JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If published reports about Joseph Cooley, the suspect in the murder of a 17-year-old Shorecrest High School student – who turned himself in Sunday night at the King County Jail – are correct, he pulled the trigger on the semiautomatic pistol he was evidently packing illegally, because “he believed he had been disrespected” by one of the people he shot.

<broken link removed>

That's the thing these days. People who expect respect when none is warranted and then at the slightest bit of anything, they claim disrespect and fight (sometimes with weapons and sometimes against those who don't have weapons as well). It is a sad state of our society that people think they deserve respect and that they'll kill someone at the drop of a hat if they get told off or something. We won't mention one part of this which is that it is certain people with certain traits who make up a great proportion of the people who think they should be respected and not "dissed." But there is a very common trait and one that is not "PC" to point out.

#1 reason for shootings in Compton throughout the 80s and 90s. What can society do about someone as moronic as this? Not much outside of termination.

#1 reason for shootings in Compton throughout the 80s and 90s. What can society do about someone as moronic as this? Not much outside of termination.
I believe it all comes back to how you were raised and what you were taught. Unfortunately, there are many who don't have someone respectable to teach them which keeps the cycle going.

Too many kids have nobody to raise them. They have mommas that are strung out and seed spreading dads that are worthless and either in prison or deserve it.
Voluntary sterilization for $$ might be worth debating.

I think sterilization would be a good start.....however termination would solve the problem

I personally ran into something similar on at least one (1) occassion, and possibly a few others, fortunately none resulting in violence. In no case had I knowingly or intentionally 'disrespected' anyone, either.

Parents share some of the blame, no question, but some of these kids are just plain belligerent and stupid by nature.

tumblr_m43hy0OWWx1qczizeo1_500.jpg

^LMAO!!!!!

I think i'm a little jaded, but this type of thing seems to confirm my thoughts that we have little to no consideration or respect for our fellow man, in this country at least. Escalation of violence like this is insane, and on the other side, i DO see people being openly disrespectful and self-centered on a daily basis (i'm sure i'm guilty of of it as well), with no one standing up to them (which i know i'm guilty of). I guess we're all afraid of being shot over words.

A couple of years ago, my brother got flagged over by a guy in our hometown, because he was probably driving like a complete jerk, but instead of telling my brother off for driving dangerously, he started cussing at him, and pulled a revolver on him. And this wasn't a young guy either, i believe he was in his late 50's at the time.

Respect: Respect - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Two of the definitions seem to apply to the subject at hand:
2: an act of giving particular attention : consideration

a: high or special regard : esteem
b: the quality or state of being esteemed
c plural: expressions of high or special regard or deference <paid our respects>
So do you want me to pay attention to you, or think highly of you?

Respect is earned. This is just another common misuse of a word by someone with poor social skills, they same way "honor" used to be misused. You cannot offend someone's honor. Honor is how you treat other people. Ego is how you expect others to treat you. Your ego was offended, not your honor. Get over yourself.

I was out in rural Washington County near Hillsboro a few years ago. Two cars had a third one boxed in in the opposite lane, traffic stopped behind them for a good quarter mile. Two big burly dudes against one obviously terrified smallish teenage kid. Reaching in the car, shoving on him. I stopped and asked what was up. Apparently they were travelling together and the kid had passed the guy in the back and separated them. I told them flatly to call the cops or let him go. One of them turned on me, started to point his finger through my window until I reminded him I'd been recording the whole thing and had my finger on the 911 speed dial number, adding that my expertise as a mental health professional told me he probably wouldn't pass a drug screen and the cops wouldn't think highly of any meth they found in his truck. His girlfriend overheard that and yelled at him to get the f*** back in the truck. They both sped off. Ok, I doubt the kid will ever pass anyone again. But they had no respect for anyone, the kid, the people held up behind them, me. And set up a potentially violent response from a host of potentially armed people. Spooky.

I think sterilization would be a good start.....however termination would solve the problem

Great idea.

Be sure to start with yourself and your family.

Just kidding. Really.

I like all this talk about sterilization and extermination.

Maybe we can make people wear symbols on their clothes and restrict their movement inside cities.

Later we'll set up work camps for the subhumans.

If a few or all die from working, so be it.

I know I might not be talking "PC" but you know I'm right.

Right guys?

I mean anything for a little order, and to right injustices that have been done to the good guys.

Well, before we get wrapped around the axle talking about burly meth heads or alluding to the Holocaust, let's bring this back on track.

We're talking about some jerk who allegedly pulled a gun that he could not possibly have been legally licensed to carry, opening fire on a couple of teens, killing a 17-year-old girl who should currently be preparing for graduation and one of the happiest events in her young life, in front of proud parents who will now never see her married, give them grandchildren and prove they weren't such bad parents after all.

Anger about this little scum, if he is indeed guilty, is understandable. He's an animal. With rabies. What happens to rabid animals?

The interesting thing is that so far, nobody has been able to come up with any criminal history on the suspect. Zip. And suddenly he's up with a pistol pumping lead into a couple of young people who were, according to all that is known, simply trying to return a cell phone to one of this guy's buddies.

And he shot them for that?

You cannot identify people like this in advance like you can a banger or some other gang thug with a rap sheet.

But you cannot defend their actions, either, through sarcasm.

Perspective, folks. Perspective. Let's maintain some of that, eh?

Maybe he thought he could earn "respect" (a.k.a.- fear, like RVTECH noted) from his peers by killing a person or two.

The interesting thing is that so far, nobody has been able to come up with any criminal history on the suspect. Zip.
Just means he hadn't been caught yet (we know at the minimum he was illegally carrying), not necessarily that he was a squeaky clean young role-model.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top