JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an 18' boat and will be taking it to Neskowin in the next couple of weeks. I figure I will have to go to Tillamook, Lincoln City or Newport, but am hoping somebody can help w/ a decent crabbing spot somewhere in that area of the coast. Also hoping to try some rockfish fishing, though I'm hoping to avoid open water (is that possible?). Looking for any advise (what to use for bait, etc.) and places to go.

Thanks in advance for any replies. I have chartered out of Gold Beach a couple of times, but that's the extent of my saltwater fishing experience (sad but true).

Siletz Bay in Taft (immediately South of Lincoln City on 101) used to be a decent spot for crabbing. Its silted in more now than when I was a kid there, but its a well-protected bay. Just watch out for the outgoing tide...hope your outboard is reliable.
Hit up some seafood stores in LC, ask if they have fresh fish heads you can use as bait. Otherwise, defrosted chicken pieces.
Not sure where the boat launch is, though. Call Mo's restaurant in Taft. They'd know.
Have fun. Nothing better than fresh bugs from the sea.

Burnt, Thanks for the offer!

I am actually going out early next month w/ my father in law and would love some advise. We went out for the first time in late July to the mouth of Nestucca Bay, but only ended up w/ a few keepers. I did notice that the fish heads seemed to do better than the frozen turkey legs.

Again, any advise would be MUCH appreciated (where to launch, where to drop pots, what to use). I currently have three of those cheapo Danielson square pots rigged w/ 50' of line and a total of 4' of rebar as weight on the bottom on each.

If you are using the cheap Danielson type square traps, you need to put a weight on the swinging trap doors. I use a galvanized metal washer "3/4 bolt size" and a zip-tie.
This keeps the in-coming current from lifting the door edge up and allowing the large craps from escaping.
A friend told me about this trick and my catch ratio per set tripled. Set the traps right before low slack tide, and check them every 20 minutes or so.
I prefer using a turkey drumstick zip-tied to the bottom and a small bait cage full of old herring (last years unused salmon bait) tied to the top.
Went out last week and limited out "36" in less than two hours.

Pencil weights on the trap doors help a lot in the current. Fish heads and guts hit a lot harder with the crabs than chicken, but if there are seals present you want at least one chicken leg to discourage the seals. And as far as rebar weights, they work well. But they can set up a current with other metal pieces due to the salt water. The anode discourages crabs, so you might think about coating the rebar or putting out in some abs or something.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top