JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had at least 2 choices of what to think, either one; it was an errant employee who arbitrarily cut open my package to see whether it's something they wanted to steal or it came from a business who sells firearm related items and USPS opened up for that reason alone. I contacted the company out of Kent Washington and they said that it was sealed when they shipped it to me. The item was still there (rear sight) and there's nothing wrong with it. So the question remains on the purpose of opening my package. This serves as a warning to anyone getting items shipped to them from known firearm and firearm related sellers that this might happen to you. Now I have to worry about whether someone knows what the item was and that I have firearms and thus making me a potential target for a break-in to my home.

Was it cleanly opened or was it more like resealed after damage? Because I've had more than one package that was beat up pretty badly with torn tape/cardboard which had been taped back over.

I have had plenty of firearms items arrive from USPS lately. None of them have been opened.
That's good but that would mean that potentially it was an employee that works for them and now that employee may know that I "might" have guns and give them a reason or someone else; to break into my home to get these perceived guns that I might have. I don't really give a bubblegum about the gun stuff, but if anyone tries to get into my house for that reason and puts my son at risk.... need I say more?

Was it cleanly opened or was it more like resealed after damage? Because I've had more than one package that was beat up pretty badly with torn tape/cardboard which had been taped back over.
It wasn't even resealed, it looked like someone took a sharp knife and sliced the top off and then just put the cut off portion back into package with the sight...

That's good but that would mean that potentially it was an employee that works for them and now that employee may know that I "might" have guns and give them a reason or someone else; to break into my home to get these perceived guns that I might have. I don't really give a bubblegum about the gun stuff, but if anyone tries to get into my house for that reason and puts my son at risk.... need I say more?
Considering the volume of gear you sell in the classifieds I am gonna guess that a lot of people - folks at UPS, Fedex, USPS, who have processed or delivered things for you - know that you have some gun stuff.

if no one has smashed in your front door yet… either that or you should be SUPER WORRIED. :eek:

I'm a little confused about the super worried thing, also I don't tell anybody what I'm shipping when I ship it so unless they open up the items after I ship it or they have suspicion to do so they don't know what I'm shipping. Plus I don't sell any items that are restricted that I cannot legally sell....

I had at least 2 choices of what to think, either one; it was an errant employee who arbitrarily cut open my package to see whether it's something they wanted to steal or it came from a business who sells firearm related items and USPS opened up for that reason alone. I contacted the company out of Kent Washington and they said that it was sealed when they shipped it to me. The item was still there (rear sight) and there's nothing wrong with it. So the question remains on the purpose of opening my package. This serves as a warning to anyone getting items shipped to them from known firearm and firearm related sellers that this might happen to you. Now I have to worry about whether someone knows what the item was and that I have firearms and thus making me a potential target for a break-in to my home.
Usps you have to watch them and complain immediately if they break into stuff. We had one mailman who opened every single envelope that looked like it may have a credit card in it (you know how junk mailers used to send fake cards to get ur attention). I complained and they red flagged him and he was fired not long after.

This is just my opinion. It's a pretty big leap from an opened package to fear of an imminent break-in. You've probably had other exposure that has made people aware you may have firearms. Stuff that hasn't been brought to your attention by a torn package. The fact that the torn package still contained the goods makes me think it wasn't intentional.

You contacted the sender, did you contact the Postal Inspection Service? They might be able to give you some insight into what happened to the package during processing. The USPS uses a lot of automated equipment to process mail these days, including packages of all sizes. The end of the box might've been cut on the sharp edge of a chute or whatever. Or they might like to know about what happened, if it was nefarious, so they might concentrate investigation in a certain area where other such claims have been made.

This is just my opinion. It's a pretty big leap from an opened package to fear of an imminent break-in. You've probably had other exposure that has made people aware you may have firearms. Stuff that hasn't been brought to your attention by a torn package. The fact that the torn package still contained the goods makes me think it wasn't intentional.

You contacted the sender, did you contact the Postal Inspection Service? They might be able to give you some insight into what happened to the package during processing. The USPS uses a lot of automated equipment to process mail these days, including packages of all sizes. The end of the box might've been cut on the sharp edge of a chute or whatever. Or they might like to know about what happened, if it was nefarious, so they might concentrate investigation in a certain area where other such claims have been made.
It was one of those Amazon bubble wrap packages, and it was cut cleanly which tells me a knife was used but not so clean that a pair of scissors was used, if it had torn there would've been much more damage.

It was one of those Amazon bubble wrap packages, and it was cut cleanly which tells me a knife was used but not so clean that a pair of scissors was used, if it had torn there would've been much more damage.
I think if you feel strongly about it, you should report it to the Postal Inspection Service. That may or may not be of help in throttling potential theft within the USPS. If you don't, there is 100% chance of nothing being done.

This looks like a knife was taken to it, not a pair of scissors and not a tear...

F2C05FD0-2A94-474C-8528-C66E2AD551AD.jpeg 9C804733-C3D8-4A84-91A7-33F49F3D324C.jpeg

I'm a little confused about the super worried thing, also I don't tell anybody what I'm shipping when I ship it so unless they open up the items after I ship it or they have suspicion to do so they don't know what I'm shipping. Plus I don't sell any items that are restricted that I cannot legally sell....
Well
Having certain words in your company name, even in the return address is a clue to what COULD be in the package and alert would be thieves.

I bought a black powder gun kit from Texas and lived in VT.
Package arrived and had been opened and retaped.
The kicker was the newspaper packing in that box was a VT newspaper! :eek:
The company that shipped that kit had, as I recall, the word firearms in their name/return address!
So, there's that,
jmo,
Edit: to be fair what I described here happened with UPS, not the USPS.

Last Edited:
All that stuff you are shipping to other people - was it not shipped to you in the first place? Right. So all those packages marked wth names like Primary Arms and MidwayUSA that were delivered to you...

Who knows you have gun stuff in your home?

Norman-leon-35112904-248-140.gif

I would let the post office know. The carrier or whoever is doing it will do a lot of damage if no one says anything.

Re knowing u have guns I wouldn't sweat it. I think these guys are opportunists looking for certain things they can resell or ? I don't think it's part of a larger plot for breakins. I don't know of course, but opportunistic stealing is much more logical. We even have homeless here who go through garbage to find receipts for stuff they stole so they can take it to the store for a refund (and no this isn't a joke unfortunately -smh).

Well I guess it's partially because I'm shielded in the area I live and I don't usually have to deal with this stuff but like I said before if someone threatens the life of my child because they want some stupid piece of wood or metal....
I'm sure most of you understand what I'm trying to say without me having to say it and most of you probably feel the same way....

This looks like a knife was taken to it, not a pair of scissors and not a tear...
I agree, that is a pretty clean cut and probably likely not done by machine damage. I'll offer one more possibility. The item was mis-delivered to one of your neighbors, they opened it without looking at the address, then discovered that it wasn't theirs. They put it back out for the mailman to redeliver. Without sealing it. The postal service is supposed to reseal packages that come open in transit, for whatever reason. Probably doesn't always happen, especially these days when they are short handed.

Lately, we had a neighbor bring a box of textbooks addressed to my granddaughter over. It was open. The neighbor said her snoopy daugher couldn't help herself.

I had an Atlas BT10 bipod delivered from Amazon in a package just like that one… sliced open, no bipod, and picture of same cut envelope on doorstep sent email by amazon delivery receipt. No doubt they had some employees with splainin to do. Got my refund no questions asked.
I know of someone who got postal inspected with similar cuts, item remained, but note left inside… "inspected".
These days nothing is sacred or safe.

View attachment 1285493 View attachment 1285495
Damn, sure does look like someone sliced it open with a knife. If that was done by one of there machines that would be one dangerous damn machine. :D
Seriously though I would not put much worry on it. The TON's of mail they handle every day? Unless its someone actually delivering to you it would be really hard for them to look for one persons stuff. That is weird how that damn thing is sliced clean across like that. Wonder if maybe it got wedged in something and an employee did that to free it? Odd that if they were going to steal they would do that and then not steal the stuff inside.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top