JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't have the money but I'm thinking about buying one anyway. Do we have an ffl who is doing a group buy for these? Anybody know if these are stamped U.S.?

Beyond the mark on the rear of the receiver Saying "US Rifle, Cal 30, M1", they didn't stamp Garands with "property of US" of with the ordinance bomb mark. But with relatively few commercial Garands floating around, you can be pretty much assured that these are military contract rifles. Chances are they are going to be pretty rough. A good way to get into a rough shooter grade I suppose. I think I'd still go with a CMP Rifle. The wait is longer and you jump through a couple hoops, but at least those rifles have been examined by a competent armorer. I'd be curious to see the numbers on the throat erosion and muzzle erosion numbers on these guns...

+1 to what mountainbear said.

I have been digging through other forums since these were mentioned on yet another forum I am on....they are not getting good reviews. Evidently they are very rough and in not very good condition. I haven't seen one myself and was considering getting one but like mountainbear just said you can get one from CMP and know that it has been examined by a competent armorer; plus you can get a field grade garand from CMP for 495.

+1 to what mountainbear said.

I have been digging through other forums since these were mentioned on yet another forum I am on....they are not getting good reviews. Evidently they are very rough and in not very good condition. I haven't seen one myself and was considering getting one but like mountainbear just said you can get one from CMP and know that it has been examined by a competent armorer; plus you can get a field grade garand from CMP for 495.

Lets compare:

Examined by Century monkeys or examined by people at CMP that live and breath nothing but M1 Garands, tough choice!

Just a warning: SOG has a reputation of claiming their guns are in better condition than what you might think. In other words, their "Very Good" might be your "Fair."

This is not a personal experience, but something i read on the Gunboards forum.

Just a warning: SOG has a reputation of claiming their guns are in better condition than what you might think. In other words, their "Very Good" might be your "Fair."

This is not a personal experience, but something i read on the Gunboards forum.

And this is not the first time I have read this. CMP has some excellent Garands right now, even some supposedly new condition returns from Greece. As soon as I can I am buying one.. about $1,000

I had a beautiful rebuilt Garand that I had to sell for vet bills in 1995.. and I still have 2.5 cases of black tip AP in the clips waiting for another Garand!

The only reason I could see for buying one of these SOG guns is if you needed an action to build a match gun on. The actions should be fine, as should the small parts, but I bet the barrels are sewer pipes and the stocks are birch boat oars...

But like I said, but the gun cheap, buy a new Kreiger barrel, bed a new production Boyd's stock, and you've got a decent rifle...

The only reason I could see for buying one of these SOG guns is if you needed an action to build a match gun on. The actions should be fine, as should the small parts, but I bet the barrels are sewer pipes and the stocks are birch boat oars...

But like I said, but the gun cheap, buy a new Kreiger barrel, bed a new production Boyd's stock, and you've got a decent rifle...

That's sort of what I did with my Garand.. I bought it in the mid 1980s for $280, the gun was reparked but the barrel was indeed such a sewer pipe that the range master pulled me after I started shooting 12 inch groups at 25 yards.. he said the rounds were flying everywhere!

I bought everything new out of Shotgun News (no internet back then..) except receiver/stock/stock hardware, tossed the old parts in a bag, the stock was salvageable with some steam and linseed oil, and I ended up with a 2 MOA rifle with my handloads. I miss it and I have lots of "food" left for my next one!

BRINGING THE DEAD BACK TO LIFE (some people call me @Medic!)

Has anyone seen any good Garand deals out there....checked out CMP....Are we shipping any of those overseas back soon?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top