JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tigard Pawn has a new policy that if you do not call on the phone (not email) and let them know you have a firearm coming their way for transfer, the transfer will be $75 instead of $25. This applies to firearms being sent to them from another FFL. This does not apply to walk in private party transfers.

They are giving customers a mulligan for first failure to notify them. The policy was evidently started a couple of months ago but the announcement has not been listed on their website, nor has it been posted in the store as of this morning. When you call to let them know you have a transfer coming their way they will fill out a sheet with gun type and where it's coming from.

Their phone number is 503-624-7800.
Add that to the fact that for person to person transfer they charge you to photocopy ur drivers license (I think it was $2) plus they charge you for a lock to take a pistol out of the store. I've never seen anywhere else have these hidden fees but maybe they don't do that anymore as that was a couple years ago.

They advertise having lowest $ transfers but after all the hidden gotchas it costs as much as other places or more in my case after the drivers license and lock fees.

Any business that would pull that sh!t isn't gettin any business from me! Went in there years ago, and they were pretty bad then, and super proud of their over priced stuff! Found a salmon I wanted, was the old G.I. Joes brand, they wanted more for it used, then it was new at Joes at the time! I told them what it sold for and they said it was "Collectable" and I just laughed and walked out, ne'er to return again! Found two of them a week later for less then the one they were trying to sell, bought them up and been using um since then!

Their FFL, their rules.
They are probably tired of firearms being delivered with zero customer info. It's annoying, for sure.

Then they have to call the FFL on the other end and say hey, who's this gun for?
Time is money, and a simple phone call could have prevented a 1/2 hour of phone tag.

I asked them about the hand holding fingerprint procedure and the answer was some people deliberately smudge their prints on purpose.
As far as calling in who and what is coming their way, I know they won't accept a shipment from a private party, only from an FFL.
The answer to that question when I asked, was that they had to many loaded firearms showing up in the packages.

Simple solution: go somewhere else

Just an opinion, my prints are in so many places and so many databases, it's just a meaningless thing to me anymore. Especially since I became an NFA item owner, they already know who I am

I asked them about the hand holding fingerprint procedure and the answer was some people deliberately smudge their prints on purpose.
As far as calling in who and what is coming their way, I know they won't accept a shipment from a private party, only from an FFL.
The answer to that question when I asked, was that they had to many loaded firearms showing up in the packages.
Actually I received stuff from a private party thru them. I used their services a few times and never had an issue. As long as they know who sends it and for who it is, you will be ok. You should always make a call to the FFL, regardless which FFL you're using just to make sure the policies have not changed and they are not closing their business within a week. Just saying.

I'd recommend anyone steer clear of Tigard Pawn in general. The owner is ignorant of firearm laws and when I tried to do a private party transfer with another member on here, he refused and became very hostile. We ended up going to another FFL and had no problem. Needless to say, we were both shocked by his unprofessional behavior.
That's unfortunate.

Had done many transfers there when we used to live up North.

Inexpensive & pretty efficient, even when they were busy.

Yes, there rules are a bit odd regarding copy fee & lock fee. However its pretty darned well known by now.

Folks whom don't know ahead? Shouldn't be too big of a deal & they learn for next time.

Oh, & isn't the lock thing mandatory at ALL FFL's now with the stupid safe storage law that just went into affect? (honestly don't know, thought that was a thing with that stupid law...)

Is this just for Oregon residents? I'be purchased multiple long guns in OR and have never had to give fingerprints.
Oregon law requires thumbprints on every firearm transfer to an individual.

Identification Required: ORS 166.412 and 166.436

The identification presented by the recipient must meet the requirements of ORS 166.412(4)(a). Identification of the transferee shall include one piece of current identification bearing a photograph and the date of birth of the transferee that:
  • Is issued under the authority of the United States Government, a state, a political subdivision of a state, a foreign government, a political subdivision of a foreign government, an international governmental organization, or an international quasi-governmental organization, and:
  • Is intended to be used for identification of an individual or is commonly accepted for the purpose of identification of an individual.
  • If the identification presented by the transferee does not include the current address of the transferee, the transferee shall present a second piece of current identification that contains the current address of the transferee. The Superintendent of State Police may specify by rule the type of identification that may be presented under this paragraph.

We may require a dealer verify the identification of the transferee if that identity is in question by sending the thumbprints of the transferee to the department.

GUIDELINES FOROBTAINING CLASSIFIABLE THUMBPRINTS* *ORS 166.412(2)c and ORS 166.412(4)c – May be required by statute to provide these prints to the Oregon State Police 1. Thumbprints are recorded on the form by f irst applying printer's ink to the thumbs. This is accomplished by rolling the thumb on a fingerprint ink pad from one side of the thumb to the other side. 2. Roll the thumb from edge to edge and below the: first crease line, use moderate pressure, roll it one time only and in one direction only- not back and forth, with the tip pointing towards the top of the form. 3. Be sure the correct print is recorded in the proper block. 4. The ridges of the thumbprint must he distinct and clear. If the print is smudged or blurred, reprint. 5. The best prints are obtained if the paper is at the edge of a hard surface.
Dealer Name
FFL Number

Purchaser Name
Date of Birth

Tigard Pawn has a new policy that if you do not call on the phone (not email) and let them know you have a firearm coming their way for transfer, the transfer will be $75 instead of $25. This applies to firearms being sent to them from another FFL. This does not apply to walk in private party transfers.

They are giving customers a mulligan for first failure to notify them. The policy was evidently started a couple of months ago but the announcement has not been listed on their website, nor has it been posted in the store as of this morning. When you call to let them know you have a transfer coming their way they will fill out a sheet with gun type and where it's coming from.

Their phone number is 503-624-7800.
I dealt with this FFL several times and never had any negative issues. I always call ahead of time to let them know what is coming for me, and that is just because it saves time and helps for a smooth transaction. Also if I expect them to be polite then I should also be polite and considerate. Most times, policies are implemented for specific reasons, and are in place to protect the business, the client, or both. And besides that, their business.. their rules. It seems that there are alot of easily offended soy boys around here.....

That's unfortunate.

Had done many transfers there when we used to live up North.

Inexpensive & pretty efficient, even when they were busy.

Yes, there rules are a bit odd regarding copy fee & lock fee. However its pretty darned well known by now.

Folks whom don't know ahead? Shouldn't be too big of a deal & they learn for next time.

Oh, & isn't the lock thing mandatory at ALL FFL's now with the stupid safe storage law that just went into affect? (honestly don't know, thought that was a thing with that stupid law...)
I think the city of Tigard has a gun lock ordinance and he has enforced it. Not sure if he's consistent but I recall that I had to provide a lock along with my transfer. Coupled with the negative reviews I've read and my personal experience in the past I won't return. If somebody is wanting to transfer a gun to me up north they are welcome to meet me @HighLine. After all 99% of the time I'm paying for the transfer so I would prefer to take my business to David.

Send your info, avoid the fees. Its America, their shop, they can be jerks if they wanna.

Last Edited:
I got the impression from their policies/etc., that they are not particularly receptive towards private transfers. Some of the personnel were fine, but still had to enforce their policies. My bet is that the owner sees transfers as a nuisance and is trying to discourage that aspect of the business. He would be better off just adopting a policy of not doing private transfers at all - the effect will be the same.
I can only comment in general because I don't live down that way, don't know them, haven't used them.

When I need to use an FFL dealer up here, my business always goes to a pawn shop. Lowest price, friendly service, fast service, complete honesty, excellent communication, they get results. I"ve mentioned them before in NWFA resource reviews, Sound Loan in Everett, Wash.

FFL dealers doing private transfers and interstate sales, I've wondered about that. In my limited experience, it seems to go one way or the other. Either the dealer hates it, charges an arm and an aorta, or simply refuses the business. Or they embrace it fully, do it with dispatch and the greatest degree of efficiency possible. They either view it as a nuisance or an opportunity.

I'd think some dealers who don't like to do this work would much rather sell a gun in inventory than bother with transfers. Or facilitate an out of state transfer rather than sell the customer a gun on hand.

Personally, I think it's a lot of paperwork and bother for $25. I don't know the business, but I'd think the retail markup on a new gun is 10 to 30% in normal times, more profit than a $25 transfer and takes the same amount of time.

After I-594 Wash. the Wash. Arms Collectors set up a kind of system to identify FFL dealers at their shows who would do private transfers for members for $10. I noticed that the dealers willing to do this had a fairly high turn-over.

I can only comment in general because I don't live down that way, don't know them, haven't used them.

When I need to use an FFL dealer up here, my business always goes to a pawn shop. Lowest price, friendly service, fast service, complete honesty, excellent communication, they get results. I"ve mentioned them before in NWFA resource reviews, Sound Loan in Everett, Wash.

FFL dealers doing private transfers and interstate sales, I've wondered about that. In my limited experience, it seems to go one way or the other. Either the dealer hates it, charges an arm and an aorta, or simply refuses the business. Or they embrace it fully, do it with dispatch and the greatest degree of efficiency possible. They either view it as a nuisance or an opportunity.

I'd think some dealers who don't like to do this work would much rather sell a gun in inventory than bother with transfers. Or facilitate an out of state transfer rather than sell the customer a gun on hand.

Personally, I think it's a lot of paperwork and bother for $25. I don't know the business, but I'd think the retail markup on a new gun is 10 to 30% in normal times, more profit than a $25 transfer and takes the same amount of time.

After I-594 Wash. the Wash. Arms Collectors set up a kind of system to identify FFL dealers at their shows who would do private transfers for members for $10. I noticed that the dealers willing to do this had a fairly high turn-over.
It's "free money", provided they normally have the downtime to do transfers efficiently. Since they are already set up to do them.

Free money, as in no inventory to tie up $.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top