JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Last year our in-laws brought their generator over when the power was down for a week and half with 2 feet of snow here in Vernonia. That won't happen again this year.
Anyone have any ideas to heating a room with no fireplace or generator running?

Last year our in-laws brought their generator over when the power was down for a week and half with 2 feet of snow here in Vernonia. That won't happen again this year.
Anyone have any ideas to heating a room with no fireplace or generator running?

Baked beans or chile good ole natural gas

or as Hank Hill would say Propain and propain accessories

what else solar take a lot of expense to set up enough to heat a house

no fire place how about a wood stove good enough in case of emergency all gather around the wood stove

good insulation

Like others, I vote propane heater. They can heat a good chunk of a house.

Also don't do the above. Starting a fire in an enclosed area sucks...yes I was young and dumb ONCE or maybe twice. :s0131: For the record nothing burnt down as it was an proper maintained fire.

As an ex-volunteer fireman, and as a son of a professional fireman who carried out many dead carbon monoxide victims, let me chime in and shout: ANY INDOOR COMBUSTION HAS TO HAVE A CHIMNEY TO LET THE POISON GAS OUT!

Any flame, whether catalytic or open fire, creates poisonous gas whether there is smoke or not. There has to be a chimney to let hot "burned" gases rise up out of the house. If not, the poison gas cools and recirculates down into the room. Carbon monoxide is the killer: colorless, odorless, and heavier than air---it settles and pools up from the floor level. It binds with the blood to prevent oxygen absorbtion, and builds up rapidly over time in a cumulative progression. Victims get a headache and get sleepy and stupid, and relatively quickly pass out and DIE in their beds or chairs. Lucky survivors noted that their pets died first since they were on the floor, and escaped.

If you want some kind of indoor emergency heater, also get a bunch of cheap aluminum dryer ducting and sheet flashing to create a covering chimney to exit the house through an upper window or hole high in the wall. Better yet, create a second duct to feed fresh outdoor air to the heater so that cold air is not sucked into the house somewhere else. Never close off the chimney until the fire is dead cold, because it is still producing carbon monoxide if there is any burning still happening.

Read the newspapers: every cold spell there are many deaths and near-deaths from indoor burning without chimneys, or from idiots running generators inside their attached garage.......................elsullo

you the Mr. Buddy rated for indoor and outdoor use. Fishermans has the big buddy on sale for $119 and they work awesome.

I have one of those in my garage in the winter and it is great. I got the optional power adapter to run the fan all the time and the hose to run it off of my big propane tank. Keeps a two car garage warm enough to work in shorts while it is snowing outside.:s0155:

I have 3 Mr. Buddies - shop, boat, and garage and they are worth their weight in gold. Like the other poster said buy the kit to use the large tank instead of the little bottles and keep warm all winter. But for emergency use you cannot beat it other than a wood stove. Plus I have noticed if someone waits till late November Fishermans often sells the Big Budy for $99. Great deal but that Joes is gone now I don't know if they will do that and that is why in general I think their prices have risen.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads