JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
"Republican" Introduces "Bump-Stock" Ban

member_photo.jpg
House Rep Cheri Helt, (R. District 54) rated "F" by Oregon Firearms Federation, has demonstrated her predictable ignorance and introduced a "bump-stock" ban.

https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2019R1/Downloads/MeasureDocument/HB2929/Introduced

Use or transfer of a "bump-stock" will result in a $2000.00 fine.

The bill says : "Bump-fire stock" means a buttstock designed to be attached to a semiautomatic firearm with the effect of increasing the rate of fire achievable by the semiautomatic firearm to that of a fully automatic firearm by using the energy from the recoil of the firearm to generate reciprocating action that facilitates repeated activation of the trigger."

Whatever you think of bump-stocks, any knowledgable gun owner knows that you can "bump-fire" a rifle with no modifications. And a skilled person can fire, with an unmodified gun, about as quickly as with a bump stock.

So will Helt be fining people for having good reflexes?

This pointless legislation is just one more attack on gun owners and accomplishes nothing but create another avenue for the state to get into your pocket.

It's tiresome that legislators feel the need to write laws about things they don't understand just to amp up their political correctness street cred.

Please sent Helt a message that you oppose this pointless waste of time and attempt to deprive law abiding Oregonians of their rights and property. Click here Votility

I don't get it, weren't they already done in federally? I like that its just a $2k fine another get money fast scheme. Doesn't say they are banned just you get a fine. They need to clarify more but I know thats not in the job description.

Makes me wonder how ez it must be to become a politician and write whatever you want, imagine if we got some worthwhile people in these spots.

Not condoning anything just mentioning. Good to name another turncoat.

I don't get it, weren't they already done in federally?

Yes. And the penalty at the federal level if you are caught with one on and after March 26th, is the same as if you were popped with an unregistered machine-gun. As in you're going away to the federal system for a while, pay a fine, and lose your RKBA forever.

This proposed state-level legislation would have been moronic before the reclassification. Now it is stunningly so.

You bet I'm going to write. I will be writing my own personal email, though. Correct me if you think I'm wrong, but these pre-written, identical emails aren't likely to be as effective.

EDIT: email sent opposing in no uncertain terms HB 2929

Last Edited:
While this legislation is thoroughly irrelevant in light of the federal ruling, it does illustrate a painful truth about the present situation: the legislatures are populated by people who are as smug as they are profoundly stupid. :rolleyes:

While this legislation is thoroughly irrelevant in light of the federal ruling, it does illustrate a painful truth about the present situation: the legislatures are populated by people who are as smug as they are profoundly stupid. :rolleyes:
And the reason why the Oregon State Capital Building needs to be fumigated while all the Legislative vermin are inside...

not sure how all these bump stocks work, but if it doesn't have a spring or other mechanism to store the energy of recoil, then it wouldn't be affected by the bill "by using the energy from the recoil of the firearm to generate reciprocating action" . Don't some of them at least just use a sliding stock with no spring, and you have to pull the gun forward continually to achieve automatic fire?

not sure how all these bump stocks work, but if it doesn't have a spring or other mechanism to store the energy of recoil, then it wouldn't be affected by the bill "by using the energy from the recoil of the firearm to generate reciprocating action" . Don't some of them at least just use a sliding stock with no spring, and you have to pull the gun forward continually to achieve automatic fire?
good thought but the recoil is necessary to cause reciprocation so I think their description covers it. If they had written something like this "by using only the energy from the recoil of the firearm to generate reciprocating action" then you might be on to something. I love looking for loopholes on this type of stuff. Good try though!

The energy from the recoil is only operating in one direction. You have to supply the energy to move the firearm in the other direction. If you one-hand it and it doesn't repeat, then it's not recoil energy to reciprocate.

The energy from the recoil is only operating in one direction. You have to supply the energy to move the firearm in the other direction. If you one-hand it and it doesn't repeat, then it's not recoil energy to reciprocate.
Exactly, so you could say half the energy for the reciprocation process is coming from recoil and half from your arm pulling it. Since the law doesn't specify how much of the energy has to come from recoil, they might consider half the energy enough.

Is it bad that I just like all the videos of Jerry Miculek coming out proving his finger is just as fast as a bump stock because it was cited in the court case?

The bump stock company is dead, over time the bump stock will be as well. The very definition of inalienable means not just that it can not be taken but that it can not be given.

The bill of rights should have been called the bill of restrictions because it is just forcing them to restrict themselves from infringing on your natural rights.

The law is force, and force is a horrible way of dictating human action as it can only encourage people to behave not ensure it. If you want good behavior pacifying the individual through liberty and providing an environment of happiness will lead to less unruly behavior. (And more productivity)

Our forefathers understood human nature, too bad it's knowledge was lost somewhere along the way.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top