JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So for Xmas I got this headlight that has a flexible LED lightbar in the forward portion of the strap. It also has a conventional LED with lens on the side.

61Ao+NcelOS._AC_SL1500_.jpg
71I923BaLHS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The lightbar is a wide beam the light on the side is a spot beam. Unfortunately, the only way the two lights can be on at the same time is when the spot beam is in strobe mode.

I was surprised at how bright the lightbar is, especially for only 300 lumens. That said, it is a wide beam and does not have the penetration distance that you would expect from a 300 lumen LED with a lens. But boy is it bright and wide and no dead spots. If you are working on something close up (within 0 to 40-50') in the dark - like a dead car engine, or an injured person, or a camp area at night, this is what you want to use.

Unfortunately, the spot beam on the side has lots of hot spots and rings and such, but it does reach out further.

Not saying this is the best headlamp, or the best of the lightbar type, or that other lightbar headlamps are this good, or worse, or not better - I have not tried others, this being the first - but I will say that the lightbar type (at least this one) has real advantages over the lens type when you need a wide beam that will fill in the area immediately.

If it had a better spot light with no or few dead areas, with more lumens, then it would maybe be ideal (I have not tested this a lot) - if it had more modes and the spot light could be used in conjunction with the wide beam lightbar without being in strobe mode. This would still be a good light for trail walking or jogging or maybe riding a bicycle.

I've seen a lot of similar headlamps, but not many (any?) with an additional spot light with a lens. I see other lightbar headlamps advertised with more lumens and more battery power, but not sure if more lumens for a wide beam with short distance penetration is necessary. I would like to see it have more modes than "my God that is bright!" and "ahh, that's not so bright, but still don't look directly at the light". E.G., maybe 4 to 5 brightness levels with a "moonlight" mode (maybe 10-20 lumens) that lasts for days like some of my flashlights.

On a side note I bought a Motorola flashlight from Best Buy that is 600lm and rechargeable with a USB cord for under & 40. Seems to be pretty decent.

So for Xmas I got this headlight that has a flexible LED lightbar in the forward portion of the strap. It also has a conventional LED with lens on the side.

View attachment 1102513
View attachment 1102514

The lightbar is a wide beam the light on the side is a spot beam. Unfortunately, the only way the two lights can be on at the same time is when the spot beam is in strobe mode.

I was surprised at how bright the lightbar is, especially for only 300 lumens. That said, it is a wide beam and does not have the penetration distance that you would expect from a 300 lumen LED with a lens. But boy is it bright and wide and no dead spots. If you are working on something close up (within 0 to 40-50') in the dark - like a dead car engine, or an injured person, or a camp area at night, this is what you want to use.

Unfortunately, the spot beam on the side has lots of hot spots and rings and such, but it does reach out further.

Not saying this is the best headlamp, or the best of the lightbar type, or that other lightbar headlamps are this good, or worse, or not better - I have not tried others, this being the first - but I will say that the lightbar type (at least this one) has real advantages over the lens type when you need a wide beam that will fill in the area immediately.

If it had a better spot light with no or few dead areas, with more lumens, then it would maybe be ideal (I have not tested this a lot) - if it had more modes and the spot light could be used in conjunction with the wide beam lightbar without being in strobe mode. This would still be a good light for trail walking or jogging or maybe riding a bicycle.

I've seen a lot of similar headlamps, but not many (any?) with an additional spot light with a lens. I see other lightbar headlamps advertised with more lumens and more battery power, but not sure if more lumens for a wide beam with short distance penetration is necessary. I would like to see it have more modes than "my God that is bright!" and "ahh, that's not so bright, but still don't look directly at the light". E.G., maybe 4 to 5 brightness levels with a "moonlight" mode (maybe 10-20 lumens) that lasts for days like some of my flashlights.
Thank you for sharing this.

Didn't know about this type of headlight and it's exactly what I need 99% of the time as a CERT volunteer or for the times I'm under the house. Spot type lights never worked well, am looking forward to trying one of these

Last Edited:

View attachment 1102513
View attachment 1102514

Thanks again for sharing this tech.

I bought a similar flight and had the chance to use it for several days helping a friend with wiring inside a large building where there was little to no light. The amount of light provided by the headlamp and the broad spread of the light made doing the wiring - - and just walking around--- much easier and safer.

That headlamp is going in my travel gear for disaster deployments. It will be way more useful at night and I always have a leatherman / led lenser T2 flashlight for focused lighting needs.

Interesting little thing. I am going to buy one. I have lost track of the times I have been trying to do something in the dark, like check the engine, and trying to keep a light on while using both hands is a PITA. I had seen little head lamps and even tried one long ago that clipped to your pocket or the bill of a cap. It was hardly any better. This damn thing looks like it would really work.

^same.

That being said, I use headlamps for work on a daily basis. They are handy as all get out. Everyone should have one in their vehicle and at home.
The more I think about the times stumbling in the dark trying to do something. Either not having a light handy or trying to hold the light and work with both hands, this sounds like something I should have had long ago. Suspect that when the one I ordered gets here and I can try it I am going to order a couple more. Just to keep one in each vehicle. One of those "now why did I not know about these damn things" moments :D

The more I think about the times stumbling in the dark trying to do something. Either not having a light handy or trying to hold the light and work with both hands, this sounds like something I should have had long ago. Suspect that when the one I ordered gets here and I can try it I am going to order a couple more. Just to keep one in each vehicle. One of those "now why did I not know about these damn things" moments :D
They come in very handy. I can't remember the last time I used a hand held light at this point.

As a follow up to these. The damn thing is amazing. I promptly ordered a couple more so I could keep one in each vehicle. I had tried a deal LONG ago that used a couple AA batteries and clipped to the bill of a cap or pocket. It was heavy and shone light in one spot, before long got relegated to one of the junk boxes. Now this thing? Its bright! I turn it on and its like I have light all around me. It lights up the entire area in front of me not just one small spot. Damn this will be nice the next time I am trying to check under the hood or trying to work on something outside and need both hands. Thanks again to TheHeritic. Don't know how I did not know these even existed but damn they are nice.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top