Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Heads up! M1 Garands for $429 + S&H & FFL

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Joe Link, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

2. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

C&R FFL's can buy these!

3. CharlesAFerg

CharlesAFerg Beaverton Active Member

No way. So, these are U.S. surplus rifles?

4. 56kninja

56kninja Portland Member

Yeah. I think they are rifles we gave to the South Koreans and they are now making their way back to us.

I really wish I had money to buy one of these. Always wanted an M1.

5. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

Good for those "Get off my Lawn" parties...:)

6. chris61182

chris61182 A little west of Portland Active Member

I think that would be a great idea! I'll be waiting with baited breath to hear if someone wants to pick up the idea.

7. gnarkill

gnarkill Richland, WA Member

Ha I dont have the money either but that's too good of a deal, how do I get one?

8. hsullyc

hsullyc North coast,Nehalem,OR Member

+1

9. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Beyond the mark on the rear of the receiver Saying "US Rifle, Cal 30, M1", they didn't stamp Garands with "property of US" of with the ordinance bomb mark. But with relatively few commercial Garands floating around, you can be pretty much assured that these are military contract rifles. Chances are they are going to be pretty rough. A good way to get into a rough shooter grade I suppose. I think I'd still go with a CMP Rifle. The wait is longer and you jump through a couple hoops, but at least those rifles have been examined by a competent armorer. I'd be curious to see the numbers on the throat erosion and muzzle erosion numbers on these guns...

10. Yankeefan

Yankeefan Southern Oregon Member

+1 to what mountainbear said.

I have been digging through other forums since these were mentioned on yet another forum I am on....they are not getting good reviews. Evidently they are very rough and in not very good condition. I haven't seen one myself and was considering getting one but like mountainbear just said you can get one from CMP and know that it has been examined by a competent armorer; plus you can get a field grade garand from CMP for 495.

11. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Lets compare:

Examined by Century monkeys or examined by people at CMP that live and breath nothing but M1 Garands, tough choice!

12. Ballistic

Ballistic Salem, Oregon Active Member

Just a warning: SOG has a reputation of claiming their guns are in better condition than what you might think. In other words, their "Very Good" might be your "Fair."

This is not a personal experience, but something i read on the Gunboards forum.

13. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

And this is not the first time I have read this. CMP has some excellent Garands right now, even some supposedly new condition returns from Greece. As soon as I can I am buying one.. about $1,000

I had a beautiful rebuilt Garand that I had to sell for vet bills in 1995.. and I still have 2.5 cases of black tip AP in the clips waiting for another Garand!

14. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

The only reason I could see for buying one of these SOG guns is if you needed an action to build a match gun on. The actions should be fine, as should the small parts, but I bet the barrels are sewer pipes and the stocks are birch boat oars...

But like I said, but the gun cheap, buy a new Kreiger barrel, bed a new production Boyd's stock, and you've got a decent rifle...

15. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

That's sort of what I did with my Garand.. I bought it in the mid 1980s for $280, the gun was reparked but the barrel was indeed such a sewer pipe that the range master pulled me after I started shooting 12 inch groups at 25 yards.. he said the rounds were flying everywhere!

I bought everything new out of Shotgun News (no internet back then..) except receiver/stock/stock hardware, tossed the old parts in a bag, the stock was salvageable with some steam and linseed oil, and I ended up with a 2 MOA rifle with my handloads. I miss it and I have lots of "food" left for my next one!