JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New member here, long time shooter though. Years of Dirt bikes, jetskis and shooting has taken a toll on hearing. I wear hearing protection, but curious if any of you have had further hearing loss while still wearing plugs/muffs etc. Tips, tricks appreciated. Anyone else ever had a ruptured ear drum from shooting?.
Cheers!.

Try the electronic ear muffs, they amplify lower levels while cutting out noise above a certain db.

You can add plugs if you're shooting something obnoxious.

Never burst an ear drum but between stupid stereos and guns I have much better hearing in my left ear then my right.

If I knew it was cumulative I MAY have done something different but when I started shooting at 4 I was never given ear protection and didn't use it for a very long time after that.

I don't shoot indoors and just the foam plugs sunk deep work for me. They work well enough I cannot hear someone speaking next to me. I have hearing loss and wear hearing aides in both ears. For me any open ear concussive blast really takes a toll. ( that is what took out my ears)

I would double up foam and over the ear if you need it as said here before me.

I have severe tinnitus, but it gets even better (resigned sarcasm)… each side has its own distinct pitch/sound from the other. The left-side is louder with a higher pitch (and also the greatest hearing loss) than the right-side.

The only way I can describe the noise I hear on the left-side is akin to the high-pitched squeal you could just barely hear from the old school TV's (pre solid-state) that used vacuum tubes before they warmed up (but obnoxiously loud in my ear), and on the right-side is like the tonal sound cicadas make (but without the "rattlesnake" sound-effect) combined with that high-pitched sound described on the left-side and lower in perceived volume.

It's like hearing two different sounds coming from around two different corners behind me. I've learned to adapt to it, but it does come in handy for only hearing what I want to hear though!

;)

I have severe tinnitus, but it gets even better (resigned sarcasm)… each side has its own distinct pitch/sound from the other. The left-side is louder with a higher pitch (and also the greatest hearing loss) than the right-side.

The only way I can describe the noise I hear on the left-side is akin to the high-pitched squeal you could just barely hear from the old school TV's (pre solid-state) that used vacuum tubes before they warmed up (but obnoxiously loud in my ear), and on the right-side is like the tonal sound cicadas make (but without the "rattlesnake" sound-effect) combined with that high-pitched sound described on the left-side and lower in perceived volume.

It's like hearing two different sounds coming from around two different corners behind me. I've learned to adapt to it, but it does come in handy for only hearing what I want to hear though!

;)
I "hear" your pain. It's wonderful. Haha.

You will get tinnitus, faint high pitched ringing, more and more over time if you don't protect the ears.

Get the best electronic earmuffs you are comfortable spending money on, and simultaneously use normal plugs (like others recommended) when shooting the noisy stuff.

I highly suggest avoid walking flight lines while jets take off without ear protection or doing prolonged strings of fire with a 240B with tissue paper shoved in your ear cause you forgot your ear pro. Haha. It doesn't quite cut it.

I have amplified gun muffers and when I shoot outside I only wear gun muffers. If I shoot at an indoor range then I put ear plugs in and then I also put on my gun mufflers. I have never ruptured my eardrum while shooting or anyther time. I wear hearing protecting while using a weed whacker, lawn mower. chainsaw, and also while using a pressure washer.

I can go for days without noticing it, and now of course both ears are ringing like a bell.

;)
Both ears are about the same pitch for me. Pretty close to the tinnitus sound on Archer, but a little sharper and higher pitched.

I highly suggest avoid walking flight lines while jets take off without ear protection or doing prolonged strings of fire with a 240B with tissue paper shoved in your ear cause you forgot your ear pro. Haha. It doesn't quite cut it.

Bare minimum was always a couple 9mm empties

Haha. Tried that too. Or 5.56 casings making you look like a mini shrek.

HA!! Try sustained M60 fire and using live 45ACP rounds (FMJ ends in first) for ear-pro!

:s0164:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads