Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Heat treating a trunnion?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by KidJavelin, Jun 16, 2013.

1. KidJavelin

KidJavelin Puget Sound Member

I'm kicking around the idea of a home build using AR parts. The barrel/extension assembly will be standard fanfare, but I was thinking about pressing/pinning it into a 4140 trunnion, which in turn gets welded into a section of 4140 box tube.

The question I have is that since I am planning on using the AR barrel extension, do I really need to have the trunnion heat treated? I imagine, just for safety sake the answer would be yes, but I thought I'd float the question.

Oh, and does anyone know where I can get the steel parts heat treated at? Is it something I could do at home since they are fairly small parts?

2. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

4140 spec sheet

4140 Alloy Steel Data Sheet

your nor going to get it very hard at all RC54 is less then a crappy Pakistani pocket knife would be heat treated to.

3. KidJavelin

I thought that's what most builders use. Am I mistaken?

4. Diamondback

Diamondback A cold, wet green Hell Well-Known Member

IIRC ordnance-grade carbon-steel is usually 4340.

But I'm not a metallurgist and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. LOL

5. eganx

eganx Kingston WA Active Member

If you use 4140 and have a proper heat treat you'll be fine. RC50 is adequate. Were not talking tool steel here.....although I have seen some milled chinese AK's harder than a honey-moon pecker

If you heat treat post machining you will get some dimensional distortion

6. KidJavelin

Thanks Eganx. I did a bunch of checking and a Rockwell C hardness of 54 is more than adequate for edged weapons, so I would think a trunnion with a similar hardness would be fine. I understand there will be some distortion after treating, but I'm thinking it's essentially just going to be a block of chromoly (I think that's what 4140 is normally referred to by other folks) with a hole that the extension gets pinned into, so it shouldn't pose too much of a problem.

Oh Diamondback, 8620 steel is used in M1/M14 receivers because they are cast. It offers excellent pouring characteristics, is easily machined, and can be hardened to meet military durability needs. Just thought I'd let you know I found info on that as well, and I know nothing about a Holiday Inn.

Eganx, I see you're in Kingston. I'm south of you in Port Orchard, do you know where I could get the heat treat done locally?

7. eganx

eganx Kingston WA Active Member

If you get with me.....I can get it heat treated for you....