JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey I just got a new free gun! It work ed out good cause I bought and sold a cheap honda car plus got a gun in trade for it. No...its not stolen, I checked. Annahow its a Kel-tec P40. I havent shot it yet, seems to be in good shape but looks like its recoil could be nasty. Gimme your thoughts or experience with this firearm if you have any please. Its not a pretty gun, but free is always a good thing!

heres a pic: Kel-Tec P40 40cal "GREAT SHOOTER Great Condition" : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

I haven't shot one myself, but honestly from shooting my Kel-Tec PF9, which is about the same size, just thinner (I think the p40 is the same size as the p11), but in 9mm, it kicks like a mule. I can only imagine how the kick will be with the same gun chambered in .40. Good luck with it. Should be a nice easily concealable piece, just make sure you have a good grip before firing it or it'll bite ya!

I still have a scab on the very back knuckle of my right hand after shooting 150 rounds through it last weekend. It beat the crap out of it. So light and small but so much power. It's hard to control so occasionally it will remind you to show it who's boss.

I'd go with a lighter load, I practice with and carry 115gr in my 9mm. The FMJs have a lot more of a kick than the JHPs. If they were more affordable, just from a recoil standpoint I would only shoot JHPs out of it.

Some years back when the P11 was new, KelTec offered a P-40 conversion for it, and some guys around here got it for theirs. I didn't. Then they offered it for sale as a new gun. I tried one that a friend got and it didn't kick much more than my P-11, which is a sweet weapon. Then, you could get a .357 sig barrel for the P-40. I've never seen one.
Some shooters can't seem to hang onto it and have ejection problems. That may be why it was discontinued. They shouldn't be shooting anything smaller than a shotgun. :s0114:
You shouldn't be afraid of a P-40. It really is a pussy cat because of the way the KelTec is designed. Use a reasonable ammo and you will love it. :s0155:

I have one. I love it. It is my daily carry. I got it for $200 this past winter. I have a hogue grip on it and it helps a lot. Makes it really really comfortable. I also have the side belt clip installed on it, so no need for an IWB holster. Its perfect. One of my mags holds 9 the other 11 a I have the finger and mag extension installed. I can't recommend enough to get the finger extension and hogue grip. As for recoil, use 2 hands. My friend is a really good shot in 1 handed pistol shooting, but one shot from this had his wrist hurting for a few days. So keep a firm grip. I have never experienced a jam, a ftf, or fte with it. I am going to purchase some night sights for it soon though. Kel-Tec makes a good product for a good price. I also have their SUB2K in .40S&W Glock 22 mag configuration. Folds up and fits in my laptop bag perfectly!!! Both firearms are very reliable. Very pleased with keltec.

I have one and like it a lot. It's nice and small and shoots good for me. The trigger isn't great but I've gotten used to it.

If you don't like it then PM me and I'll take it off your hands. ;)

dont get me wrong...i do like it so far. concealable, larger caliber and higher capacity makes it a great ccw i had just never heard/shot one before and needed to know if i could depend on it in a situation. I've got rather large hands and this thing shouldnt be a problem at all.

I have one; like it very much! I don't get all this complaining about the recoil. It's a 40! And one of the lightest, smallest you can find! Yes, it's got a little kick - but it's really not that bad! Mine is the hardchrome model, and I find I'm carrying it more often than my Kahr PM40 - because it's as light but holds 10 rounds! Currently carrying Hornady CD in it... A very nice weapon, but you DO have to hold it firmly. :cool:

I have one now, complete with the .357 SIG barrel, They do kick and were taken out of production due to too many returns. Owners didn't hold them tight enough and got misfires, I don't.
I also had one that was a P-11, then I bought the P-40 conversion as well as the .357 SIG barrel. Sold the 9mm top end, then sold the whole unit with the .357 SIG barrel so I only have the one left now.

All my KelTec's have been bought new except the SU-16C. I carry a P-3AT in my bathrobe pocket, if I ever need it I hope it's enough to let me get to something bigger.

Just a suggestion. The Uncle Mikes shooting glove sure makes practice with the PF9 and other larger caliber carry pistols much more enjoyable. I use mine when at the range shooting the lightweight carry guns that can make you sore if you shoot over a few mags at a time.

I had one for a while, it was one of only two .40 cals that I actually liked and enjoyed shooting (which is weird, given how small it was).

I got mine for $50 from a buddy (we'd been doing some horse trading in firearms and firearms accessories, and I offered him $50 because he kept talking about how he hated shooting it. He jumped on the $50). He threw in two boxes of Blazer 180 grainers to go with it also.

I shot 50 rounds or so through it, carried it for a while as a backup gun, and wound up trading it, plus a full size XD 9mm straight across for a Glock 19 at a gun shop. Wish I still had that one. The key to shooting it was not to limp wrist. Cool, cheap little gun with a lot of wollop.

I have a couple of them and the .357 Sig barrel. It is usually my daily carry gun. I carry 165 grain ammo in it. I used to shoot IDPA with it as well. It's a little stout on recoil but it's what you should expect for a lightweight 40 cal! I use the Hogue handall on it, and I also rounded the corners of the "beavertail" area of the grip, which made it MUCH more comfortable to shoot.

I may have inadvertently played a role in the P40's demise. I used to visit Kel-Tec periodically, and the gunsmith saved up a stack of returned P40's that everyone claimed would have failures. He had me put a couple of magazines through each one, and there were zero failures. He said his boss was asking if he just had some unusual abilities to shoot them without malfunction, so I proved that it wasn't just that one gunsmith able to shoot them.

I have a couple of them and the .357 Sig barrel. It is usually my daily carry gun. I carry 165 grain ammo in it. I used to shoot IDPA with it as well. It's a little stout on recoil but it's what you should expect for a lightweight 40 cal! I use the Hogue handall on it, and I also rounded the corners of the "beavertail" area of the grip, which made it MUCH more comfortable to shoot.

I may have inadvertently played a role in the P40's demise. I used to visit Kel-Tec periodically, and the gunsmith saved up a stack of returned P40's that everyone claimed would have failures. He had me put a couple of magazines through each one, and there were zero failures. He said his boss was asking if he just had some unusual abilities to shoot them without malfunction, so I proved that it wasn't just that one gunsmith able to shoot them.

Maybe we should meet up and shoot our P-40's..357 SIGS. When I take mine to the range there is usually someone there that asks about it due to the loud BANG it produces no matter which barrel is in it.
Yep, I knew that the return rate of perfectly good P-40's was what caused it's demise. The KTOG has a bunch of wise KT owners.

I owned a P40 for a while - it was one of only 2 .40 cal guns I actually liked and enjoyed shooting. I got mine cheap from a friend who 1.) hated .40's in general and 2.) complained of it being too nasty recoil-wise.

I had zero malfunctions in that gun - though I only put about 150 rounds downrange in the couple months I owned it. I used that gun, plus another to trade straight across for a a different gun I wanted.

I would probably buy one again if I could find one for under $200.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top