JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I keep both of my shotguns in a SKB <broken link removed> with two combination padlocks (one in each end)

It's as safe as a gun safe, but it has the advantage of being great for traveling.

:s0114:

Made out of ABS? No offense but I could have that thing open in less than 5 minutes with the pocket knife I have in my pants right now, give me a pry bar or bolt cutters and it would take about a minute.

I'm afraid I'll never make a good dad, even if I underwent a lot of surgery. :s0114: But as a mom, I thank you just the same. I'm trying. :)

Wholeheartedly agree. I grew up watching animals get slaughtered on our farm, but for my kids who live in a neighborhood... right... about that... I decided to get a rabbit as a demonstration, but thankfully for me, in the end I was able to take them to watch a couple cow/yak butcherings instead. It makes a HUGE difference if they see firsthand why we say guns are off limits. I also showed and talked with them about tragic news article online where kids their age died from getting a hold of a firearm without their parents. They don't forget these things and though it could sound awful to a lot of people, it's honesty that I think they need. And can easily be done in positive truthful light to understand respect of a firearm, not as a mean scare tactic that leaves them thinking guns are "bad."

Sorry "MOM" :s0114::s0112:

:s0114:

Made out of ABS? No offense but I could have that thing open in less than 5 minutes with the pocket knife I have in my pants right now, give me a pry bar or bolt cutters and it would take about a minute.

Actually it is not made of ABS. It's made of high-strength polypropylene copolymer resin and made to meet military standards (MIL-STD-810F, MIL-STD-648C and IP67)

I never said it is impossible for a thief to break into the case. All I said was that I considered it pretty child-proof (when used with combination padlocks) and great if you want to take your guns with you on a trip.

And if your kids have access to knives and bolt cutters and know how to use it... well you should be worried about a lot more than just keeping your guns safe. ;)

Hey everyone.
I have 2 boys, 5 and 8 and of course they are curious about lots of things.
I have decided in order to protect them from bad guys, I am going to purchase a shotgun (probably a Mossburg since im a lefty).
I thought the best way to keep it away from their natural curiosity is to keep it on a shelf on the closet during the day with some type of trigger guard or something and have it available next to the bed when I go to sleep.
I also am going to buy a Glock 23 but I have a safe already for that.
Please let me know what works for all of you and I will take that into consideration once I return to having firearms in the house.

We've got a 12 and 4 year old here. The 12 year old was first exposed to guns at the age of 8, and was taught the ins and outs of what they are, how they work, and what they can do. I showed him youtube vids of target shooting. I showed him vids of me out target shooting. I also showed him vids of tests on ballistic gel and explained the wound channel he was seeing is what happens to a body when it's struck by the bullet. He also got to help me clean my guns when I came back from the range.
My four year old was helping me load magazines at 2, and knows that even when he 'plays' guns that his fingers/pseudo gun never ever gets pointed at a person.

With that said;

All but 3 of our guns are in the case. Those have trigger or cable locks, and there is no ammo stored in unlocked containers. My pistol and my wife's are in separate lock boxen for ease of access. I also have the HD shotgun on a hook above the bedroom door. The ammo is in my bedside safe.

You want safety? Teach them. The curiosity is what gets kids killed, that and sloppy safety measures. Teach them respect for the tools and they won't associate them as toys.

I am very pro “educating and fullfilling their curiosity” and feel it’s never too young to start teaching. This is probably at least equal to the importance of a gun safe in my thinking.

Here is something that I hadn’t considered as much with my little guys… other people’s homes... Later that day he told me about it and told me how he really wanted to touch it, but knew he shouldn’t just like at home. His babysitter had been impressed at how strong he stood in his position and said she herself learned something when he and his sister went over some muzzle control and finger off the trigger safety talk during that exchange. She said for herself and her siblings, their LEO parents had maintained guns to be "off limits" and locked up. They had never learned gun safety nor were they allowed to touch a gun.

Up until then, I honestly hadn’t considered my kids encountering guns at other people’s houses at their young age since I don’t often leave them anywhere. But this affirmed for me to continue my attempts of training them right alongside myself, because you just never know when they might have their own encounters without you… even in the room next door, home or not.

You want safety? Teach them. The curiosity is what gets kids killed, that and sloppy safety measures. Teach them respect for the tools and they won't associate them as toys.

Education is the best way to keep children safe around firearms closely followed by a strict and consistent regimen of physically securing your guns.

34 years later, I still remember the twitches and cries of the poor little cute bunnies my dad shot when I was 5. They sure were tasty!:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top