JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When the VA tested my hearing for the first time decades later, they told me, "Your hearing is such that you are in danger when out and about."
I should add that these days, I'm mostly around my own place and not in much danger of anything external. Honestly, I wear the hearing aids more for Mrs. Merkt than myself. Were I to become widowed, I probably wouldn't wear them around home. Being hard of hearing places some burden on those around you, what with asking for repeats and so on.

I should add that these days, I'm mostly around my own place and not in much danger of anything external. Honestly, I wear the hearing aids more for Mrs. Merkt than myself. Were I to become widowed, I probably wouldn't wear them around home. Being hard of hearing places some burden on those around you, what with asking for repeats and so on.
Indeed it is, both my parents had minears disease which my Drs think I inherited. My immediate family all have a hard time communicating with me due to the hearing fluctuations.

Thank you everyone!. It sounds like I am not alone in this hearing loss issue. at age 46 now, I am not going to even mess with more loss. I ordered electronic/shooting muffs last night. I am not sure how many here are LEO, but how do cops go through discharges while on duty and not suffer ruptured ear drums?. It is not like they have time to put on "ears" when they are in a life or death situation. ?.
Yup. Exactly.

BUT, But, but....anyway....once you retire from the PD it's not like you'll get any form of tax free disability pay from the State, City or County. You're on your own with hearing loss.

Well, that is.......in my experience. And truthfully, I suspect that just getting old has more to do with it.

Aloha, Mark

Agreed it makes communication difficult especially now that all the health care workers all wear masks and refuse to take them down so I can read their lips and facial movements to comprehend what they're saying.
Today when I was at a clinic giving blood the nice lady unmasked for me, I told her I sincerely appreciate her thoughtfulness.
I had a similar issue while under-going vision testing for new spectacles... the lady Dr dropped her mask to reveal one of the most beautiful, smiling Hispanic faces I had ever seen.. I will remember that til my dying day...

both my parents had minears disease
Miniere's Disease, I've got that as well. With the vertigo, spinning sensation, loss of balance and the whole bit. Fortunately it is intermittent. That I've also had since my 20's, another thing undiagnosed for decades. During all those years, I just thought it was a normal thing that happened from time to time.

Re. that wobbling thing to your vision the sometimes comes with Miniere's Disease, where everything rapidly shifts up and down in your vision. I'd get that for five or ten minutes at a time. Once again, my mental equipment had just accepted that as something that was. I had no idea that your eyeballs are shifting when this happens; people who looked at my eyes when this was occurring must've thought I was some weird bird.

Thanks all, I appreciate all of the insight and info on this. My ear is healing. That being said, all of you mentioning the electronic/noise cancelling ear protection were spot on. I got some in the $40-50 range, and they are exactly what I needed to begin with. Wearing them around the house to try on, I can actually hear my better than before. :)

Miniere's Disease, I've got that as well. With the vertigo, spinning sensation, loss of balance and the whole bit. Fortunately it is intermittent. That I've also had since my 20's, another thing undiagnosed for decades. During all those years, I just thought it was a normal thing that happened from time to time.

Re. that wobbling thing to your vision the sometimes comes with Miniere's Disease, where everything rapidly shifts up and down in your vision. I'd get that for five or ten minutes at a time. Once again, my mental equipment had just accepted that as something that was. I had no idea that your eyeballs are shifting when this happens; people who looked at my eyes when this was occurring must've thought I was some weird bird.
Yep, been there done that bought the t-shirt, started at 39 year old. Some may wonder why I don't show up to functions I sign up for... This is why. I was really looking forward to being at @SgtNambus get together (before he passed) and the dreaded swirly whirlys found me. I felt miserable that I didn't make it, I still do. :s0054:

I used to lay my head between my six-foot tall 1,000-watt stereo speakers all the time, no problem.
Then I started shooting my 44 Magnum without hearing protection. I have hearing problems.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top