Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Health care and guns

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Shadow, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Shadow

Shadow Conyers, Georgia, United States Member

I don't want to create a discussion on the merits of the health care bill about to be voted on in congress, but I was thinking this morning about the alleged provision in the bill that states all must have health care or pay a fine, or go to jail if the fine isn't paid.

My question is if I go to jail for not paying the fine, which I guess would be a federal crime, would I lose my right to carry firearms?

2. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

Under the Constitution no but this government doesn't follow our laws any more so your guess will be as good as the next.

jj

3. unionguy

unionguy Portland Active Member

It would depend if its been defined as a felony or not.

4. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

oh please... not paying money the government dictates we pay not being a felony? Riiiiiiigggggggghhhhhhttt...............

5. bugeye

bugeye Oregon Well-Known Member

If the bill passes, the penalty for not having health care insurance is taxes, and these taxes start out at a fairly low level. However, in some cases tax cheats have managed to gain felon status.

6. Reco

Reco Portland Oregon Active Member

Well the whole idea that being forced to pay for health insurance is Un American and most likely Unconstitutional . I see potential for civil unrest and real problems for our country if this become a law.

7. Sasquatchvnv

Sasquatchvnv Port Orchard Active Member

You can count on it becoming law. As I watch the criminal, traitorous, sub-humans that pass for congress critters, senators, executives, and judiciary - I vacillate between outrage and disgust. It appears that to them, we are nothing more than a herd of animals to be managed as they see fit. I don't know where this ends, but I can't imagine that it will be a happy place.

8. Stomper

+1

9. Shadow

Shadow Conyers, Georgia, United States Member

I'm curious because I was determined not to comply with this legislation and face possible jail time. However, if, on the other end, I lose my right to carry or possess then it might be better to bend over and pay the fine or get the insurance, for I sense the ability to protect myself and my family might be paramount in the near future.

10. el gringo loco

el gringo loco PDX Member

The fine will likely show up as a line item on your income tax return. The fine will be around a hundred bucks for most people. For most people, that means their refund check will be $100 less. Those that still owe the IRS at the end of the year, you will be subject to the same penalties you would be if you owed that amount of taxes for any other reason.

11. el gringo loco

As far as protesting this, you realize that to incur this fine, you have to have no health insurance AND meet a certain income threshold, right? I think the number of people that fall into this category and will arrange to owe the IRS enough money come tax time, and get audited will be quite small.

12. Stomper

Oh... well then... if SOMEONE ELSE is going to foot the bill for the majority.... what the problem is? :rolleyes:

13. el gringo loco

Look, I realize that my opinions about healthcare reform will probably run counter to the opinions of most on this site. I am not about to get into a debate about the merits of this bill or any Democratic plan for anything else right now. I am not the biggest fan of this bill myself (for none of the same reasons that most conservatives have). And, I must admit, that I do not like the line item "fine" for not buying healthcare. That said, I was just pointing out that the bill is crafted such that it would make it difficult to refuse payment and unlikely that very many people who would find it worth their while to protest the fine.

14. PMKN_PI

PMKN_PI Milwaukie, Oregon, United States Active Member

I hope war breaks out in the near future and we can use our guns for what the 2nd amendment was meant for....fighting tyranny. Im licking my chops.

15. Taurus 617 CCW

Taurus 617 CCW Northern Idaho Member

My guess is that they are going to write a clause into the health care provision that asks if you own any firearms and if you answer yes then they will determine you as a high risk individual. Then you will be placed further down the list for care because you are not considered an easy fix should you become injured. With the way the health (mis)care is being set up it will be divied out by priority. Routine checkups and general care will be easy to obtain but major surgery and treatment for diseases will not. I smell fertilizer. :huh:

16. Reco

Reco Portland Oregon Active Member

$100 lol where did you get that number. They are talking about 1-2k fines for not signing up. They want us to all join the program and pay into it thats how it works. Do you seriously think they fine 100 dollars. so the 150 million people who decide "oh F**k this im not signing up pay the 100 dollars and go on there way...". Hmm equals out to what like 15 billion in fines, thats not going to pay for the 1-2 Trillion dollars they are planing on spending.

This is plain finnacial slavery.

17. svxr8dr

svxr8dr Vancouver, WA OathKeeper #004404

The 1st Amendment gives me "freedom of association", or in this case the freedom not to associate as in take part in this Unconstitutional bill. If Congress passes this garbage, then in my estimation massive civil disobiedance is required by willingly refusing to play along. This is statist slavery and I will not abide.

18. Stomper

They only got the income tax by because they got a Constitutional ammendment to MAKE it Constitutional...

19. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

Wait 'till the FDIC changes the rules for all banks and their "funds availability" policy. The Gov will have access to everyone's bank account(s) and will monitor them for the purpose of averaging income/asset levels.
    So you will head down to the bank to cash your paycheck and plan on taking 80% of it in cash, and deposit the 20%, thereby thwarting the Gov's ability to monitor you,...
    Until the nice teller tells you that due to the new "funds availability policy" that you will have to deposit the entire check, and that you can withdraw cash in 24 hours. For those that bank with Chase, you know what I am talking about.

Bye-Bye insurance premium!!

We'll discuss the ammo taxes that this bill will generate next.
    Stay tuned!!

20. powersbj

powersbj Seattle Area Active Member

Really? Can we move the discussion to a level above grade school? The battle is at the voting booth and contacting your rep. Id rather not see my country turn into Iraq or Afghanistan. It sucks when the majority of our population is turning into sheeple who dont seem to think about the consequences of their actions. But the system is not broken yet, lets hope people wake up and the revolution happens at the polls. As long as that is possible its the best option, for now you just have to live with being in the minority. Suck it up buttercup.

P.S. I have an IAM sticker on my truck you might want to be careful of whos car your keying.