JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Damn, sure does look like someone sliced it open with a knife. If that was done by one of there machines that would be one dangerous damn machine. :D
Seriously though I would not put much worry on it. The TON's of mail they handle every day? Unless its someone actually delivering to you it would be really hard for them to look for one persons stuff. That is weird how that damn thing is sliced clean across like that. Wonder if maybe it got wedged in something and an employee did that to free it? Odd that if they were going to steal they would do that and then not steal the stuff inside.
Or it was just an attempted theft and they didn't think it was something that they could bother trying to sell because they didn't know who would buy it.

At least they deliver it to the correct address. I have to exchange mail with at least one neighbor on my cul-de-sac or the two neighboring streets at least one a week. We have even joked about a weekly block party to get mail sorted out. I've nagged the local postmaster so many times about it I no longer get a response.

Last month I bought a hydraulic cylinder seal kit on Ebay. The seller sent it in one of those flat-rate boxes that start out flat and once you fold it, you pull off the tape on the sealing flap and press it on.

The package arrived with the seals (in a heat-sealed plastic bag) gone, but the paperwork still inside. The flap had come loose at the adhesive strip. The whole thing was inside a large plastic bag, along with a message from the postmaster in Portland that apologized for the damage and suggesting that I tell the shipper to file a lost package claim. I did, and they sent a replacement, but didn't follow my suggestion to use clear packing tape to prevent the lid from coming unsealed.

Two things I learned from this incident:

First, seal the package well. Assume that any adhesive will fail.

Second, apparently damaged packages are supposed to be inspected by the USPS, and secured (with the plastic bag, or other method) and documented. In this case, the damage was identified in Portland, not the two later facilities.

Since your package arrived without a note, and no security bag, it is more likely that the damage (or attempted theft) occurred at the delivery stage, past the sorting stages.

Last month I bought a hydraulic cylinder seal kit on Ebay. The seller sent it in one of those flat-rate boxes that start out flat and once you fold it, you pull off the tape on the sealing flap and press it on.

The package arrived with the seals (in a heat-sealed plastic bag) gone, but the paperwork still inside. The flap had come loose at the adhesive strip. The whole thing was inside a large plastic bag, along with a message from the postmaster in Portland that apologized for the damage and suggesting that I tell the shipper to file a lost package claim. I did, and they sent a replacement, but didn't follow my suggestion to use clear packing tape to prevent the lid from coming unsealed.

Two things I learned from this incident:

First, seal the package well. Assume that any adhesive will fail.

Second, apparently damaged packages are supposed to be inspected by the USPS, and secured (with the plastic bag, or other method) and documented. In this case, the damage was identified in Portland, not the two later facilities.

Since your package arrived without a note, and no security bag, it is more likely that the damage (or attempted theft) occurred at the delivery stage, past the sorting stages.
Which is exactly why I will report it on Monday...

At least they deliver it to the correct address. I have to exchange mail with at least one neighbor on my cul-de-sac or the two neighboring streets at least one a week. We have even joked about a weekly block party to get mail sorted out. I've nagged the local postmaster so many times about it I no longer get a response.
I bet you have a temp doing it. Wife and I lived in one place over 20 years. Same lady for about 15. Only time there was a problem was her day off or vacation. All of a sudden she was gone, probably retired. We started having to do the same thing. Exchange mail with each other and we would never see the same person for more than a couple weeks. Was told they were hiring temp workers who of course did not care. Some could not speak English so not sure how well they could read the addresses.

I bet you have a temp doing it. Wife and I lived in one place over 20 years. Same lady for about 15. Only time there was a problem was her day off or vacation. All of a sudden she was gone, probably retired. We started having to do the same thing. Exchange mail with each other and we would never see the same person for more than a couple weeks. Was told they were hiring temp workers who of course did not care. Some could not speak English so not sure how well they could read the addresses.
Sadly it's been quite frequent over the last few years, ever since out then normal delivery person left our route. It soes come and go, so perhaps you are correct. Still very frustrating as every time I report the repetitive issue it's "talk to the hand".

That's good but that would mean that potentially it was an employee that works for them and now that employee may know that I "might" have guns and give them a reason or someone else; to break into my home to get these perceived guns that I might have. I don't really give a bubblegum about the gun stuff, but if anyone tries to get into my house for that reason and puts my son at risk.... need I say more?
Ventilate accordingly.

My next door neighbors are schoolteachers and in the summer they are off camping a lot and occasionally they will text me and let me know a pkg was dropped over their fence and if I would go take it up to their porch.

I am surprised how often I have found the packages damaged or torn open with contents visible - and some of these were well sealed boxes. No gun related stuff however.

My next door neighbors are schoolteachers and in the summer they are off camping a lot and occasionally they will text me and let me know a pkg was dropped over their fence and if I would go take it up to their porch.

I am surprised how often I have found the packages damaged or torn open with contents visible - and some of these were well sealed boxes. No gun related stuff however.
No accountability for package handlers.

That's good but that would mean that potentially it was an employee that works for them and now that employee may know that I "might" have guns and give them a reason or someone else; to break into my home to get these perceived guns that I might have. I don't really give a bubblegum about the gun stuff, but if anyone tries to get into my house for that reason and puts my son at risk.... need I say more?
1. Targeted home invasions are extremely rare (excluding criminals targeting other criminals).

2. Concern over being targeted is reasonable, however, just be mindful of #1 above.

Layered security can help make your home less attractive to both targeted & random theft.

Random theft/breakin/attempts are far far more likely for the less secure home.

Per my postal carrier, a significant number of the package handling grunts at USPS are now temp employees.

It turns out that it was the postal employee, and that individual has been removed and is pending investigation for other thefts... nonetheless be vigilant, we all know about different carriers discriminating against anything and everything involving firearms....

No accountability for package handlers.
Sadly most Government jobs are like that. Before the public sector unions came along that was the "draw" to these jobs. Pay was not the "best" but you had real job security and most did not have to do real work. Then of course money as always. They started to unionize not because they needed the protection but because that union could pay law makers to give them more money on top of it being almost impossible to get fired.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top