JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
<broken link removed> was signed today by Gov. Kitzhaber (http://governor.oregon.gov/Gov/media_room/bills_signed/bills.shtml do a search for 2792 in the "data frame"). Since the law declares an emergency it takes effect on passage.

CHL holders may now carry loaded on ATVs etc. :D

I hope this will make its way down to the appropriate LEOs without much delay.

For those that don't know the <broken link removed> it also defines unloaded and changes how felons can get their right to own and carry a firearm restored.

Since I am not a lawyer this is only my personal view. If there are any lawyers out there that disagree with my interpretation please let us know!

Good News The bolded is my favorite part.

SECTION 6. ORS 821.240 is amended to read:
821.240. (1) A person commits the offense of operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle
while carrying a firearm or bow if the person operates any snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle with
a firearm in the possession of the person, unless the firearm is unloaded, or with a bow, unless all
arrows are in a quiver.
(2) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to a person who is licensed under ORS
166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.

(3) As used in this section, "unloaded" means:
(a) If the firearm is a revolver, that there is no live cartridge in the chamber that is
aligned with the hammer of the revolver;
(b) If the firearm is a muzzle-loading firearm, that the firearm is not capped or primed;
or
(c) If the firearm is other than a revolver or a muzzle-loading firearm, that there is no
live cartridge in the chamber.
[(2)] (4) The offense described in this section, operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle
while carrying a firearm or bow, is a Class B traffic violatio

Put 5 rounds in your six-shooter and you're good even without a CCW? That's just odd.
I actually see some positive thinking on this part. While most of us know and understand that a round in the chamber of most handguns can be safe, "they" are allowing one to carry a loaded gun as long as a round is not chambered. Also note that a rifle can be loaded, as long as a round is not chambered. Much more useful than a completely empty firearm.
Remember that a revolver doesn't fire the round that's in line with the barrel when the hammer is down. That's the last round to be fired.
And for those of us with old style single actions, that's how we carry them anyway!

I'd say this is positive news.

(1) A person commits the offense of operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle
while carrying a firearm or bow if the person operates any snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle with
a firearm in the possession of the person, unless the firearm is unloaded, or with a bow, unless all
arrows are in a quiver.

(2) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to a person who is licensed under ORS
166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.

This would seem to mean that a CHL holder can carry ANY firearm with a round in the chamber on an ATV now. Correct?

pretty disappointing. they gutted out the provision to allow out of state CPL's

Agreed, the Oregon House voted it good to go but the Oregon Senate yanked it out and sent it back to the house. Oregon State honors no outside CPL or permits. Thats the same thing as good old firearm unfriendly California! Oregon is better than that! I drive down to Portland a few times each year and it sucks to have to unload at the river just to cross 2 miles into Oregon. Getting OR permit appointment thing is a pain and for me I am only there for 1 day at a time, and always working that 1 day. Keep on your Senate you Oregonians to get reciprocity added next time around. - G

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top