JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking at "building" a 6.5CM AR10 with the intent of shooting no less than 1k yards. I'd choose a bigger cartridge if it'd fit, but anyway... 114 changes things. I want this sucker to be heavy to suck up any recoil the already pipsqueak 6.5 produces. What I've found for options are a 24" heavy profile BA barrel, likely using my sandman L on front and a Magpul PRS at the back. From there, I'm not sure how to get more weight than standard AR10s. Quad rail? Steel inserts? I'm open to suggestions.

Before I read PRS I was going to suggest an A2 stock and weight.

They sell pic rail weights. A while ago I was looking for something along the lines of rifle weights for bench shooting, shoot I wish I had the link but in my minds eye I know for a fact I saw weights that can be attached to pic rails or on mlok-pic rails.
*Edit: Grey Ops cnc

Id assume by having extra weight along the rail thats going to soak up whatever extra recoil there may be.

A muzzle brake can mitigate a lot of recoil. I have an AR10. To me it shoots only a little harder than a 5.56. I usually shoot that one alone. Not sure how loud.

The right scope can add ~3lbs.

Then you have things like this:

How heavy do you want it? I have a precision ar15 build with a 20 inch bull barrel and scoped up it weighs 12lbs or so. I can easily see going N. of 15 with an Ar10 build without trying too hard.

The suppressor will be attached to a brake, looking at the JMac customs 4 port. Ideally I'd like this to be "unreasonably" heavy, 15lbs would be great. A steel lower won't happen. Already have the aluminum ones.

I don't think you will have any problem hitting the 16# range with a honkin scope and 24" heavy barrel. I just received a jmac customs key mod 2 port brake for a 458 socom pistol build to be able to easily attach suppressor. Pricey but quality looks great.

I fired my Baeowulf .50 AR, without a muzzle break and it was BRUTAL.
I installed a commercially available muzzle break and the difference was Night and Day.
My advice would be to do some online research for the best brake you can find!

I fired my Baeowulf .50 AR, without a muzzle break and it was BRUTAL.
I installed a commercially available muzzle break and the difference was Night and Day.
My advice would be to do some online research for the best brake you can find!
Right. The brake is a given and it's going to be keymo compatible. I still want a heavy pig of a rifle regardless.

There's a competition version of the Geissele rail which takes weights.

You can almost certainly find a heavier barrel than a BA, like something with a .936 gas block.

There's a competition version of the Geissele rail which takes weights.

You can almost certainly find a heavier barrel than a BA, like something with a .936 gas block.
The 24" BA barrel already has a .936 block

The 6.5 produces about 250 foot lbs less energy at the muzzle than .308 so a nice muzzle break in a heavy barrel should do the trick.

If all else fails, hang an old 1903 Springfield bayonet off the end, it'll add weight and look cool all at the same time!

@TTSX have you considered going with a ballistic cousin that has reduced recoil? For what your looking to do, I would strongly look into a 6gt or 6creed with their reduced recoil. Both will hammer steel equally well or better out past 1000 yards just like the 6.5 creedmoor. I am guessing you already have a 6.5 creedmoor and are looking to keep cartridge creep to a minimum.

As for getting more weight into an AR, check out National Match service rifle builds. They make kits to stash weights all over an AR platform rifle to get national match AR's up around 16 - 17 lbs with open sights.

F class competition rifles can weigh up to 22 pounds or so. Check with those folks to see what they do to get the weight where it gives the best advantage.

@TTSX have you considered going with a ballistic cousin that has reduced recoil? For what your looking to do, I would strongly look into a 6gt or 6creed with their reduced recoil. Both will hammer steel equally well or better out past 1000 yards just like the 6.5 creedmoor. I am guessing you already have a 6.5 creedmoor and are looking to keep cartridge creep to a minimum.

As for getting more weight into an AR, check out National Match service rifle builds. They make kits to stash weights all over an AR platform rifle to get national match AR's up around 16 - 17 lbs with open sights.
Correct. I already own a 6.5 and would like to avoid new chamberings in general, however I'll look at your suggestions.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top