JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Or maybe that's "head lamp" wars, for those who may have been in the auto parts biz at one time.

At one time, back when most cars had what were called sealed beams for head lights, there were federal DOT standards for illumination that were followed by manufacturers and after-market suppliers. Said another way, the sealed beams or "bulbs" had to be no weaker and no stronger than a given amount of illumination. For the same reason that it was illegal to drive around the city with your high beams on, safety; excess illumination blinded on-coming drivers.

Whatever happened to those DOT standards? There seems to be no limit on the amount of illumination that head lights put out now. No longer does "the other guy" count, only maximum illumination for the driver seems to be the object.

It seems like lots of the newer vehicles have very bright head lights, blinding bright white. Those $60K pickups that are now so common (72 month payment books comes with). Or many fancy SUV's, etc. These days, about 80% or more of new cars are financed, so you can imagine that most of those fancy new outfits you see on the road aren't paid for. But that's another story.

Okay, two can play at this game. For years when sealed beams were in use, the wiring to those was designed to carry a certain current load. If you bought some halogen replacements, sometimes you were required to re-wire them or at least put in a relay that supplied greater current.

Then the car manufacturers started making vehicles with head lights that had reflectors with separate, removable bulbs. Kind of a retro design, in a way. Before sealed beams came onto the scene about 1940, most cars had bulb and reflector head lamps. My dad had a 1937 Lincoln, it had those but the silvering on the reflectors was old and tarnished, the illumination wasn't worth a hoot. My dad said, "We may as well have a couple of candles out there on the front fenders."

But now the modern reflectors as made are an improved design out of better materials. The separate bulb lends itself to being changed. Everything is all about LED lights now, so I decided to look into these for my two cars. LED's don't have a heavy current demand so the existing wiring will easily support them.

I have two Ford Panther platform cars, specifically a 2004 Ford Crown Victoria and a 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis. I Googled LED head light bulbs, you can spend $100 or more on a set via auto supply sites. Then I looked at Ebay, you can buy sets of them there for $20 and up. First I bought a set to try out on the Crown Vic, they came right away. No instructions. The Crown Vic has a lock ring that holds the original bulb in the back of the reflector. The LED replacement bulb has a big heat sink on the back, the ring won't fit over it. I looked at this situation, decided I'd cut a split in the lock ring, pull it over the LED bulb and then lock it in place. It worked but it would've been nice if there'd been instructions. The lights worked out fine in that car, so I sent away for another set for the 06 Merc.

The Merc, only two years newer, has a different bulb design. Actually better, because Ford did away with the lock ring and the bulb is self-locking into the reflector. Only thing is, there are three positions the new bulb will lock in, you have to find the correct one out of three to get the LED arranged so it reflects properly off both sides of the reflector.

In both cases, the LED replacement bulbs come with a wiring pig tail adapter that plugs right into the original wiring of your car. Big improvement in illumination for me, the driver. Now I'm prepared to do proper battle in the head light wars.

Funny thing, before I changed my bulbs to LED's, a few nights I drove around with my high beams on, just to see the reaction of other drivers. Not one flashed their head lights at me; seems like everyone is used to overly-bright head lights now.

I don't have a pickup, instead I have an old Ford Ranch Wagon for hauling. It's a 1972 model, ex-USAF, I put up a few pictures of it elsewhere on this site. It has sealed beams. It's not wired for halogen replacements. I'd like to find some kind of LED replacements for it but I haven't figured out a solution for that yet.

I don't have a problem with brightness if they are aimed properly. Headlights are still adjustable for aim, regardless of their brightness. If the headlights are aimed down slightly, they are far less likely to blind other drivers.

I've been recently experimenting with the best aim for my new Dodge pickup. From the factory they were aimed parallel with the road surface. So, roadsigns were lit up by my headlights for a mile in front of me, as well as blinding the person I was following, or oncoming vehicles. A little at a time I've been adjusting them down, so they actually light up the road, and not other drivers.

There was a time when California was a very strict enforcer of headlight aiming. They had traps on their highways, and I don't know how they measured it, but if your lights were aimed too high, you'd get a ticket.

I've discussed this with many youngsters, and in every case they insist new vehicles headlights are not adjustable for aim. Uh, yes they are, or at least every vehicle I've ever owned is still adjustable, including my newest vehicles, including my motorcycles.

Yes, my Ford product headlights are adjustable and I like to keep them properly set. I hate head lights that are out of focus, just like I don't like a steering wheel that is out of alignment with the wheels (cocked to one side while going down the road straight).

Just by design of ride height, most pickup truck head lights are aimed right into the passenger compartment of an ordinary sedan if anything like close behind. There's no adjustment for that.

Wayno, you're quite right, the CHP used to have equipment inspection roadblocks that included head light focus check. This was possible when all cars used pretty universal sealed beams. Remember the little lugs that sealed beams used to have around the edges? Those were for mounting inspection equipment that checked focus. When the manufacturers started designing all sorts of different head light shapes and designs, this was no longer possible. My guess is that in this day and age, the CHP likely wouldn't have the manpower available to do such things anyway.

The tickets that the CHP gave for equipment failures weren't a fine. You had to correct the equipment deficiency, then take the vehicle to a CHP office and have them clear the ticket (or "citation" as it was once called in CA).

A month or two ago, I was driving on I-90 and the entire roadway was awash in bright light, like from a Xenon searchlight on an M48 tank. I got over in the far right hand lane, let the guy get by me, it was a Jeep station wagon with a bull bar mounted on the front. On top of the bar was a huge searchlight of some kind, about as high as the hood. Illegal as can be, even had to block the driver's vision to some extent. That one was good for a huge ticket (or as they are called in WA, an "infraction"). State Patrol is spread thin kinda here; I don't think their staffing keeps up with population increase.

Oh man you got me started... headlight ID10T's.
First it was those blue headlight bulbs on all the fart cars. Then it was everyone else who thought that they needed blue head light bulbs "because they better". Effing idiot trend lemmings. All they do is annoy every other driver that can see just fine with standard OEM bulbs. We get it, really... your illumination needs outweigh the night vision of every other driver you blind.
Then the projector bulbs came on to the scene. Talk about "Oh look at my car, it's ducking special". What a bunch of self absorbed tools. Even if these pieces of crap are aimed "properly", they are guaranteed to blind oncoming drivers as they sit at crowned intersections.
If you use the excuse that "they provide better light", you are wrong. If you need aircraft equivalent lighting to see where you are going then your eyesight is not adequate for night driving. You are nothing more than an ATTENTION WHORE. Own it.

I have no problem with folks who update to HIDs (I did in my truck, but just high beamers) PROVIDED they use the cutoff line properly.

The absolute worst are the nimrods who completely remove the cutoff line...FRAKIN' MAROONS! They should get a $500 dollar citation, a fix it, plus insurance points (don't even know if we do points in OR...) PLUS a swift kick in the junk!

Funny thing, before I changed my bulbs to LED's, a few nights I drove around with my high beams on, just to see the reaction of other drivers. Not one flashed their head lights at me; seems like everyone is used to overly-bright head lights now.
That is because a vast majority Oregon and SW Washington drivers are clueless 5mph under the posted speed limit zombies

It's not just annoying for me when the rice rocket jockeys put those xenon lamps on... I'm extremely photosensitive and light triggers my Migraines. It can cause seizures and crap too in some people... very not cool!

That's part of the reason I had my windshield fully tinted.

Takes some of the glare out of oncoming bright lights.

It's not black, but just enough to keep the UV's out and dim the crazy lights a bit.

Been pulled over numerous times (never got a ticket) and there was never a word about my windshield.

I tried HID's a couple times but found they burn out a lot faster on my car so I went back to normal lights.

You need a sealed beam conversion kit for your Ford wagon.
That should be a 4 headlight system that uses the 5.75" (smaller) sealed beam units, the 4000 and 5000 series sealed beam bulbs. The replacements take an H4 halogen type bulb, but there are LED replacements for the H4 as well if you want LEDs.

Don't get the 6014 replacements as those are the 7" type, and won't fit the car's housings.

The conversion kits for those were never D.O.T. approved, but are available as they are still used on off-road vehicles as well as motorcycles.

Here is an example, made by Hella:
<broken link removed>

Good luck. I had the Cibie' versions in my old IH Scout, and they were phenomenal when compared to the OE sealed beams, using Halogen bulbs.

We get people that call in wanting change to headlamps in their new Super Duty's to the LED design. We priced some out for a customer and it was well over $1000.00 and we told him that there is not guarantee that they would even work. Besides that, if you installed headlamps and they caused a driver to have an accident and (or) be killed, you could be liable for that.

What I've found....the LEDs have the same placement as the filament in a standard bulb, so they work correctly in the stock housings. HIDs are designed to be used with a cutoff or projector housing, so you get tons of light splash/bleed when used in a standard housing.
LEDs are th‭e way to go.

As Jamie said, Hella or Cibie with LED H4s for the older cars. There are LED replacements out there, but tend to be $150+ each.

Jamie6.5 and Unka-Boo, thanks for the info re. the 72 Ford head light replacements. Yes, they are the small ones, 5.75 inch sounds about right. Fact is, I rarely drive that old car in the dark or the rain anyway, for other reasons.

On the Panther cars that I recently converted, yes, the LED's fit correctly into the original reflector and work like the originals.

Headlights are rated by their wattage.

Newer bulbs and LED's have upped the lumens.

Then there are the fvks with HID'a that are 4x the standard lumens and running a piercing color.

I just adjusted the HIDs on my SRT Durango, they were way to high, and I actually had issues seeing the road in front of me unless I had the driving lights on. I also added actual fog lights, cause it does tend to get foggy in the PNW!

Now, while were on the subject, WTF is with the LEO cruisers and Fire Apparatus with the blindingly bright and terribly distracting Red and Blues I can see for 10 friggin miles up the road! Those seriously cause me issues, and I bet the dazzling has caused many fatalities, I nearly hit a cop standing in the road directing traffic, he was in the middle of the street between several rigs all lit up and I didn't see him until I almost ran his dumb azz over! He stopped me and started in until I told him to STFU and LOOK at where he was standing and see that drivers couldn't even see him until it was just about too late! Also, Why the eff do every single cop car in the entire county have to show up with lights blazing and insist on parking in the road at weird angles ( for safety) when they only need a trail car to light it up! WTF

@No_Regerts can you offer any wisdom here? I would think officer safety would be tops on any list, this all seems counter to that big time!:eek:

I just adjusted the HIDs on my SRT Durango, they were way to high, and I actually had issues seeing the road in front of me unless I had the driving lights on. I also added actual fog lights, cause it does tend to get foggy in the PNW!

Now, while were on the subject, WTF is with the LEO cruisers and Fire Apparatus with the blindingly bright and terribly distracting Red and Blues I can see for 10 friggin miles up the road! Those seriously cause me issues, and I bet the dazzling has caused many fatalities, I nearly hit a cop standing in the road directing traffic, he was in the middle of the street between several rigs all lit up and I didn't see him until I almost ran his dumb azz over! He stopped me and started in until I told him to STFU and LOOK at where he was standing and see that drivers couldn't even see him until it was just about too late! Also, Why the eff do every single cop car in the entire county have to show up with lights blazing and insist on parking in the road at weird angles ( for safety) when they only need a trail car to light it up! WTF

@No_Regerts can you offer any wisdom here? I would think officer safety would be tops on any list, this all seems counter to that big time!:eek:

I guess when you pull up, you are the trail car until someone else gets there?

I greatly dislike driving the I-5 Corridor at night precisely because of these reasons. Too many idiots with misaimed headlights and super bright lights.. as well as the State Stormtroopers with the dazzlers. If one or three have them on and are parked on the Southbound lane, more often theyre at the Jefferson exits area and visible going downhill from Enchanted Lane area :rolleyes: its also due to the dazzlers that EVERYONE slows down to like 45 on I-5 until they pass the cops :mad:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top