JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Took my daughter out to the GPNF above Vancouver to sight in my Ruger GSR this morning. Put a target on a box and an AR500 swinger out at 100yds down a shooting lane we found. I had an unbelievable 1" group on the bull right out the gate, no scope adjustment required. Love that laser boresight. I turn the rifle over to my daughter and she wants to shoot the steel. She shoots, but we both might have heard a double report, and the gong flew off one chain. WTF. I know she nailed the steel. I walked down the the lane and confirm a good center plate hit she made. As I was reattaching the plate to the hook, I noticed a big bore hole entry from 30 degrees above and 15 degrees left on the BACK side of the top crossmember steel tubing exiting the front side. WTFWTFWTF. Someone in the trees on the hill above timed their shot to coincide with my daughters shot and missed the gong a foot high, going through my frame. That shot could have easily ricocheted into us. Picked the whole target up and returned to our shooting site. The hole was bigger than our 308 bullet and brass neck, so probably a 338 or even a 375. I am pissed. Not only shooting at someone else's target a 180 degrees from us, but holing a gong stand I just bought off a forum member here. I glassed the ridge for a while but never saw anyone. Must have beat feet when they realized what they did. If the offending asshat reads this post, I hope karma bites you in the keister. I will post pics later.

IMG_0401.JPG.jpeg IMG_0403.JPG.jpeg

Last Edited:
Was there any indication that someone had already set up a target in that area?

Maybe you drove up and squatted just as the person set up farther away? If someone sets up out at distance it can take a while for them to get to their position.

Not saying their actions were right but just maybe there was some signs that you could have noticed before setting up.

Now if someone is shooting from distance in the woods it is their responsibility to make sure that it is obvious to others what they are doing or at the very least make sure they are aware of potential "intruders" that may not see them.

Awareness is everything when shooting in the woods. Which is why I rarely do it - just too many things to go wrong or interfere.

The spot I chose to shoot is a one party affair, with a narrow shooting lane, trees lining both sides. The backstop is a large hillside. If someone walked off the access road above and traversed about 100yards of nasty scrub/bush terrain, they could get to a spot to overlook the shooting lane. When we arrived, no other cars were parked anywhere near us or along the road. No targets or close-by shooting were noted. When we left, we noted a white PT Cruiser parked near a potential incursion area, and a woman sitting behind the wheel smoking. She didn't look high on my list of probable suspects but there might have been a passenger in the bush. Who knows? Either way, to time your shot to coincide with the target owners shot creates mens rea. That means in legal speak, they knew what they where doing was illegal and dangerous and they didn't want to get caught. I don't take my safety lightly and have never had an issue in this spot before.

I'd have been tempted to stick a laser through the hole and see where the beam led, then take a nose around up there...

I looked right through the hole at a spot that would have suggested someone on the very top of the backstop hill, or possibly a very lucky errant artillery shot from somewhere farther back down Rawson Rd. I contemplated "nosing around" but didn't want a confrontation with armed persons.

I looked right through the hole at a spot that would have suggested someone on the very top of the backstop hill, or possibly a very lucky errant artillery shot from somewhere farther back down Rawson Rd. I contemplated "nosing around" but didn't want a confrontation with armed persons.
A drone woulda been sweet to have right about then..

A biting, acerbic, and oh so clever series of bad language here!!! :mad:

What a stupid a whole! I'm so glad that you and your daughter were unharmed! This stuff is why I bite the bullet and pay to belong to a club! That is, so I don't bite the bullet! Kinda makes a person hesitant to take a child into the woods, doesn't it! :mad:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top