JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Didn't see any posts come up for this in a search. Received an email from OFF about this heinous bill in committee.

"
"01.30.2020

As expected, the Democrats in Salem are wasting no time trying to ram through their anti-gun agenda.

HB 4005, mandatory gun lock ups, is now scheduled for Feb 7th at 1pm in Hearing Room E at the State Capitol by the House Judiciary Committee.
(Of course everything is subject to change.)

This bill not only forces you to lock up your self defense firearms, it punishes you even if you DO lock up firearms. While it penalizes gun owners if their firearms are stolen, it does nothing to penalize gun thieves.

The bill makes you strictly liable for misuse of guns that were stolen from you!
It requires that you use dangerous and easily defeated "trigger" or "cable" locks that violate every rule of gun safety but mandates that you be prosecuted if you use them and a thief can defeat them, which of course any thief can.

The bill also virtually eliminates minor's use of firearms even to protect themselves and their families in their own homes. Under this bill, a 17 year old with years of shooting experience would not be allowed to have access to a self defense firearm. Imagine how this will effect families in remote areas.

Needless to say this bill will have a devastating effect on youth shooting programs.

The bill requires (for no discernible reason) that firearms that are lawfully transferred (through gun dealers) are locked up during transfer and makes the transferor liable for two years for misuse of a legally transferred firearm if it was not locked. This assumes that for some reason the person to whom you lawfully transferred a firearm, with a background check, will not remove the required lock…for two years!

None of the components of this bill make anyone safer. In fact, these rules can easily get people killed in the event of a criminal attack.

Please use this form to contact the Oregon House members and demand that they vote this bill down in committee. You may alter the subject line and add your own message if you choose. (Not required.)

You can email testimony against this bill to the House Judiciary Committee here: [email protected]

The day before this bill is scheduled, February 6th, gun owners are encouraged to join our friends from Timber Unity on the Capitol Steps at 9am to stand up for liberty. Oregon Firearms Federation has been invited and we hope to see you there.

View On Webpage."

I just wrote an email letter to my representative...

Dear Honorable Representative Evans,

It is with great alarm that I am writing you to oppose HB4005 that apparently has been introduced into committee. I can't understand how anyone could think this bill is a good idea except criminals who want easy prey. Please do anything in your power to oppose this bill becoming law, for the sake of all law-abiding Oregon citizens. We are assured by the United States Constitution, 2nd Amendment that our right to bear arms will not be infringed. This is a blatant attempt to do just that.

Sincerely,

Dr. Steve Campbell

The bill also virtually eliminates minor's use of firearms even to protect themselves and their families in their own homes. Under this bill, a 17 year old with years of shooting experience would not be allowed to have access to a self defense firearm. Imagine how this will effect families in remote areas.

I've read many stories across the years of youths around the entire nation that have protected their families, siblings, by having access to a firearm and using it in self defense. Depriving citizens of this ability is insanity.

I have no kids in my home. My firearms are always locked up by the locks on the doors, windows, and garage. And if I had to have a cable lock on my handguns, how would I be able to use them if needed during a home invasion robbery or assault???

I'm not going to wear a handgun in the house... just not. How I place my firearms for home defense is MY business. They need to stay out of my bedroom!!!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top