And not quite as hot, but still formidable, are the SIG and PMC offerings.

Any and all the above loads are far more powerful than any de-tuned 10mm or .40 S&W load.

I've learned to really like the 10mm cartridge. Very manageable in spite of what the ballistics might suggest, and very accurate.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads