JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't think the government can control or track 350,000,000 million people. So technology is worthless. About only 250,000 troops can't control the U.S. population and look and the government can't even control immigration. So don't worry.

Perhaps, but if they have put live cameras on ALL of the Forest service roads, and gradually closed off the little unused ones so that only the main dirt/gravel roads were accessible, they could patrol it and find you quite easily. Of course, currently it's NOT illegal to be there, and NOT illegal to have a weapon up there.....but....

It appears to me that they got the cameras installed last year. Certainly none of us knew that they could track every Soviet Sub (and whales) for that matter, in all of the worlds oceans no matter where they went, as far back as the 70's. They have the sky's blanketed with spy satellites, we really don't know with what.

ok here is the real question

is it better to Stand and fight and die with your boots on or

better to cower and hide like scared prey until someone eats you.

lets ask Conan . Conan what do you think ?

" Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women."

Dude...that's awesome. I'm gonna practice that line with the accent all day.

We would bug in until it looks like a soon to be police state with food lines and refugee camps, then we would blow this pop sickle stand and head to the tree fort.

Perhaps, but if they have put live cameras on ALL of the Forest service roads, and gradually closed off the little unused ones so that only the main dirt/gravel roads were accessible, they could patrol it and find you quite easily.

I have a feeling some of these old boys from around here would take care of those little camera's faster than they would a 6 point in their camp site. :s0114:

God I hate these threads...

You realize that you trying to stay in the city (hiding from looters, government mandated "inspections" or standing in line for food and water at some FEMA camp) sounds crazier than me building a cabin by hand up in the mountains?

If the cold of winter is the worst thing I have to worry about then I'll take my chances...

For the record, I really don't give a rat's behind what you plan on doing when crap gets bad. But just because you don't know how to rough it in the winter doesn't mean we don't.

As for the unmanned drones, satellites and such- there are ways to conceal yourself from that as well.

I suppose you are going to survive in the wild during winter without building a fire that sends up columns of smoke? What about infrared radar that tracks body heat? How are you going to build a cabin? Are you going to use a chain saw to make the job easier? Can't you hear a chain saw in the woods for miles? Does anyone in your family take medications on a regular basis? If so, how are you going to get your meds? What if you or one of your family gets seriously ill of injured?

By the way, "roughing it" and surviving through the winter are a bit different.
Also, I did not say that I'm not prepared for hard times. My family and I have emergency food supplies including water, water purification systems medical supplies, weapons and ammo. You can do what you want, but what I'm saying is that for most people, especially with families, "heading for the hills" is something that probably isn't practical.:D

I suppose you are going to survive in the wild during winter without building a fire that sends up columns of smoke? What about infrared radar that tracks body heat? How are you going to build a cabin? Are you going to use a chain saw to make the job easier? Can't you hear a chain saw in the woods for miles? Does anyone in your family take medications on a regular basis? If so, how are you going to get your meds? What if you or one of your family gets seriously ill of injured?

Dakota hole, that's what caves are for, people have been making cabins for years before the invention of chain saws, no, we have an RN in our group stocking meds and while myself and another group member are learning to do minor surgeries, stitching, bone setting, ect.

You can do what you want...

Thanks for your permission to "head to the hills".

Dakota hole, that's what caves are for, people have been making cabins for years before the invention of chain saws, no, we have an RN in our group stocking meds and while myself and another group member are learning to do minor surgeries, stitching, bone setting, ect.

Thanks for your permission to "head to the hills".[/QUOTE

Have you ever built a fire in a cave? where does the smoke go? Does anyone else know about the cave? Are they friendly? Have you ever built a log cabin by hand?

By the way, I wasn't giving you "permission" to head for the hills.It's really not my place to do so. What I'm trying to do here is provoke some thought on what it takes to live and survive in the wild. Remember, RED Dawn was just a movie.:D

I'm just going to run around in a loin cloth (regardless of what season it is), flailing my arms, drooling and screaming "This is the END! This is the END!" That way I will be left alone.

In Portland you wont be left alone if you do that..........

I believe that it is entirely plausible to head for the hills in a SHTF scenario, and if I need to do that at some point I have the gear and knowledge that I believe I would need to do that successfully. However, doing that is not something that your everyday average joe might be successful at. That is where preparation comes in. And I don't mean stockpiling supplies and talking about bugging out on forums, I mean learning the techniques needed to be self sustainable in the wilderness. A good wilderness survival person can live comfortably in the woods for an indefinite period of time with a very minimal amount of kit. The reason he or she can do this is not because they have the latest cool gear, but because they have studied proven techniques and practiced them until they are proficient.

As far as concealment in the woods from satellites and drones or what have you, I find this to be a little far fetched. I would think that the "gubbermint" would have alot more pressing matters to attend to if there was some societal collapse than chasing non-combatant individuals through the mountains tracking them with night vision, thermal imaging, satellites, etc. Doesn't it seem much more likely that they would need those resources for other more important things? Unless you were the leader of the resistance I dont think that they would expend so much effort looking for a guy and his family trying to avoid trouble up in the hills. But I could be wrong.

I think that as one poster stated (Coctailer?) that it is best to prepare for the worst case, and expect the worst (Hope is a luxury that I don't think fits this situation well). If something easier than the worst happens, then you are well prepared for that eventuality. It is obviously best to attempt to ride out an emergency at home where you have the most readily available resources and have home-field advantage, however, the circumstances of each possible scenario will dictate whether one is able to do that. YOu may HAVE to leave your house, and you need to know what to do if that becomes a necessity.

I think the OP is trying to make the point that heading to the hills may not be the best first choice, and I can understand that depending on the situation. However it is imperative to have a plan to head there if the need arises. So getting outdoor survival training is the best thing a "bug in or out" minded individual can do.

:s0155:They might make you mayor!

yep

1276799080-r135expose-yourself-to-art-posters.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads