JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
don't you just love when your thread is poo-pooed for someone else's better ideas?

Anyway, I have an idea for ya.. Get one of those grips with the battery storage compartments and cut some steel round stock to fit, or epoxy lead shot into the inside of your regular A2 grip. you'd have to stick an evil plastic straw (assault straw) into the screw hole to make a channel for it, or grease a super long bolt. I think the easier off the shelf is the bar stock in the battery storage tray. hope this helps.
I have a brand new Taiwanese A2 stock laying in my parts pin. If you want, i could fill that with epoxy and fishing weights for ya.
Not bad ideas. Adds weight without making it any bigger.

I have two dedicated ar15's that have 24" bull barrels, solid round hand guards, large scopes, and three pounds of lead in the A2 stocks compartment. Each full gun weighs 16 pounds.

These are purely bench guns for shooting prairie dogs. I have bag riders on them as well. They recoil straight back and make follow up shots a breeze. I'm am only shooting 20 Practical in the 26-40 grain weights though so not much recoil to speak of.

I decided to cast my own.....I made a plaster of paris cast if the cavity, made a plaster of paris mold of that, then poured lead into the mold.....
Did you know, plaster of paris is made with Water...that was exciting!
Tried again, this time totally drying out the mold....know what dry plaster of paris is?
Powder.
Ultimately got two pieces from a concrete mold.

Joe

It seems kind of silly to me so I would find ways to add weight on the cheap that were removable when I didn't want them anymore or when I wanted to use the part for a different build. Magpul storage stock could be filled with lead shot or fishing weights or pieces from a Fishing pencil lead role. You could try and get a good deal on three or four forward vertical grips and epoxy them full of lead and add them to the Handrail behind a bipod. You could modify a brass catcher so it was a quick ad on weight.

I decided to cast my own.....I made a plaster of paris cast if the cavity, made a plaster of paris mold of that, then poured lead into the mold.....
Did you know, plaster of paris is made with Water...that was exciting!
Tried again, this time totally drying out the mold....know what dry plaster of paris is?
Powder.
Ultimately got two pieces from a concrete mold.

Joe
need a fypsum binder and to not let it cool off after drying it. heat it, dry it, cast immediately, put it into the oven and turn it off so it cools slowly.
Mind you this is my process for casting other alloys with actual casting investment plaster, but i've used regular plaster for acrylics (used to do denture work) and still had to retrun to heat and cool it slowly in the same hot water used for the plastics' curing.

Yeah, pouring lead into anything the least bit moist is bound to summon the tinsel fairy!

Joe
I've gotten lucky more than once. First time was my fault, second time I was teaching someone who apparently did not pay attention to that part of the class. My old house still has a few lead spots on the ceiling and garage door.

Anybody noticed a need to change the gassing, or buffer/spring, in a heavy AR due to the weight not allowing any recoil movement?

Joe
Never but you got my gears turning. Ok, it's a squeaky hamster wheel.. do you feel the need to turn it up or turn it down? I would guess turn down due to not having to overcome the limp wrist phenomenon

Never but you got my gears turning. Ok, it's a squeaky hamster wheel.. do you feel the need to turn it up or turn it down? I would guess turn down due to not having to overcome the limp wrist phenomenon
Just seems like there is no shifting back and forth that may normally cushion the bcg snapping back and forth...

Joe

Just seems like there is no shifting back and forth that may normally cushion the bcg snapping back and forth...

Joe
I wouldn't consider this a factor outside of blowback and recoil operated designs. In the AR, the pressure is routed through the gas key where it pushes the bolt and bolt carrier away from each other inside. This is where people make the mistake of thinking it's direct impingement and that the force is applied onto the key (ok maybe a little bit.)

light rifles are overgassed for reliability.. a part of that being if the rifle isn't tightly held it could add too much slack to the bolt motion and short stroke the action. I agree with ya that this fella probably will want to tune the gas after adding weight, and probably was going to for his special application anyway. This is a cool project and application to stumble on.

I wouldn't consider this a factor outside of blowback and recoil operated designs. In the AR, the pressure is routed through the gas key where it pushes the bolt and bolt carrier away from each other inside. This is where people make the mistake of thinking it's direct impingement and that the force is applied onto the key (ok maybe a little bit.)

light rifles are overgassed for reliability.. a part of that being if the rifle isn't tightly held it could add too much slack to the bolt motion and short stroke the action. I agree with ya that this fella probably will want to tune the gas after adding weight, and probably was going to for his special application anyway. This is a cool project and application to stumble on.
Could be as simple a matter as changing the buffer weight. I've gotten away with that so far, mostly on guns with odd barrel lengths. Haven't had to adjust the gas on any of them yet.

Could be as simple a matter as changing the buffer weight. I've gotten away with that so far, mostly on guns with odd barrel lengths. Haven't had to adjust the gas on any of them yet.
That's my go to, but at the same time I got rid of everything but my 732ish build during the COVID buying panic.. no more adjustable anything and all my fence sitting friends on guns are in the fold

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top